X-Box One/PS4: What have you got...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: X-Box One/PS4: What have you got...

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:27 pm

gman72 wrote: I've read through the Xbox One PS4 discussion thread a few times... even in the sanitised condition it is in now it's pretty mental reading it really starts to kick off about page 20 and keeps up the drama until page 100 or so... then it calms and we all start discussing games :lol: There is some seriously jaded garbage in that thread... as for our JXD spat... it was when we were ordering hit men to go to each others houses that alarm bells started to ring. :lol:
I think we both need to get a full refund from those useless goons!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:41 am

Looks like the XBO could be getting a hardware upgrade:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-o ... 0-6435221/

32X must be turning in it's grave... :P

Also, Xbox users to get more Windows 10 apps and Forza 6 comming to PC as a "free to play" (!) title:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-o ... 0-6435073/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/forza- ... 0-6435217/

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:56 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: 32X must be turning in it's grave... :P
Upgrade and add-on. Two different things. As a PC owner you ought to know the difference. Like I always say when it comes to you. A fundamental lack of understanding of console gaming.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:55 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:Also, Xbox users to get more Windows 10 apps and Forza 6 comming to PC as a "free to play" (!) title:
Hmm...something from PC's coming to consoles and PC owners getting a previously console-exclusive title? Seems like a bit of PC promotion which I'm not sure has anything to do with the XBO.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:38 pm

I think it's just a sign of the way things are going at Microsoft. Nadella seems to want a single software platform across all the company's products; so Windows is coming to Xbox, and Xbox is coming to Windows. There'll be practical limits to how far it can go though and yes, it's probably more about incentivising people to upgrade to Windows 10 than adding any useful capabilities to the XB1, at least for now.

As for a hardware upgrade, I'd suspect it's just talk. It'd be technically possible to replace the APU with something that's totally backwards compatible but, short of bringing it to graphical parity with the PS4 for those who can spot the difference, there'd seem little point in doing so. Maybe they'll do a model that upscales to 4K at some point though.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:09 am

I can't see how upgradeable hardware would work with this console generation, maybe it is something they are looking at for next gen although I don't think it is what most people want.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:10 am

gman72 wrote:
Upgrade and add-on. Two different things. As a PC owner you ought to know the difference. Like I always say when it comes to you. A fundamental lack of understanding of console gaming.
So, would you upgrade to a "Xbox One version 2" with better internals if MS decided to release it this or the following year? :wink:

Hardware upgrades and add-ons on consoles are historically proven to not be very successful unless they aren't of a very significant matter or if they come included with the games themselves. Console players typically expect their system to last for atleast a few years without any need for upgrades. The console market is different to that of the PC and phones where new models keep comming out on a regular basis and consumers are okay with that.

I have been playing on consoles since the Atari 2600 and had a console to accompany the PC up to the Xbox 360. This is the first console gen where I have no current console system and do my gaming exclusively on the PC. But even I can tell you that modern consoles really are just middle-specced and more limited PCs, from their hardware architecture, functionality to game distribution and accessories. The last "true" game console was the N64, that is, a inexpensive TV box that simply played games and nothing more. Also, console gaming and PC gaming used to be a lot more different in the past and this difference is what some of us preferred to the "multi-platform" mess of today.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
gman72 wrote:
So, would you upgrade to a "Xbox One version 2" with better internals if MS decided to release it this or the following year? :wink:

Hardware upgrades and add-ons on consoles are historically proven to not be very successful unless they aren't of a very significant matter or if they come included with the games themselves. Console players typically expect their system to last for atleast a few years without any need for upgrades. The console market is different to that of the PC and phones where new models keep comming out on a regular basis and consumers are okay with that.

I have been playing on consoles since the Atari 2600 and had a console to accompany the PC up to the Xbox 360. This is the first console gen where I have no current console system and do my gaming exclusively on the PC. But even I can tell you that modern consoles really are just middle-specced and more limited PCs, from their hardware architecture, functionality to game distribution and accessories. The last "true" game console was the N64, that is, a inexpensive TV box that simply played games and nothing more. Also, console gaming and PC gaming used to be a lot more different in the past and this difference is what some of us preferred to the "multi-platform" mess of today.
Twaddle.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:10 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:. The last "true" game console was the N64, that is, a inexpensive TV box that simply played games and nothing more. .
Interesting that you mention the N64 because it offers a nice example of a console being upgraded. The N64's memory expansion pack, and how it was used in various ways, shows how easily standardized hardware can be enhanced.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:00 pm

PostieDoc wrote:I can't see how upgradeable hardware would work with this console generation, maybe it is something they are looking at for next gen although I don't think it is what most people want.
I expect it'd work just like with recent Nintendo handhelds where, in amongst all the cosmetically different models, they've thrown in a couple of with improved hardware in the shape of the DSi and the 3DS. They run essentially the same software as their predecessors, but offer enhancements in some games and a few exclusives.

They've sold fairly well, but I'd suspect that it's mostly because they supplanted the original models in the marketplace rather than because many people decided they needed an upgrade. There certainly aren't a huge amount of games that really need the enhancements offered by either, and I suspect it'd play out much the same way if Microsoft offered an upgraded version of the XBox One hardware. Still, the longer this generation rumbles on, the greater the chance that they might be able to offer a significant upgrade.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:06 am

The Beans wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:. The last "true" game console was the N64, that is, a inexpensive TV box that simply played games and nothing more. .
Interesting that you mention the N64 because it offers a nice example of a console being upgraded. The N64's memory expansion pack, and how it was used in various ways, shows how easily standardized hardware can be enhanced.
N64 memory expansion was designed for 64DD which was in development prior to the release of the console since they were aware that the storage limitations of the cartridge format will be an obstacle for developers later on. But since the 64DD got delayed, they probably thought "hey, let's do something with this memory pack" and released it as an add-on which was usually used to enhance supported games' resolution. Only a few games used it for more than increased resolution, with a few requiring it to even run. But while I personally found it to be a cool add-on, reading up gaming forums years later revealed that there were quite some examples of confused players who didn't know they needed it to play some games and there were also cases where the custom memory packs froze up games or worse. Furthermore, the trend of fully supporting that memory expansion was later on slowly abandoned because devs wanted better sales so we can't say it exactly unified the player base. And that was just a simple RAM module, how much more complicated would changing a CPU or GPU be? Those who modded the original Xbox might have also replaced the CPU and added more RAM to it, but that was clearly in the enthusiast niche and such practices are now persecuted by MS. At the point where custom, upgradable hardware is the norm, you really are speaking about the PC and not a console anymore.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:47 pm

Looks like im gonna have to get a ps4 since capcom are not releasing for xbox one grr...

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:19 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:Looks like im gonna have to get a ps4 since capcom are not releasing for xbox one grr...
That's not true though. Sony paid massive bucks for street fighter exclusivity - that's a platform exclusive by the way, not timed - but Capcom have released Dead Rising 3, Devil May Cry 4 special Ed, Resi evil 0, 1, revelations -and 2 on the Xbox one so its far from a closed platform to Capcom. If another Street Fighter means that much to you then fair enough but Capcom have a library on the Xbox one.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:59 am

gman72 wrote:
MadManDan79 wrote:Looks like im gonna have to get a ps4 since capcom are not releasing for xbox one grr...
That's not true though. Sony paid massive bucks for street fighter exclusivity - that's a platform exclusive by the way, not timed - but Capcom have released Dead Rising 3, Devil May Cry 4 special Ed, Resi evil 0, 1, revelations -and 2 on the Xbox one so its far from a closed platform to Capcom. If another Street Fighter means that much to you then fair enough but Capcom have a library on the Xbox one.
Ive been following street fighter since its release so will be looking to get it at some point - what i meant was that capcom are not release sfv for the xb1. I wasnt referring to other games made by capcom just the sf game...