Midnight Resistance - Any fans?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DoraemonTheCat

Midnight Resistance - Any fans?

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Have you ever played it and if so, did you like it or not?

The thread that inspired this was the Contra Timeline, strangely enough. I always thought it was a little similar. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

But, I loved playing the arcade version. Loved the control system for firing weapons in different directions. And some of the weapons were pretty cool.

IronMaidenRule

Re: Midnight Resistance - Any fans?

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:52 pm

I only played the C64 version but recalled liking it a lot. Think I first played it on a Commodore Force demo tape then found a copy at the local market :mrgreen: , there might have been loading times in between levels.

Guess that would have been my first introduction to run and gun games, wasn't very good at it then and still aren't.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:05 pm

Only ever saw an arcade machine once and I was terrible at it.

Remember a Sinclair User demo that made me want the game and I ordered it from my moms catalogue - got it earlier than the shops and played it constantly for weeks. Spectrum version is proof that even a bit of colour clash cant stop a good game. Chunky sprites and great music (some of which I can still hear if i think back). Every now and then I replay it on an emulator.

The Megadrive version wasnt too bad and is worth having if you can find it - good graphics and fairly faithful with a few different control methods to suit most players.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:38 am

Great thread

I left the Speccy in the late 80's and it must have been just before Midnight Resistance. Years later i thought i'll try some of the late Speccy games to see what gems i can find. Midnight Resistance was amazing on the Speccy. Loved it, tons of levels, played so well, think Jim Bagley coded it which was a great job.

Used to play that tons till i completed it, was quite easy on the Speccy to be fair. Regularly play it on MAME now but a great arcade conversion on the Speccy, very impressive.

Just proves if you got the right coder they could create a great conversion, wish the likes of Jim worked on stuff like Mercs, Jackal, Nemesis on the Speccy instead of the dire efforts we were forced to get.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:18 am

I played the Amiga version of MR which for me is the best version. I've played the coin op on emulator and it didn't feel as tight with the controls although I may be guilty of judging too quickly. :)

Here's the Amiga version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvUHSj1kEd0

Compared to the Coin op:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeYQU7fJsK4

Now that I'm thinking about it - I think MAME struggled with the rotational control setup so maybe that's why I haven't played it properly?

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:33 am

I totally love the Amiga version and it's probably my favourite Amiga coin-op conversion. Sometime I'd play it with a college friend when we had a few hours off between classes, or with my brother or friends from our road. It was excellent with two people, though I've played it a lot on my own, too.

I nominated it for the Retro League a while back and finished it with a score of 122,360. I even mapped it and sent the maps to the Hall of Light Amiga database. I'm a bit rusty now, but I think I wrote myself some tips in each level for future reference.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:33 pm

One of my fave games of this type, even has one of the coolest arcade names ever! First played the coin op (Ikari controls!!!!) in Morecambe, probly 89/90 or so, played the ace Speccy demo, got it on pirate Amiga, again ace, then got given the C64 one from a guy at school, blobby but another good version, ended up with my fave one, the Jap MD with the cool cover, I think it's the funnest version, I favour the 'toggle autofire/hold other two buttons to rotate left/right' method, it's just a bloody great game, never played a bad version of it!!!:)

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:33 pm

I love the speccy version, one of my favourite games. Probably my first introduction to a love of run and gun games.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:47 pm

It was my very first username on ebay too - thats how much i love it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Amiga version was ace, used to love playing it

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:36 pm

I enjoyed playing the ST version very much - but only with the cheat code activated! :D Seriously though the variety of levels, baddies and weapon power-ups kept the game interesting.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:14 am

Great game! I even prefer it to the Contra games, not because it's better but because it is easier and less stressful! :D

Most conversions were pretty good; Spectrum, C64, Amstrad and ST were all reasonably playable - but the stand out conversions for me was the Amiga and Megadrive ones.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:19 am

I loved Midnight Resistance on the Speccy. The rotational controls make it less good on MAME if I remember rightly. I wonder if a wired Xbox 360 pad would work well though.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:21 pm

I have an original arcade board and the LS-30 rotary sticks to go with. Its a fantastic game, played it to death. Might even be willing to sell if anyones interested.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Jim Bagley's Spectrum conversion is ace!