Horizontal vs Vertical Shooters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How do you prefer your Shooters/Shmups

Horizontal
28%
Vertical
34%
Either
38%
Don't Like Shooting Stuff
No votes

Total votes: 32

Matt_B

Re: Horizontal vs Vertical Shooters

Post by Matt_B » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:33 pm

I'd lean towards horizontal shooters for aesthetic reasons, particularly when most machines have a display that's wider than it is tall. Still, vertical shooters can work well on arcade machines with the right screen ratio, and also on tablets where you can alter the orientation. Bizarre though this may sound, I don't think I ever really clicked with Raiden until I played it on the Nexus 7.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:05 am

Wow I though the voting would be overwhelmingly 'either' Rtype and Raiden 2 are inseparable. You can like one more than the other but you can't say one is better. Well you can... opinions 'eh? nightmare
Scott me up beamie!

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:28 am

Too hard! Too many great games each way!
Gradius, Life Force, Parodius & Burai Fighter vs Galaga, 1942, Space Invaders & Xenon? Hmm... maybe I'll go with something like Axelay or Vanguard that do both.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:56 am

c0nfu53d wrote:Horizontal shooters have always been my favorite. Fun times with Side Arms & Salamander sparked my love of side scrollers though to be honest I dont play them as much these days.
although Salamander was both horizontal and vertical of course

How many other games have done that? Terra Force would be one
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:27 am

thebear wrote: although Salamander was both horizontal and vertical of course
How many other games have done that?
You've just opened a can of worms...
Scott me up beamie!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:33 am

Oh! I'm trying to remember but there was a Speccy one that went both ways (fnar etc etc). It might have been called Dominator or something. I vaguely remember it being on the cover of one of the mags with the words 'belly of the beast' involved somewhere.

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:37 pm

I spent the weekend playing Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn - First time getting a go of it. Have to say it certainly lives up to the hype as one of the best ever. Ikaruga should be up for a blast this coming weekend too.

Though I would have no preference over vertical or horizontal shooters. Either or for me. Always been one of my favored game types. Especially when it comes to a retro-fix. As a whole the great ones really stand the test of time quite well.

I remember Dominator on the C64. System 3's shooter? I do remember the advert looking fantastic; a ship hurtling towards a gaping maw at the end of a metallic corridor, great music too but a somewhat underwhelming game if I recall. Talking of Salamander though, the C64 port was bloody ace.

Must attack the stack of other shooters on the Saturn. Seems to be a stack of great ones for that system.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 am

Always with the Ikaruga or Radiant Thingie whenever shmups are being talked about.

Am I the only one that DIDNT like those?

Though when I think about it, I'm generally not a fan of anything shmuppy that Treasure makes.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:46 pm

Recently discovered Super Aleste thanks to the Wii TheNewMonkey kindly sold me - brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Too bloody easy by half, though.

davyK

Post by davyK » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Recently discovered Super Aleste thanks to the Wii TheNewMonkey kindly sold me - brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Too bloody easy by half, though.
On default settings it is a bit easy - but that is it's lowest setting...experiment with the options - pressing left and right from the initial setting will give you harder modes and also 2 arrange modes with suicide bullets.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:19 pm

^ Have only tried the default difficulty so far, will have a go with suicide bullets. Such a great game, really like some of the level design.