Horizontal vs Vertical Shooters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How do you prefer your Shooters/Shmups

Horizontal
28%
Vertical
34%
Either
38%
Don't Like Shooting Stuff
No votes

Total votes: 32

Scratch_Porkings

Re: Horizontal vs Vertical Shooters

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:03 am

I swing both ways, err... I still cant work out in these games why nobody sends an army to combat the incoming threat. They always send me on my own?
Scott me up beamie!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:02 am

Dave300 wrote:I voted vertical as going left and right feels more natural in a shooter than going up and down. Xenon 2 and all that...

But then again R-Type...

#dividebyzero! :shock:
Horizontal feels more natural so you voted vertical?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:58 am

Scratch_Porkings wrote:I swing both ways, err... I still cant work out in these games why nobody sends an army to combat the incoming threat. They always send me on my own?
It's usually because there's only one pilot in the area, only one prototype ship remains after all the other Earth/colony/whatever defences were destroyed or a large battle cruiser would never make it through the enemy barrage whilst a single one-person fighter stands a chance of slipping through the cracks.

i voted "both", i lean towards horizontal and favourites include the Gradius series, Io or R-Type but i enjoy a lot of vertical blasting too like Ikaruga and Viper Phase 1.

Provvidenza

Post by Provvidenza » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:40 am

Back in the Mega Drive days it was definitely horizontal shmups, Hellfire was and probably still is my favourite shmup of all time.
But since the arrival of the PS1 and Saturn, and tate mode, vertical shmups are what I play the most these days, and they're pretty awesome.
I also like the landscape format vertical shmups, Radiant Silvergun, Soukyugurentai Otokuyo and the two Giga Wings are superb.
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:27 am

I love my shmups, however I'm all about the Vertical shooters, without blowing my own trumpet I'm a bit good at Ikaruga/Gigawing, but I can not get on with Horizontal shooters at all.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:27 am

As much as i love R-Type I've gone with Vertical.

1942, Xenon and Swiv won it for me.

skooldaze_eric

Post by skooldaze_eric » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:22 am

Voted for either as I like both. In the 90s it would be horizontal, but lately I think there have been better vertical

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:38 pm

SpiffierRabbit wrote:I love my shmups, however I'm all about the Vertical shooters, without blowing my own trumpet I'm a bit good at Ikaruga/Gigawing, but I can not get on with Horizontal shooters at all.
Now now, I've seen some of your crazy Giga Wing scores! Insane stuff.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:47 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
nokgod wrote:and Moon Cresta
I do like abit of moon cresta...

...but not enough to sway my vote to vertical
....and i like a bit of Scramble, but not enough to sway my vote to horizontal :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:39 pm

I think the vertical games like Gorf, Twinkle Tale, Elemental Master and 1942 swings the vote for me.. The only Horizontal stuff I liked was Death Smiles 1 and 2 which I can 1cc but can come nowhere close to beating 'Miserys' scores.. Was never any good on the older horizontal games like Nemesis/Gradious, Vulcan Venture, X Multiply etc.. Stuff like Zero Wing and Hellfire with all those different weapons and being attack from behind..

I found a game in the attic Sol Divide a 2d fantasy horizontal game with females instead of ships and Greek Monsters as bosses again I want to like it but way to hard
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

davyK

Post by davyK » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Overall I prefer vertical (Super Aleste, Layer Section, Soukyugarentai, DoDonPachi , Raiden, Gunbird 2 and earlier stuff like Phoenix, Xevious and Galaga Arrangement - even Space Invaders pt. II), but I also love a good hori too - Parodius and R-Type for example.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Has to be either, for me. So many great games of either type. A great shooter is a great shooter, direction doesn't matter.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Totally adore either. Gyruss I think would be my fave- Which one's that? :lol: I think that would class as a vertical shooter really, Galaga basically.

Faves for me incl Xevious, Time Pilot, Scramble, Space Invaders- Tons really.

Robotron is one of my all time faves, if not the all time fave. It's a shooter although I've never considered it one for some weird reason.

Shooters would be my fave genre despite being rubbish at them

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Gradius V GradiusV!

Eat your nans pants

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:17 am

I tend towards horizontal, for subtle reasons. Favourites would be R-Type, Thunder Cross II, Progear, and Agony on the Amiga. Vertically would be Raiden II, Gunbird II and Trigon.

With horizontal scrollers you usually get a side-on view, which gives for some creatively interesting sprites. With the top view of a vertical scroller you get some great designs of ships too, but they can end up samey, and symmetry is just boring - unless there's some really nice shading going on.

Again, side on can be a little less cluttered. There might be scenery to dodge and some parallax, distant background, but when flying all over a detailed vertical background things can get lost.

One thing I hate in vertical shooters is a separate button to bomb things on the ground. Horizontal shooters might have bombs, but you've always got the option of just flying low and taking out the target with normal fire.

Another thing I really hate in a vertical shooter is when the screen is still horizontal. You just end up with too much area to cover, and cheap-shot enemies coming from both upper corners of the screen at the same time and heading diagonally straight for you. Xenon II managed to avoid that with decent swirly attack patterns and multiple paths, but for me it completely ruins Lightforce on the Speccy and the vertical stages of Salamander. Series that jumped to the Neo-Geo hardware all went that way - even worse, Ghost Pilots actually extends the widescreen play area even wider with horizontal scrolling.

So a good vertical shooter with a vertically-oriented screen and no bomb-only targets and I'll be OK.