SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which is the bestest?

SFII Turbo - SNES
42
70%
SFII 'whatever it was called I think it was Special Champ Edition' - MD
18
30%
 
Total votes: 60

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:08 am

If you vote anything other than SNES you are wrong and forever will be. That said? I'm interested in just how much wrong is about on here. No need to explain why 'cos most of the discussion has been had on the other thread.

In honour of this discussion I shall be firing up both versions on EMUs 8) however that won't count for anything because the controls will be naff :( I might even dig out my xbox and run them on coinops.

Ps

I haven't added any other versions because I want to know about these 2 specific versions

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6510
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by merman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:42 am

Turbo is great, playing as the big four is so much fun.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:49 am

I can confirm that SFII on EMUs is just not the same, not even nearly :(

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by RetroBob » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:18 am

It's not really a fair comparison because they are different games. If you compare the two, especially as PAL gamers then really there is no competition, 'CE can be sped up, has the bosses playable and is generally fresher than the original SF II - so like I said, not really a fair comparison.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by samhain81 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:19 am

I must be wrong then. what you gonna do?

User avatar
SuperFamiKing
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:54 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by SuperFamiKing » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:24 am

Mugodrive versions were a joke compared to the snes ones.

Smegodrive ones always felt clumsy and rough around the edges next to the snes (much the same debate as the aladdin games for me)......sound was the biggest turn off though, I know some people disagree but the snes pad was also perfect for the sf games, the cheap plastic 6 button side by side sega pad just didn't cut it imo.

The snes versions just had that extra spit and polish.
Image

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:32 am

SuperFamiKing wrote:Mugodrive...

Smegodrive...
Did you write for the Official Nintendo Magazine (or whatever name it had that week?) at any time during the 90s by any chance?

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:38 am

samhain81 wrote:I must be wrong then. what you gonna do?
I don't need to do anything, you're doing it all for me.

User avatar
thompson9980
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by thompson9980 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:42 am

Great thread!

I'm going to play both before voting fairly. Its about time I freshened up my current setup.
SuperFamiKing wrote:the snes pad was also perfect for the sf games, the cheap plastic 6 button side by side sega pad just didn't cut it imo.
Is this not more a case of what you're used to? For example, I much prefer the XBOX 360 controller as opposed to the Playstation one but is that because its better? Or that I'm just used to it? Genuine question.
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:45 am

thompson9980 wrote:Great thread!

I'm going to play both before voting fairly. Its about time I freshened up my current setup.
SuperFamiKing wrote:the snes pad was also perfect for the sf games, the cheap plastic 6 button side by side sega pad just didn't cut it imo.
Is this not more a case of what you're used to? For example, I much prefer the XBOX 360 controller as opposed to the Playstation one but is that because its better? Or that I'm just used to it? Genuine question.
Are you playing them on the proper consoles? :( I'm not and it's proper rank

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by samhain81 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:47 am

koopa42 wrote:
samhain81 wrote:I must be wrong then. what you gonna do?
I don't need to do anything, you're doing it all for me.
Am I now lol

bless

User avatar
thompson9980
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by thompson9980 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 am

koopa42 wrote:Are you playing them on the proper consoles? :( I'm not and it's proper rank
I will be later when I get all David Bellamy in the loft...

The only snag is that i reckon my SNES pad has a floppy R button.
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5476
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by Matt_B » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:58 am

As with all these things, it'll be the one you grew up with.

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:00 am

I would try both but I've only got access to vanilla SFII for the SNES - will that do?

User avatar
neo-geo-mvs
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:04 am
Location: Kent

Re: SFII (SNES) vs. SFII (MD)

Post by neo-geo-mvs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:08 am

SNES version FTW!

SNES was graphically/sound the better console imo :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests