Favourite First Person Shooter?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sirpigmeat

Re: Favourite First Person Shooter?

Post by sirpigmeat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:39 am

jdanddiet wrote:isn't 2nd person the pov of the person you're looking at? :?
I think they take it from narrative perspectives... second person is referencing the reader, like fighting fantasy... so second perspective is like when they tell you what buttons to press etc.

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:10 pm

You know, something I dislike about the modern FPS is how many of them 'follow the leader' by being "realistic" modern warfare type jobbies, or maybe with only a 'near future' setting bump if they are inclined towards a different setting in any way. Something still recognizable as an extension of 'the real world'.

Something I always liked about the days of Doom, Quake or Heretic was the pure fantasy of the settings.

In fact, Heretic type FPSes don't exist anymore. Why is that? It always felt like a viable sub-genre to me.

Always liked me a bit of fantasy storytelling.

I haven't really enjoyed an FPS since Doom 3.
Last edited by PlodMadLoon on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Doom or the first Halo

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 am

I enjoyed The Darkness enough to play it through multiple times, thoroughly enjoyed the story, it was quite challenging, and had some really well designed levels. Was really disappointed when I saw the direction they'd taken with the sequel, but may give it a go at today's prices.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:30 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:I enjoyed The Darkness enough to play it through multiple times, thoroughly enjoyed the story, it was quite challenging, and had some really well designed levels. Was really disappointed when I saw the direction they'd taken with the sequel, but may give it a go at today's prices.

The sequel is a fun game in it's own right; a lot more linear but fun, continues the story well and they finally gave him a sprint button. Even on the hardest difficulty it's still not very challenging and the multiplayer is dull

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:16 pm

quake 3, Metroid prime, halo, dark forces, in that order

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Gotta be Doom. I'm not actually a big fan of the genre (prefer tactical shooters) but I did enjoy several popular first-person perspective shooters like the Quake games, the Unreal games, the Half-Life games, the Halo games, the Jedi Knight games, ect.

retrogamesandfilms

Post by retrogamesandfilms » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:42 pm

Thought the Bioshock series was well done, not the usual WWII or the "look at me, all fur coat and no knickers" type. Much prefer first person RPG's though, The Elders Scrolls series or Fallout 3. Like a bit more thought in my FPS's nowadays.
Visit http://www.retrogamesandfilms.com for games, consoles and other retro items.