Favourite First Person Shooter?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Favourite First Person Shooter?

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Anyone remember playing Quake for the first time after the 3dfx patch had been applied? One word... WOW!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Single player? So many cracking games but Half life 2 and it's episodes have no equal, imo.

Multiplayer? Rainbow six Vegas, never had so much fun online. Forget the rest.

Eat your nans pants

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:00 pm

single player - Half Life 2

online multiplayer - Black Ops 2

Wolf007

Post by Wolf007 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm

I have a few favorites.

Star Wars: Dark Forces. (PC/PS1) Seriously? This one has not gotten any mentions? As far as I'm concerned it stole dooms lunch money back in the day, flushed its head down the toilet, and gave it hourly wedgies. Sure its a graphical eyesore with hilariously bad animation and graphic design, but those level layouts, puzzles, weapons, and enemies. Wow. As far as Im concerned, this game still plays awesome and provides way more fun on its worst level than halo does on its best. I'd throw good money at anyone that said they'd use it to make a HD edition.

Medal of Honor/MOH Underground (PS1) I dont love these games as much as I love Dark Forces, but they are still good fun and brought a lot of revolutionary concepts to fps titles.

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (PC/PS2) how did this game not get mentioned? Good star trek fan service. Good fps gaming, a good story in the Voyager series (SHOCK!) and just a sweet spot of fps shooting all around.

Black: (PS2/Xbox) without a doubt the best single player fps experience I've ever played. Sure, enemies are utter bullet sponges, But I love how doors are opened with shotguns and explosions, and how destructable, and deadly to enemies, the environment can be. This title is an adrenaline rush from start to end.

Battlefield: Bad Company (PS3/Xbox 360) ok, not a pure fps title, but the levels that are not in vehicles provide some great fps excitement. Its not the best fps ever, but in this age where fps gaming has sold out to the online masses, its probably the best time I've had in single player during this generation.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:15 am

Has to be HALO. First for making pad controls work so well, second for seamless inclusion of vehicles, turrets, etc. play, and thirdly (and most importantly) for saying, screw the plot, here's multiplayer split-screen cop-op. And fourthly for an excellent weapon balance, instead of just being a silly quest for a bigger gun. Totally ruined in the sequel by taking the scope off the pistol. And fifth for the enemy A.I.

Other greats are Unreal Tournament (PC) multiplayer, for the sheer fun of the weapons and environments, and killing someone by transporting on top of them.

Also to Disruptor (PS1) for foregoing the gloomy muddy colours of Doom and giving us bright shiny corridors and giant robots, and some neat FMV between levels.

And to Wolfenstein 3D for kicking it all off.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:58 am

The Metroid Prime games. Are they FPSs? Well, they're fist-person view and you shoot things, though they play more like old-school Metroid games in 3D. What I love about them is the level of exploration they allow, in an era when the FPS genre has become about funnelling you along through a series of set-pieces. You can really go off the beaten track, play the game at your own pace and explore the game world properly.

I have very fond memories of Doom for the same reason. You could explore the levels at your own pace, solving puzzles and finding secrets. All the things modern FPS games don't do any more. It's old, but it's a classic that - like Mario 64 and Street Fighter II - still completely holds up in 2013.

For a leftfield choice, ZombiU. Again, more of an adventure than an FPS (though there is shooting in it) but it's one of the most immersive and downright tense videogames I've ever played. Rifling through your bag for a gun while the zombie horde lurches toward you is actually a genuinely frightening experience.

As for CoD? The multiplayer is good fun and the singleplayer is worth a play too if you can accept that it's really just a rollercoaster ride rather than a game. There's nothing to do outside of the linear shooting gallery sections, no puzzles to solve, no real characters to interact with, nowhere to explore. But it's basically a first-person action film and on that basis it has its moments and is very spectacular. It succeeds at what it tries to do, even if you don't like what it's trying to do.
Last edited by killbot on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 am

Deluxe Paint 4 is a true great

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:15 am

killbot wrote:The Metroid Prime games. Are they FPSs?
I would say so although its heavy on adventure, exploration and even puzzle solving. I am waiting on a definition on the genre to put me right though. Like you say, the game is in first person and you shoot things.

Now I wold also consider the game Hexen to be a FPS as it plays similar to the likes of Doom but does away with guns in place of magic and weaponry.

Would be interesting to hear others thoughts. Yourself included Koopa42 :wink:

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:22 pm

koopa42 wrote:Deluxe Paint 4 is a true great
Surely Mario Galaxy counts, from the point of view of the co-op player who gets to shoot stars into the game?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Project: Stealth Fighter. An immersive plot, varied missions, stealth options, multiple objectives, so much in there. Shame about the load times from tape, but that's when you change TV channel and play the Speccy for a bit ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:43 pm

joefish wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Deluxe Paint 4 is a true great
Surely Mario Galaxy counts, from the point of view of the co-op player who gets to shoot stars into the game?
Arguably flight simulators count, too, since they're (usually) first-person and involve shooting.

I think there's a clear definition of what an FPS is - you view it from the POV of your character, you're usually on foot and shooting enemies is a large part of the game, usually the main part. But the genre is splintering - Metroid Prime and ZombiU are both, by that definition, FPS games and so are CoD and Battlefield, but they play completely differently. And none of them play like Doom or Quake at all. Then there's leftfield stuff like Mirror's Edge to consider. Sub-genres within sub-genres within sub-genres.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:44 pm

joefish wrote:
Also to Disruptor (PS1) for foregoing the gloomy muddy colours of Doom and giving us bright shiny corridors and giant robots, and some neat FMV between levels.
Good shout for Disruptor, top game. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:45 pm

My other fave 1st person shooter is Jet Set Willy. :roll:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:04 pm

I can't narrow it down to just one, so In no particular order...

Doom 2
The Operative: No One Lives Forever
Red Faction
Exhumed
Quake III Arena
Time Splitters 2
Half-Life
Duke 3D
Hexen
Doom
Action Quake 2
FarCry
Call of Duty 1
Marathon
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:25 pm

For single player it is Half Life 2

For multi player - that is a very very hard choice! Star Trek Elite Force is brillaint, Unreal Tournament was so much better that Quake 3 and Serious Sam threw FUN back into the mix....
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/