Favourite First Person Shooter?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Analog

Re: Favourite First Person Shooter?

Post by Analog » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:36 am

unreal tournament 99 and the infiltration mod for it. - "headshot!!" all the follow up games to ut never really summed up the vibe in the original for me, fun, gory ,a bit wacky and ott. epic changed directions with the game after this and tried to turn it into quake which imo was a bad move. unrealed was simple and straightforward and the mapping/modding community really flourished. the infiltration mod was a great realism mod which turned the game into a completely different experience.
quakelive. - loved the balancing and the match searching within this, really helped with finding an enjoyable game with people on the same level as me something which is rarely put into fps properly and imo should be standard.
counter strike source. - never got onboard with the original cs but found this one really addictive and enjoyable.
doom. - great single player fps experience.
battlefield 2142. -titan mode mainly,it was great. shame its never returned.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 am

Analog wrote:unreal tournament 99 and the infiltration mod for it. - "headshot!!" all the follow up games to ut never really summed up the vibe in the original for me, fun, gory ,a bit wacky and ott. epic changed directions with the game after this and tried to turn it into quake which imo was a bad move. unrealed was simple and straightforward and the mapping/modding community really flourished. the infiltration mod was a great realism mod which turned the game into a completely different experience.
quakelive. - loved the balancing and the match searching within this, really helped with finding an enjoyable game with people on the same level as me something which is rarely put into fps properly and imo should be standard.
counter strike source. - never got onboard with the original cs but found this one really addictive and enjoyable.
doom. - great single player fps experience.
battlefield 2142. -titan mode mainly,it was great. shame its never returned.
I agree with the part of them turning it into quake, for me none of the later ones touch the original UT.
Splink!

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:50 am

yea thats what I think. I bought the releases after 99 but none of them had the same appeal. ut was great at being ut, imo they didn't need to adapt it into a different game, it was wildly popular in its own right.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 am

Yep UT99 was the greatness. Still my favourite ever PC game.

Royalewithcheese

Post by Royalewithcheese » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 am

CS 1.6, great game

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:39 am

Its hard to pick out a single game in a genre that has such diversity. A few that I've had great experiences of

Shadowrun (XBOX360) - despite its criticism I loved this and is one of the best online multiplayer experiences I've ever had
Halo 1 & 2 (XBOX) - Best memories of splitscreen ever
Goldeneye (N64) - Loved the challenges that singleplayer had to offer
Red Faction (PS2) - The geomod system was brilliant
Project Snowblind (XBOX) - often forgotten in the shadow of Deus Ex, I found this to be a great alternative that was more action packed

So many great games to be had and the genre is often talked down upon now with yearly drops of COD and sequels left right and centre.

Also there is little to be had in the sense of conventional FPS's now with the genre breaching out. Fallout for example is an FPS (can be played in third person) but is more likely to be likened to games like Elder Scrolls due to its RPG heavy features. Borderlands is another that could be compared to games such as Diablo or Baldurs Gate as its very 'loot based' in terms of progression as is the skill trees.

:?

crotea

Post by crotea » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Half life 2, totally changed the genre. Although unfortunately few are to follow.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Fallout 3? FPS? trollolloll.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:19 pm

koopa42 wrote:Fallout 3? FPS? trollolloll.
I don't get it?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Clearly.

n1nty

Post by n1nty » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Project Snowblind (XBOX) - often forgotten in the shadow of Deus Ex, I found this to be a great alternative that was more action packed
A man after my own heart :oops: :D

on par with one of my other favs ........Black :D

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:37 pm

koopa42 wrote:Clearly.
Surely you can add more to your one word post to explain the funny side of my statement. I stated that Fallout was not conventional in any sense but there is no denying that it (can be) played in first person and is a shooter. The fact that it has elements from MANY other genres does not make it exempt from the topic. Just as Rainbow six games have elements of Third Person action, or COD has a leveling system to progress more often seen in RPGs.

Someone else stated that Metroid Prime may not be considered a true FPS but again it shows how diverse the genre can be.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:38 pm

No.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Yes, actually.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:46 pm

ncf1 wrote:But as mentioned I too have a soft spot for Medal of Honor on PS1, I played it recently, was rather shocked to find the gameplay so different to today's FPS's .. but then found myself gravitating towards it again, the atmosphere is just brilliant in that game.
Yeah, the original + Underground were great games but I know what you mean about them being counter-intuitive to play control-wise compared to today's FPS's games. They had loads of nice touches though such as enemy soldiers still shooting as they died (still dangerous to the player) and the way they kicked grenades back...so funny when you cooked a grenade and an enemy kicks it just as it explodes :lol:.

Frontline on the PS2 was also ace and Rising Sun was a bit dull after the first few levels but after those two, I haven't played a single WWII FPS game with exception to a brief (and seriously unsatisfying) go at the awful CoD: WaW - Final Fronts for the PS2.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.