Favourite First Person Shooter?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thompson9980

Re: Favourite First Person Shooter?

Post by thompson9980 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:36 am

I think it has to be Doom for me. A bit of an obvious one but hey, its stood the test of time for playability at least. I can happily play it, and genuinely enjoy it, to this day.

I used to think AvP on the Jag was ace when I got it in '95, but now.....? I play it for a hit of nostalgia.

Also I'm going to give Blood an honourable mention.
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Not in order:

Exhumed (Saturn)
Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
Rise Of The Triad (PC 1994)
Metroid Prime (Gamecube)
Bioshock (Xbox 360/PS3)
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:04 pm

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:Exhumed (Saturn)
I liked that game on the PS1 but the graphics always seemed to 'warp' (for want of a better word) when you looked around. It was really noticeable on the flame torches....did the Saturn version do that? It didn't break the game it was just...weird.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Blood! Definitely Blood. Stab a zombie with a pitchfork then kick his head across the room, very nice. And it has a train level and a haunted funfair level and monks with Tommy guns.

Duke Nukem 3D and Serious Sam get the "joint-second" award, whilst Quake can have third place if it wants. And then Doom.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:45 pm

i bought doom a few months ago for the ps1, not played it yet.

got my christmas rota, for 2 weeks i have a total of 1 1/2 days in work, think i will have plenty of time to try it out

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:41 am

(Sp) Oddworld strangers Wrath
(Mp) Black ops 2

Honourable mention to (Sp) Dead mans hand always liked a bit of cowboy action yee haa.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:32 am

nokgod wrote:
SonicTheHedgehog wrote:Exhumed (Saturn)
I liked that game on the PS1 but the graphics always seemed to 'warp' (for want of a better word) when you looked around. It was really noticeable on the flame torches....did the Saturn version do that? It didn't break the game it was just...weird.
Nope just the PS1 did that. Was very strange when I saw a game do that for the first time. Don't know the reasoning behind it as I'm not that tech minded when it comes to programming. Destruction derby 2 did the very same thing. Stick it into bumper can view and the road textures were all over the place. In a way it made the game feel quicker though lol

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:09 am

Wolf007 wrote: Black: (PS2/Xbox) without a doubt the best single player fps experience I've ever played. Sure, enemies are utter bullet sponges, But I love how doors are opened with shotguns and explosions, and how destructable, and deadly to enemies, the environment can be. This title is an adrenaline rush from start to end.
For single player military FPS I don't think this will ever be bettered. No respawning enemies, very few checkpoints, destructibility, amazing visuals, good audio, sizable levels. I would have added two more levels I think.
joefish wrote: Also to Disruptor (PS1) for foregoing the gloomy muddy colours of Doom and giving us bright shiny corridors and giant robots, and some neat FMV between .
I have this and it's really fun. Nice visuals and original guns. Those FMVs were amazingly terrible too!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:29 am

I've recently re-played Half Life 2 and it's aged very well. Still on top.

The CoD: Modern Warfare saga is also excellent and I love Crysis 2 (especially Warhead) too.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:31 am

For me it's Doom (esp Final Doom), honourable mentions to Halo: Reach and Goldeneye 007 (N64)
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:02 am

nokgod wrote:I liked that game on the PS1 but the graphics always seemed to 'warp' (for want of a better word) when you looked around. It was really noticeable on the flame torches....did the Saturn version do that? It didn't break the game it was just...weird.
silvergunner wrote:Nope just the PS1 did that. Was very strange when I saw a game do that for the first time. Don't know the reasoning behind it as I'm not that tech minded when it comes to programming. Destruction derby 2 did the very same thing. Stick it into bumper can view and the road textures were all over the place. In a way it made the game feel quicker though lol
I think what you're talking about is the result of the crude way of doing texture mapping in the PS1. Each square of scenery was split into two triangles and each triangle textured separately. But the processor wasn't allowing for perspective on the texture, so it would just skew and align itself with one edge of the triangle. This meant as you got closer to, say, a square wall panel, the geometry engine would stretch it into a tall trapezium shape, and of the two triangles it gets chopped into, one would stretch and skew upward, the other would squash downward, and so the two halves of the texture wouldn't line up properly any more.

The N64 used top-end techniques developed by Silicon Graphics for texture mapping, which allowed for repeating textures, interpolation (the smoothing and blurring when you get close) and did perspective properly. But it simply couldn't render as many polygons as fast as the PS1. It would have really struggled to pull off something like Tomb Raider with its huge, detailed interiors.

Some games tried to alleviate the problem by splitting square panels up into four triangles, so it's less noticeable (but takes twice as long to proces). Other games, particularly racing games like Rage Racer, would dynamically chop the road and scenery up into smaller and smaller pieces as you got closer so that each could be more accurately textured. If you drive very slowly you can see it happening, as lumpy bits of scenery snap into smoother shapes at a certain distance ahead of you. Spyro the Dragon does it too, allowing for huge draw distances. In that, you can see all the little details like textures and turrets gradually appear as you approach a castle in the distance.

As a bit of an Easter Egg, if you listen closely as you buzz the tour boat on the first level of Hydro Thunder, you can hear the tour guide describing this 'dynamic tesselation' process of the scenery.

But then there are also games like Tekken 3, that store the background not as 3D models but as one wrap-around panoramic picture. Wrap-around panoramic pictures look skewed and stretched when printed out flat, so the processor chops them into pieces and stretches and skews them so that they look normal as the view pans around. Any game that lets you go outisde is probably doing this with the sky, so if you look up and turn around, things can seem a little warped at the edges of the screen.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:23 am

Single Player = Half Life 2

Multi Player = either Unreal Tournament or Red Orchestra 2

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Don't know if I have an overall favourite but my all time faves would be...

Black - Xbox/PS2
Quake 3 - PC
Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, multiplayer only - Various
Battlefield Bad Company 2, multiplayer only.
Doom II - PC
Metroid Prime - GameCube

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Attack on Hungerford, by Ryan associates.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Left 4 Dead (1 & 2)
Portal (Does that count??)
Metroid Prime
Doom
Goldeneye 007
Half Life
Battlefield 1943
Quake