I've just reported Game to Trading Standards.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

the_hawk

Re: I've just reported Game to Trading Standards.

Post by the_hawk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 am

The Laird wrote:Aylesbury is in Buckinghamshire
WOW....I mean just WOW!!!

How many of these does one man need? :shock:

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 am

I've had a few bad experiences with GAME over the years.

One that sticks out in my mind was when I returned a broken PS2 game. Was Soul Calibur 3 and every time I went on a certain option or game mode the game would just freeze up. So I went to replace it but they had none so I got my money back which is all fine and everything and went to catch my bus ended up missing it so thought I might as well have a look around. Then while I wait I noticed the guy taking the game I had just returned and putting it back out on the shelf.

Now I know for a fact it was my broken copy since there was no others in stock when I tried to get it replaced plus I literally watched him pick it up from the counter and take it over to the shelves I even followed behind him and watched him do it. I ended up picking it up and taking it to the counter and asking what they were playing at putting a broken game back out.

Now i'm guessing some people say games are broken to get refunds so they are a bit wary but to put it back out again is just unacceptable especially without even testing it. I feel sorry for however bought it the next time, might not have even realised it was broke till it was too late.

The second thing that sticks out was when a store closed down and had a reopening. They were supposed to have these deals first come first served something like get a Wii for £50 and there was supposed to be a set amount like 5-10 of these etc. So anyway I turn up about 4 minutes after the opening time, there was no queues when we drove by to park the car. Ask for a Wii and they quote full price so I ask why and they say all the sale ones have gone. I knew it was a load of crap the second they said that. I must have been what the 4th person in the shop and the people in front hadn't bought any consoles at all. Clearly there was never supposed to be any deals and it was just an excuse to get more people in the shop.

neo-geo-mvs

Post by neo-geo-mvs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 am

retrosofer wrote: if its not wrapped in cellophane then its not new in my eyes.
^ this.

I bought from GAME years ago and the game was suppose to be brand new, they took the CD out of the cardboard sleeve, dropped the CD and then put it in the case. The CD was scratched to bits :evil:

If I buy new now - it has to be sealed to ensure it's mint/perfect.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 am

To be fair to GAME (not that I have any affinity to them) everything I've read in this thread is nothing that I don't expect from any retailer. These little tricks - and that's what they are because the majority of these things are not 'accidental' are part and parcel of how retail views and uses their custom base. They all do it I'm afraid. That's the new society we live in today. Shameful as it is.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:28 pm

True, but there are rogue Managers out there who actually care about their customers and deliver a good service despite HQ shenanigans.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rednoggy

Post by rednoggy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Years ago, when I worked on the entertainment desk,we used to do the whole taking the disc out and keeping it separate. Most customers didn't care and those who did we would try to give a sealed copy where we could. Now they go out live and more and more get nicked every month. Retailers just cant win sometimes.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:51 pm

rednoggy wrote:Years ago, when I worked on the entertainment desk,we used to do the whole taking the disc out and keeping it separate. Most customers didn't care and those who did we would try to give a sealed copy where we could. Now they go out live and more and more get nicked every month. Retailers just cant win sometimes.
thats the rub really, Game combat this in every way they with inserts and the like but aesthetically its not very good. also you then have the problem of not having in stock an item you are advertising. its a real juggling act.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:21 pm

rednoggy wrote:Years ago, when I worked on the entertainment desk,we used to do the whole taking the disc out and keeping it separate. Most customers didn't care and those who did we would try to give a sealed copy where we could. Now they go out live and more and more get nicked every month. Retailers just cant win sometimes.
But I can entirely understand people who - if they're paying £50 for a brand new game - don't want a copy that's had the seal torn off and the discs and manual removed, stuffed into a cardboard envelope and thrown into a drawer. The attitude of Game seems to be that as long as nobody has owned it before you then it counts as brand new, even if you get a scratched, fingerprint-smeared disc, a creased up manual and a box that's been handled by every sticky-fingered kid in town.

HMV and most of the supermarkets manage to sell games and DVDs sealed, as do almost all of the major online retailers.

Again, to be clear - I'm aware that there are many people who work for Game who are sensible and handle things with care. Not everyone who works for the organisation is a numpty, but a lot undoubtedly are.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:42 pm

killbot wrote:
But I can entirely understand people who - if they're paying £50 for a brand new game - don't want a copy that's had the seal torn off and the discs and manual removed, stuffed into a cardboard envelope and thrown into a drawer. The attitude of Game seems to be that as long as nobody has owned it before you then it counts as brand new, even if you get a scratched, fingerprint-smeared disc, a creased up manual and a box that's been handled by every sticky-fingered kid in town.

HMV and most of the supermarkets manage to sell games and DVDs sealed, as do almost all of the major online retailers.

Again, to be clear - I'm aware that there are many people who work for Game who are sensible and handle things with care. Not everyone who works for the organisation is a numpty, but a lot undoubtedly are.
Having at one point worked for HMV the amount of stolen stock was crazy. And you have to remember they also hire security staff. As a company wide amount I dredd to think what the combined value of all those games, films and tech stuff stolen amounted to.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:04 am

I dont understand how game make it so hard TBH. Just have 5 games opened and pu the cases on display. or get reprint 5 inserts and use spare cases. Then when anyone brings it to the till, just give them a sealed copy and put the display case back.

I understand for prowned copies that you have to have the disc and manual in the draw but not all new games.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:17 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I dont understand how game make it so hard TBH. Just have 5 games opened and pu the cases on display. or get reprint 5 inserts and use spare cases. Then when anyone brings it to the till, just give them a sealed copy and put the display case back.

I understand for prowned copies that you have to have the disc and manual in the draw but not all new games.
Funnily enough that's how it works. Only we just gut two copies at my shop.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:37 am

The Laird wrote:Aylesbury is in Buckinghamshire

....to add to the hundreds you've won over the years already.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:05 am

I realised there was a reason I don't like game that much.
Went into store number 1 and picked up batman arkham city for wii u. Went to counter lady takes it then comes back its not in Stock. OK I was a little confused as there was 5 copies on the shelves brand new and preowned.
She then asks me to put the game back on the shelf. If it's not there don't put the case back on the shelf.

2nd store and pick up and go to counter and he has a look nope no copies there either but we can sell you a preowned copy for 2 pound extra. No thanks online it is grrr

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:21 am

Montytom wrote:no copies there either but we can sell you a preowned copy for 2 pound extra.
:lol: Did he say that without laughing?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 am

necronom wrote:
Montytom wrote:no copies there either but we can sell you a preowned copy for 2 pound extra.
:lol: Did he say that without laughing?
There were 2 there looking for it and the one on the right said it without smiling. It's not the people that work in the shops fault I know that but to put the game back on the shelf with the preowned copy aswell is probably a stupid management decision