I've just reported Game to Trading Standards.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

silvergunner

Re: I've just reported Game to Trading Standards.

Post by silvergunner » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:25 am

Just reading the explanation of how the price stickers work. Wow I lost track of what's what, I had to read it again a couple of more times. To me it's to complicated and confusing. If it's new put new. If it's preowned the sticker should say it. End of story. If it's marked down in price, well there is far easier and clearer ways than the way game are pricing stuff that's for sure.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:27 am

Just took a picture of an example from work. This is how it should be labelled.

I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:34 am

Yes they should clearly mark the labels like above, but seriously OP, what mindframe were you in to think that GAME stocked that many new bluray movies in the first place :roll:

Surely alarm bells should have rung there and then

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:32 am

speedlolita wrote:
nakamura wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:They were great when they were Electronics Boutique but when Game bought them out and rebranded their shops have downhill it has to be said.
No no no.

They were great when they were Game, then EB bought them out and destroyed the company. I worked for them when it happened. It was horrendous.
I'll never forget one moment in the EB in Kingston High Street.

Wanted a copy of Vigilante 8 for £5. They didn't have it, guy clearly saw I was kinda upset.

Then for some reason gave me £9 off of Metal Gear Solid (!!) which came to £6 in the end from £15.

No idea why he did that but it always put them in a good light in my eyes.
Regardless of store practises, Electronics Boutique were a nasty employer. GAME were extremely good with employees which in turn drove sales. This was clear because EB purchased GAME and kept the far more successful brand as front. EB were awful to work for. Lack of respect for staff, crazy sales pitches, forcing information not even related to the customer down peoples throats. Staff were incredibly unhappy after the merger, that's why every single staff member left from my area. This was in 1999, I left in 2000.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

eRetronic

Post by eRetronic » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Oh dear Game the so called experts censored up again.

My little un and the missus just returned from the Romford store where he bought a PC Simulator,
To cut a long story short the sales expert up sold them a £1 scratch guarantee for life upgrade for the life of the disc offer. Guess what the game is a digital download and hasn't even got a disc inside :lol:

What a bunch of wasters

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:33 pm

eRetronic wrote:Oh dear Game the so called experts censored up again.

My little un and the missus just returned from the Romford store where he bought a PC Simulator,
To cut a long story short the sales expert up sold them a £1 scratch guarantee for life upgrade for the life of the disc offer. Guess what the game is a digital download and hasn't even got a disc inside :lol:

What a bunch of wasters
That's actually funny :lol: It also shows they maybe need a little staff training going on...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:38 pm

jimmyjimjim wrote:Sounds like Game is fairly typical of a lot of companies where an out-of-touch head office set targets for stores to meet, which causes managers to have to resort to iffy methods to achieve them. I've worked in a restaurant and for a mobile phone company previously, and some of the stuff people did to meet targets was quite often immoral. Not illegal, but not right. When it comes to getting or not getting a bonus, it's surprising the things people will do to get the bonus, even if it means knowingly ripping people off.
Fair point, and true. There are certain aspects of retail I miss from my time in it- especially customer contact where you generally get what you reflect out. Be nice, genuine, and treat people with respect and it is generally reflected back at you.
Some of the tactics are immoral in regard to target achievement, some of the management is extremely questionable. IMO all management should have to do floor work as a prerequisite, to have empathy and understanding for both sides of the counter. Many of them lack practical common sense experience and have NFI.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:52 pm

What a bunch of wasters
fantastic stuff, whichever sales person has managed to flog a scratch warranty on a digital download needs promoting asap.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:07 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:

What a bunch of wasters
fantastic stuff, whichever sales person has managed to flog a scratch warranty on a digital download needs promoting asap.
Or firing... depending on which side of the moral/capitalist side of the pendulum you swing on... :)

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:35 pm

If the game came sealed (which is likely considering the steam code in the box is printed on the inlay) then that was likely a simple mistake which can be rectified by going into the store and requesting the disk care fee back. Be reasonable guys, we can't know everything about every item in the store, as much as I try to train myself on every item it is nigh on impossible to get everything 100% correct, we have thousands of games/DVDs/blu rays/merchandise seperated over 9 (soon to be 11) formats to consider after all. Accidents happen, In this case a Simulator with little to no fanfare or documentation got wrongly sold a disc warranty. I agree the sales assistant should have been more perceptive of what was on the box but to even joke about him getting fired over an easily remedied situation is wrong and you know it. Sorry if I am taking this too seriously but I genuinely care.

And if you don't want to go into the store because of it, pm me your paypal and I'll give you the £1 back myself. Gift of course.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:13 am

Grizzly wrote:If the game came sealed (which is likely considering the steam code in the box is printed on the inlay) then that was likely a simple mistake which can be rectified by going into the store and requesting the disk care fee back. Be reasonable guys, we can't know everything about every item in the store, as much as I try to train myself on every item it is nigh on impossible to get everything 100% correct, we have thousands of games/DVDs/blu rays/merchandise seperated over 9 (soon to be 11) formats to consider after all. Accidents happen, In this case a Simulator with little to no fanfare or documentation got wrongly sold a disc warranty. I agree the sales assistant should have been more perceptive of what was on the box but to even joke about him getting fired over an easily remedied situation is wrong and you know it. Sorry if I am taking this too seriously but I genuinely care.

And if you don't want to go into the store because of it, pm me your paypal and I'll give you the £1 back myself. Gift of course.
Ok, so just for the sake of clarity - I was not saying the assistant should get fired. I was simply responding to the previous poster who said that a sales person should get promoted for knowingly selling disc protection to a customer who bought a digital only game.

In this case, I believe both comments were said in jest. So yes. You have taken it far too seriously but I understand why - you're employers and colleagues are getting a kicking in this thread (and rightly so it sounds).

I have to say that my own experience of GAME stores is usually quite positive. I do hate the fact that I get asked several times if I need help and I assume it's because I'm an older gamer so they all probably think I'm buying something for my son or something. Little do they know that I know more about games and the games industry than most of the people working there - something that helps me stay calm and gives me a bit of gratification.
;)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Worst thing I saw in Game. A lad was with his mother and he wanted an Xbox 360. They had none in stock and the person working there tried to convince him to get a Wii. The lad ( quite rightly ) knew what he wanted and explained he wanted to play the same games as his friends and talk to them online etc etc.

Now nothing wrong with offering an alternative product, but the little lad wandered off to look at games, and while he did this the manager also came over and the two of the smarmy gits practically cornered the mother and basically said that her son was wrong and as a little kid he had no idea what he was talking about and that he could do all the stuff he wanted to on the wii, and get the same games.

She tried to just leave it, but they pushed and pushed and basically calling the son and idiot and claiming they were the experts and that as a mother she had a responsibility to do what was best for her son ( they actually said that ).

All came to a head when the dad and husband came in and realised what was going on, and as he seemed to know a little bit about games and consoles called them out on their bullshit in a very aggressive way. ( very entertaining ).

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:37 am

Wow. What a couple of c****. Which store was that in?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Bad experiences I've had in Game stores in the past include:

1. Aylesbury, Oxfordshire store I bought an apparently brand new copy of Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for the GBA a couple of months after it was released. Paid £29.99. Got home, and there's already a save file on it showing someone's played it for 22 hours. I took it back the very next morning (about 12 hours later) with my GBA to show them. The bloke behind the counter said he'd have to speak to the manager, who was out back. About 5 mins later, the bloke came back on his own (the manager never came out to face me) and said 'It came from the factory like that.' :shock: and wasn't going to offer me a replacement. As I had my GBA with me, I demanded another copy, and checked it in front of him to make sure that it was unused.

2. Oxford City Centre (Westgate Shopping Centre) store I bought a preowned copy of Syphon Filter 2 for the PS1 for £8. As I was working in Oxford at the time, I was able to have a quick look in the store during my lunch break. I went back in the very next day and saw a copy priced at £4. I went and had a word with the same guy who had served me the day before, and he said 'Fine, bring your receipt in and we'll refund you the difference'. I went back in the next day again and now the only copy they had was priced at £6.50 :shock: (not sure if they'd deliberately changed the price sticker or were just pricing up preowned games completely randomly)...anyways, I went and spoke to the same sales assistant again, who then refused me a full refund, and when I challenged him, more or less threw the £1.50 over the counter at me and said 'That's all you're getting'. Last time I bothered shopping there.

3. Banbury, Oxfordshire store Right after Ty The Tasmanian Tiger 2 was released (at a widely reported budget RRP of £19.99) I noticed it was on 'Sale' in this branch (It was January, they had signs up claiming that they were having a 'Sale' on most items), the sticker was marked 'Was £20, now £19.99' :shock: I jokingly pointed this out to the guy behind the counter and he replied (in all seriousness) that they'd only used a 'Was £20' sticker because they didn't have any 'Was £25' stickers left. :shock: It was at this point that I noticed that a lot of stuff in their 'sale' had just had the original price artificially upped by a fiver and the 'sale' prices were just the same prices they'd been selling them for when I'd last been in the store about 2 weeks previously.

At the time (whilst I was living and working down in Oxfordshire) I actually reported Game to Watchdog, but all they did was replied with the contact details for Trading Standards and told me not to bother shopping there if I wasn't happy. Needless to say, I've barely purchased anything from Game since. I know there's plenty of good, honest people who work there (Grizzly for example) and certain individual branches are brilliant, but I do believe they're in a minority as far as Game as a whole go, unfortunately.

Historically, I've had plenty of other bad experiences in there as well. The time I went in and bought WWF No Mercy and then tried to preorder Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo Tooie for the N64, only to be told 'Nintendo have actually cancelled all upcoming N64 releases, everybody's going for the PS2 now instead, are you interested in getting one?' springs to mind. Strangely enough, that store was where I purchased Conker's Bad Fur Day from a few months later because nowhere else nearby had it.... :?
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:55 am

Aylesbury is in Buckinghamshire