Greatest consoles of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Greatest consoles of all time

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm

nokgod wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:I accept everyone has their own opinions, and I'm not going to criticise anyone's choices. But why exactly is the Gamecube top of anything? Better than a PS2 or XBOX but not as good as a PS3 or 360, and without the same catalogue of games. Granted one or two classics like Luigis Mansion and Eternal Darkness, but that's about the games rather than the console. Can't play DVDs or Blu-rays (ok you may argue not necessary for a games console, but when your competitor's machines can) and with a controller that's at best uncomfortable, and nowhere near as nice to use as the Dual Shock. Granted it's an ace shape, but was made completely redundant with the introduction of the Wii.

Like I say, if someone can explain why it's a great console to own I'd be interested.
I presume that was aimed at me :wink:

Its top because i say so. That's the point. You clearly don't like it, that's fine....don't put it on your list. :)

I didn't! :D :wink:

Tbh it was aimed at anyone including it in their top 5. Quite a few people have, but no-one has said why.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:24 pm

....because its the console i prefer over all the others....and it wasn't a required condition of the OP to explain ourselves if we picked it (although i will) :wink:

You don't like the controller. To me, the Wavebird is the best controller ever. It fits my hands like a glove (i get no cramp) unlike the slightly too small dualshock, which does and is why i mostly use a madcatz 3rd party controller when playing PS.

You criticize the game library and its size. It just misses out 80% of the shovelware you have to wade through on other machines, to get to the good stuff. One of the best good to bad game ratios of any machine, i'd argue. Also home to most of my favourite franchises.

DVD/Blu-ray...don't want/need 'em. Got dedicated devices for those.

Aestheically, best machine of its gen.

Best accessory ever. (GB player) which effectively makes it four consoles in one.

Can use a GBA as a controller and for additional content (although i'm the first to admit this particular feature was sorely underutilised.) I am aware the DC/NGPC also did this, but was less successful.

The proprietary disc size prevented piracy (for a good while anyway, compared to the other machines of its gen, certainly)

Will that do ya for now? :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:26 pm

^^it's in mine because i had no interst in the GC at the time,the console looked childish,the pad strange and the small discs could only contain tiny games (i knew nothing of compression techniques) but since i joined here and read others opinions about it i started to become interested.i even asked a few questions about the pad and then a matter of months ago i spotted some games in a charity shop which i grabbed then later a console.

i've been very impressed with the console since then,i haven't played that many games on it yet but the pad is comfortable and the games look stunning.i really need a fps to compare against playing the PS2 but otherwise i wish i had picked one up a long time ago.there are quite a few games in it's library that i want to eventually get but the console has easily earned it's place in my mind as an excellent console.

now there are a lot of consoles i haven't played saturn,dc,neo geo and many others so i can only offer my opinion on my limited experience.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:27 pm

5 - Megadrive - my first console of my very own that i bought and paid for and still my all time favourite - takes pride of place next to my freesat box.
4 - Dreamcast - With better support this could have lasted much longer - just play Soul Calibur and that says it all.
3 - PSP - (Blah blah not retro etc) - Some great games , some great compilations and brilliant for emulation and general quality portable gaming.
2 - Gamecube - I love my cube some top games and hidden gems. So good , compatibility remained on the Wii. Also has been a family console with us for years now , where the PS2 couldnt provide the family games. Look to Pac Man vs for one example of a family game night favourite.
1 - DS - Model 1 - Either model with GBA compatibility - just for providing a great screen to play GBA games on and occasionally play DS games too. So many options and things you can do with a ds / ds lite - including Pokemon transfer - also playing host to the second best version of Mr Driller helps (see 4 above for best version)

Honourable hat doffs to

PS1 for Grandia and Vagrant story along with many many more great games.
GBA SP (though i cheated above)
Sega Saturn - despite some of my favourite games I have relatively little time spent on a saturn compared to most of the above
Spectrum - seen a couple of computers mention so here is my outsider - if computers were in there then this would be second.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:28 pm

5.Megadrive
4.XBOX 360
3.Intellivision
2.Playstation
1.XBOX
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Ive had a Cube since about 3 months after release and have built up a reasonable collection - give or take the usual yearly tat updates there are some really good games. To compare to a PS3 / 360 is quite unfair - it was xbox/ps2 'competition'. Ive had a PS2 for only 6 years but never really warmed to the 'family' games on there. I rarely play on it at all now and all i really play is Okami or any of the retro compilations. My PS3 is a relatively inexpensive Blu ray player and the only way I can play Scott Pilgrim - other than that I still have yet to find something I enjoy. yet my cube is happily on the stand next to my sons wii. Only out because he cant play Ribbit king on his Wii

I could list many great games for the cube but we have a GC thread for that. At the end of the day there are some choices on others lists that I wouldnt have made and some machines ive never played. Each list is a personal choice for sentimentality and experience.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:39 pm

nokgod wrote:....because its the console i prefer over all the others....and it wasn't a required condition of the OP to explain ourselves if we picked it (although i will) :wink:

You don't like the controller. To me, the Wavebird is the best controller ever. It fits my hands like a glove (i get no cramp) unlike the slightly too small dualshock, which does and is why i mostly use a madcatz 3rd party controller when playing PS.

You criticize the game library and its size. It just misses out 80% of the shovelware you have to wade through on other machines, to get to the good stuff. One of the best good to bad game ratios of any machine, i'd argue. Also home to most of my favourite franchises.

DVD/Blu-ray...don't want/need 'em. Got dedicated devices for those.

Aestheically, best machine of its gen.

Best accessory ever. (GB player) which effectively makes it four consoles in one.

Can use a GBA as a controller and for additional content (although i'm the first to admit this particular feature was sorely underutilised.) I am aware the DC/NGPC also did this, but was less successful.

The proprietary disc size prevented piracy (for a good while anyway, compared to the other machines of its gen, certainly)

Will that do ya for now? :D
Ok, apart from the aethestics, the piracy prevention, the accessories, the games and the controller... what has the Gamecube ever done for US?
:D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Wavebirds FTW.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:16 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I accept everyone has their own opinions, and I'm not going to criticise anyone's choices. But why exactly is the Gamecube top of anything? Better than a PS2 or XBOX but not as good as a PS3 or 360, and without the same catalogue of games. Granted one or two classics like Luigis Mansion and Eternal Darkness, but that's about the games rather than the console. Can't play DVDs or Blu-rays (ok you may argue not necessary for a games console, but when your competitor's machines can) and with a controller that's at best uncomfortable, and nowhere near as nice to use as the Dual Shock. Granted it's an ace shape, but was made completely redundant with the introduction of the Wii.

Like I say, if someone can explain why it's a great console to own I'd be interested.
I'm certainly considering the games availiable in my answer, at which point choices become entirely subjective. If we're just comparing hardware then by their nature retro consoles are at quite a disadvantage.

Anyway, some good points about the GC hardware:

- simple to use, minimal fuss plug and play
- 4 controller ports, none of this multi-tap nonsense
- reliable, my launch unit still works, relaively few moving parts, eg no disk tray mechanism
- good graphics (inc component output), generally considered better than the PS2 and every console before it
- dolby surround sound
- portability, small lightweight, easy to take round to a friends
- unique look, various colours for all tastes
- wireless controllers, and some novel unique controllers such as a chainsaw, a keyboard controller and bongos
- gameboy player add on, play your GB,GBC and GBA games on your tv 8)
- LAN and online capability (though not used by many games, the hardware is there)
- GBA connectivity (not used much to any great effect, but better than nothing)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Cube is easily my favourite Nintendo console (home console at least) and my favourite overall is the PlayStation..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:18 pm

I also included the Gamecube in my top 5. Not only that but I almost gave it the full 5 points too!

Why? Because it's one of my favourites and I think it's awesome! 8)

The Wavebird is indeed superb and a regular pad is almost as good. It's one of my personal favourites when it comes to controllers. Everything about the construction of the GC hardware, the attention to functionality,detail, and ergonomics, oozes quality.

There are a lot of great games and accessories. Add a Freeloader disc and there are even more games. A GBA player? Oh go on then :D

It doesn't matter to me what other consoles of that era did or didn't have, what they could and couldn't do. I only had a Gamecube for quite a number of years and there was always something great to play.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:42 pm

I think the Cube is influential in the industry precisely because it didn't sell as well as previous Nintendo machines. The Cube was Nintendo's attempt to meet Sony and Microsoft on their own turf, and they got beaten up pretty badly. Everything that came after - the DS, Wii and their ilk - derives from an effort by Nintendo to find a different niche, becuase they were now aware that the 'hardcore' gaming community had largely lost interest in their hardware.

The Cube completely changed the course of Nintendo, who (I think) became a stronger, more innovative company as a result.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:28 am

5 SNES
4 Sega Saturn
3 Game Boy
2 3DS
1 PSP

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:03 am

5- 360
4 - PS1
3 - Megadrive
4 - DS
5 - Wii

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:50 am

5 – SNES. My favourite time period of gaming, my favourite console. Perfect Joypad, amazing graphics and sound and what a library of games. Unbeaten in my eyes.
4 - Wii. Controversial Controls aside (I loved them myself) The Wii brought gaming to the masses. Underrated too by the so called ‘hardcore’ crowd.
3 – Vectrex. Still unique. Still Impressive. Still want one.
2 – Atari 2600. The console that opened my eyes to gaming, still have the Pac-Man sound effects etched on my brain.
1 – C64GS. Well someone’s got to vote for it!