Greatest consoles of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

the_hawk

Re: Greatest consoles of all time

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 am

necronom wrote:
the_hawk wrote:I really don't know why the iPad wouldn't be considered a games console, that's why I'm asking the question.
Because it's main purpose in life isn't to play games. It also doesn't come with game controllers, and is mainly to go on the internet, read books, listen to music, watch films, etc. It's more a VERY restricted computer.
Can inanimate objects have purpose in life? Surely the consumer decides what purpose a machine should have I know I use my tablet more as a games console than any of those other uses.

Is the touchscreen it comes with not a "controller"?

I bought an Atari VCS off EBay with no controllers, does that mean it's not a games console?

Am I being factious & asking too many annoying questions because I've backed myself into a corner? Yeah, probably.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 am

I could fill my car with water, stick some fish in it and call it a fish tank, but that wouldn't mean it was one.

I see another Amiga has been added to a list. :roll:

The DS and Vita have controllers built in and are made for playing games as their primary purpose.

Consoles are indeed more dramatically restricted computers, but that wasn't the point.

I think everyone's aware that it's pretty obvious what the difference is between a computer, a games console, and a phone/tablet. Apart from the people putting C64 and Amigas in the lists...

I've just thought that maybe not knowing the difference is why we have all those threads in the games forum say "What games/consoles have you bought this week", "Most seen console on markets/carboots", "What makes you love a console?", "What console are you hoping to collect for...", "Console advertising slogans", "worst designed console", "The One Game You Want to Play on A Console You Don't Own", "Your first console", "console this", "console that". I usually ignore any thread asking about consoles, but maybe the thread starters sometimes actually meant computers, too?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:25 am

the_hawk wrote:
necronom wrote:
the_hawk wrote:I really don't know why the iPad wouldn't be considered a games console, that's why I'm asking the question.
Because it's main purpose in life isn't to play games. It also doesn't come with game controllers, and is mainly to go on the internet, read books, listen to music, watch films, etc. It's more a VERY restricted computer.
Can inanimate objects have purpose in life? Surely the consumer decides what purpose a machine should have I know I use my tablet more as a games console than any of those other uses.

Is the touchscreen it comes with not a "controller"?

I bought an Atari VCS off EBay with no controllers, does that mean it's not a games console?

Am I being factious & asking too many annoying questions because I've backed myself into a corner? Yeah, probably.

TBF, there is only 2 acceptabl ways to proceed when this happens. Either just hold your hands up ( lets be honest who does that ) or take your argument to the absolute extreme and never give up and just wear everyone else down.

Its a time honoured internet tactic.

I

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 am

RodimusPrime wrote: Its a time honoured internet tactic.
:lol: It most certainly is & makes for either a very frustrating thread or a very amusing one depending upon what mood you're in!
necronom wrote:I could fill my car with water, stick some fish in it and call it a fish tank, but that wouldn't mean it was one.
:lol: Yes, actually it would, it certainly wouldn't be used as a car any longer.

But I totally get your point, you'll never see a Vauxhall Astra top an internet poll of greatest fishtanks of all time!
necronom wrote:
Apart from the people putting C64 and Amigas in the lists...
Maybe they meant C64GS & Amiga 32CD

OR type 99 to continue

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:51 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
TBF, there is only 2 acceptabl ways to proceed when this happens. Either just hold your hands up ( lets be honest who does that ) or take your argument to the absolute extreme and never give up and just wear everyone else down.

I
It's rife on this very forum, in the last week or so there has been 2 or 3 threads with the usual 'it's not trolling, honest and I can explain 18923689126238 reasons why blah blah blah'' crowd putting some truly ridiculous choices in various places. Like you say, they are complete #######

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:17 am

the_hawk wrote: Image
:lol:

Excellent!

I bet Darran didn't expect to see that pic when he started the thread! We seem to have gone a bit off topic... Sorry.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 am

RodimusPrime wrote:

I
Or you can agree to disagree and leave it at that. Tends to cut out all the bickering (sometimes).

Perhaps it's just misreading or misunderstanding the question but I doubt there's trolling or flame bating going on.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:27 am

necronom wrote:

Excellent!

I bet Darran didn't expect to see that pic when he started the thread! We seem to have gone a bit off topic... Sorry.
:oops: Yeah, I probably should have reigned it in a bit, apologies. D'ya know what though, I genuinely would have considered an iDevice a games console before this thread, but now I'm not so sure. So sometimes internet forum discussions are worthwhile. :D

Anyway back to people discussing the Sega Megadrive, the greatest console of all time. :D

OR type 99 to continue

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:42 am

the_hawk wrote:
necronom wrote:

Excellent!

:oops: Yeah, I probably should have reigned it in a bit, apologies. D'ya know what though, I genuinely would have considered an iDevice a games console before this thread, but now I'm not so sure. So sometimes internet forum discussions are worthwhile. :D

Anyway back to people discussing the Sega Megadrive, the 2ND greatest console of all time. :D
Dont worry about it, its all just banter anyway.

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:33 pm

Atari 2600/VCS - One of the first out of the starting gates. Iconic laminated wood, switches and 'those' joysticks which have become a symbol synonymous with video games as a whole. Sure the graphics were blocky and basic, the sounds were harsh and crude but it was and still is pure magic in plastic casing. It was a console I got later on, but I have to say it's one of my favorites. Still great for a quick blast of quintessential retro gaming. Those paddle controllers are the bees knees too and should really make their way back into the general gaming consciousness.

Nintendo NES - I think from a Euro perspective this is where mass-console gaming really began. Nintendo had the right marketing behind them from the instore multi-consoles that allowed you to sample a selection of the games, a lot which were pure quality! Stuff like the peripherals: the Robot and Zapper, Syndicated cartoons and even movies like the Wizard hammered home brand awareness to thousands of kids back then. Packaging the TNMT game (despite it being total pants) with the console was a stroke of genius.

PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 - One of the biggest wasted opportunities. Quality console with a great library of games really slickly presented. Gotta love those HuCards too - One of the best cartridge formats ever.

Sega Megadrive - Though personally I think the SNES was the better machine and has stood the test of time better, I think the Megadrive really helped make gaming cool and added a maturity that helped towards removing the stigma that games where just for kids.

PS2 - The playstation laid the pathways to be sure, but I think the PS2 marks a point were gaming really becomes a big deal. Definitely drew me back towards gaming after the post 16-bit era left me cold in the mid 90's.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:01 pm

ootini wrote:Atari 2600/VCS - One of the first out of the starting gates. Iconic laminated wood, switches and 'those' joysticks which have become a symbol synonymous with video games as a whole. Sure the graphics were blocky and basic, the sounds were harsh and crude but it was and still is pure magic in plastic casing. It was a console I got later on, but I have to say it's one of my favorites. Still great for a quick blast of quintessential retro gaming. Those paddle controllers are the bees knees too and should really make their way back into the general gaming consciousness.

Nintendo NES - I think from a Euro perspective this is where mass-console gaming really began. Nintendo had the right marketing behind them from the instore multi-consoles that allowed you to sample a selection of the games, a lot which were pure quality! Stuff like the peripherals: the Robot and Zapper, Syndicated cartoons and even movies like the Wizard hammered home brand awareness to thousands of kids back then. Packaging the TNMT game (despite it being total pants) with the console was a stroke of genius.

PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 - One of the biggest wasted opportunities. Quality console with a great library of games really slickly presented. Gotta love those HuCards too - One of the best cartridge formats ever.

Sega Megadrive - Though personally I think the SNES was the better machine and has stood the test of time better, I think the Megadrive really helped make gaming cool and added a maturity that helped towards removing the stigma that games where just for kids.

PS2 - The playstation laid the pathways to be sure, but I think the PS2 marks a point were gaming really becomes a big deal. Definitely drew me back towards gaming after the post 16-bit era left me cold in the mid 90's.

Best get your hard hat and flame suit ready :D

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:18 pm

5 - Sony PlayStation - just blew everything else away. Yes, the Saturn and the 3DO were a little earlier and they all did some things better than others, but the technology was still impressive and the marketing behind it made it a phenomenon that let gaming go mainstream. And the games were excellent. Tekken and Ridge Racer straight out of the arcades, along with FMV clips and audio dialogue in epic adventures surpassing the typical PC of the time.

4 - Atari 2600 - The original - joystick controllers, genuinely programmed games on cartridge, no longer just an experiment with lines and a bouncing dot.

3 - Nintendo GameBoy - another landmark piece of kit. Yes, it lacked the colour of its rivals, but what that did for battery life was just amazing. At a time when rechargeables were expensive and took all day to top up, two or three hours play time was abyssmal, as was tethering your 'portable' device to a mains adaptor. 40 hours or more on the go was mind-blowing. Genuinely gave you gaming on the move, as liberating as the Sony Walkman.

2 - Magnavox Oddysey, and any number of 'Colour TV Game' units (mine was a Grandstand). The invention of videogames, playable on a domestic TV. Yes, they were crude solid-state adaptations of even rougher analogue circuit experiments (by the Great (Ralph) Baer), but they were genuinely something entirely new. Everything since then has just spun off a path of more realistic graphics and real-world modelling, with an occasional, miraculous, original game idea thrown in.

1 - OUYA - Not for what it is, but for what it represents. It might just be a chance to break the stranglehold the likes of SEGA and Nintendo and now Sony and Microsoft have on you the moment you hand over your cash for that piece of hardware. It's your console, not their's.

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:25 pm

necronom wrote:I could fill my car with water, stick some fish in it and call it a fish tank, but that wouldn't mean it was one.

The DS and Vita have controllers built in and are made for playing games as their primary purpose.

Consoles are indeed more dramatically restricted computers, but that wasn't the point.

I think everyone's aware that it's pretty obvious what the difference is between a computer, a games console, and a phone/tablet. Apart from the people putting C64 and Amigas in the lists...

I've just thought that maybe not knowing the difference is why we have all those threads in the games forum say "What games/consoles have you bought this week", "Most seen console on markets/carboots", "What makes you love a console?", "What console are you hoping to collect for...", "Console advertising slogans", "worst designed console", "The One Game You Want to Play on A Console You Don't Own", "Your first console", "console this", "console that". I usually ignore any thread asking about consoles, but maybe the thread starters sometimes actually meant computers, too?

I have to say, I rather think that "Greatest game devices" woulda been a better list.

If sticking with the "traditional" idea of what is or isnt a console, even things like the GameBoy would have to be excluded, as they are handhelds. That doesnt mean though that they werent the primary gaming thing for various people.

As it is, if I were to try to do a more "pure" list like that myself, I'd probably just get irritated and quit halfway through. Aside from the NES and 2600, I"m not very fond of traditional consoles as a whole. Never was, and sure as bloody hell never will be. My usual interaction with traditional consoles is to either hit them with things when they inevitably irritate me, or bury them under mountains of cables and forget they exist.

Still, some of the lists here are at least entertaining.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Drawing a line between "consoles" and "handhelds" is hilarious.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 am

Misery wrote:

I have to say, I rather think that "Greatest game devices" woulda been a better list.

If sticking with the "traditional" idea of what is or isnt a console, even things like the GameBoy would have to be excluded, as they are handhelds. That doesnt mean though that they werent the primary gaming thing for various people.

Gameboy is a Handheld Console.

I genuinely am stunned to find people struggling with the concept of what is a console.

As it is, if I were to try to do a more "pure" list like that myself, I'd probably just get irritated and quit halfway through. Aside from the NES and 2600, I"m not very fond of traditional consoles as a whole. Never was, and sure as bloody hell never will be. My usual interaction with traditional consoles is to either hit them with things when they inevitably irritate me, or bury them under mountains of cables and forget they exist.

Still, some of the lists here are at least entertaining.
Gameboy is a Handheld Console.
I genuinely am stunned to find people struggling with the concept of what is a console.