Greatest consoles of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dreamer

Re: Greatest consoles of all time

Post by Dreamer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:00 am

5 Pts -SEGA Mega Drive

4 Pts - SEGA Dreamcast

3 Pts - Nintendo Gamecube

2 Pts - SNES

1 Pt - SONY PlayStation

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:59 pm

koopa42 wrote:I-pad. It's not a console in any way shape or form. Someone had to say it.

I've decided otherwise, particularly considering what a waste of existence I consider the current consoles to be. Far as I'm concerned, if it plays games and is not on fire or covered in bees, it is a console.

And here I go, posting without caffeine again....

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:19 am

Yes yes, some people also decided that the Earth was flat and Kristen Stewart has more than half a facial expression.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:36 am

I-Pad is A portable electronic device capable of playing games, is what way is it not a games console?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:48 am

the_hawk wrote:I-Pad is A portable electronic device capable of playing games, is what way is it not a games console?
LOL

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:13 am

the_hawk wrote:I-Pad is A portable electronic device capable of playing games, is what way is it not a games console?
Because it's a multi-function device that not only plays games but you can use it for web-browsing, social networking, playing media and all the other things you can do with a Playstation Vita.

Er... well... you get the gist, I'm sure. :wink:

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 am

koopa42 wrote:
the_hawk wrote:I-Pad is A portable electronic device capable of playing games, in what way is it not a games console?
LOL
Ah, a very compelling point, you've convinced me.

OR type 99 to continue

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:18 am

koopa42 wrote:Yes yes, some people also decided... Kristen Stewart has more than half a facial expression.
Half? You're being generous - unless you're talking about that weird jaw thing she does...

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:39 am

5 points - Dreamcast
4 points - Saturn
3 points - SNES
2 points - Megadrive
1 point - DS

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am

A Sinclair ZX Spectrum is also an electronic device capable of playing videogames. As is a DEC PDP-10. Are they games consoles?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:58 am

Capable, but not its main focus.

And the makers call it a tablet so I will also call it a tablet. Not a console

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:12 am

I really don't know why the iPad wouldn't be considered a games console, that's why I'm asking the question.

I take the point that gamings not the only thing it can do, but I can't think of a dedicated gaming machine since the Atari jaguar, hell even the Gameboy could take pictures with a peripheral.

I asked the oracle that is google & the following article was one of the first links it spewed up revealing some fella at Apple claiming the iPod as a gaming console.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/12/appl ... g-console/

In any case I guess it doesn't matter, Android's a way better platform anyway. :lol:

OR type 99 to continue

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:21 am

the_hawk wrote:I really don't know why the iPad wouldn't be considered a games console, that's why I'm asking the question.
Because it's main purpose in life isn't to play games. It also doesn't come with game controllers, and is mainly to go on the internet, read books, listen to music, watch films, etc. It's more a VERY restricted computer.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 am

1. Xbox 360
2. Speccy
3. Dreamcast
4. SNES
5. Amiga

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:46 am

necronom wrote:
the_hawk wrote:I really don't know why the iPad wouldn't be considered a games console, that's why I'm asking the question.
Because it's main purpose in life isn't to play games. It also doesn't come with game controllers, and is mainly to go on the internet, read books, listen to music, watch films, etc. It's more a VERY restricted computer.

Actually Apple is making official controllers for the things (and there already are 3rd party control things, mostly arcade sticks). They're like PCs; they can exist for extremely basic functions and business applications, but there are plenty (such as myself) that buy them JUST for the gaming. Wether or not Apple starts putting out packages that contain both the device and the controller at the same time, I've no idea.

Technically, the DS and Vita dont come with controllers either.

Also technically, the consoles are even more dramatically restricted computers; particularly the PS3/360 generation. Oh, I *could* use the PS3 to go on the internet and do stuff of that nature.... if I want the absolute worst possible internet experience in the history of the multiverse *shudder*. I've often gone to great lengths to avoid having to use that accursed device for anything that ISNT gaming, lest I launch it out a window, probably more than once. And the 360 is an annoying brick. I cant yet compare it to the new consoles.
koopa42 wrote:Yes yes, some people also decided that the Earth was flat and Kristen Stewart has more than half a facial expression.
What's a Kristen Stewart?