Greatest consoles of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Liamh1982

Re: Greatest consoles of all time

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:48 am

^ Seemed a fairly even split round here - I think the Turtles and WWF packs helped the NES gain some traction cos they seemed to be the only non-Mario games my mates had! :lol:

Considering that, I didn't get my own NES till last year cos it was going to be scrapped and I could have it for £2. Usual prices, I'd still be waiting whereas I have three Master Systems and the total price I paid for the trio can't be much more than a tenner - they're quite often ridiculously cheap.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 am

koopa42 wrote:Who said that GB wasn't a console? SOmeone trying to make a point about I-fools?
I suspect it's different among different communities; around where I'm at, NOBODY usually considers handhelds to ever be consoles. The very idea would just cause lots of giggling, or just get people staring at you as if a 5th head had just sprouted out of your shoulders. I say it's the "traditional" view on it, as it's the one I've heard by far the most often. That's how the terms are used around my area, and in most other areas I've been to (I do alot of travelling and have multiple houses that I stay at). But can be different from one place to the next, I suppose.

If you go by your logic though, then I'm entirely correct: The ipad IS a console. A handheld that plays games; that it uses a touchscreen makes little difference. Android would probably count as well, but I cant speak on that, having never used it. Even the nightmare that was the N-Gage, by that logic, would count. A bloody HORRIBLE console, it would be, but still.

In the long run though, I dont think it matters all that much. It's clear that different people will have different views on this one (thus the C64 and such being on lists...). My own thoughts on it stay the same: If it plays numerous games and isnt in some crazy condition like being in a million pieces, being sat on by an elephant, or being buried in the core of Jupiter, than it is, to me, a console. AKA, "console" = "game thingy". Merely a convenient term. As always, my mind wont change on this. Not that THAT should surprise anyone.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:22 am

Misery wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Who said that GB wasn't a console? SOmeone trying to make a point about I-fools?
I suspect it's different among different communities; around where I'm at, NOBODY usually considers handhelds to ever be consoles. The very idea would just cause lots of giggling, or just get people staring at you as if a 5th head had just sprouted out of your shoulders. I say it's the "traditional" view on it, as it's the one I've heard by far the most often. That's how the terms are used around my area, and in most other areas I've been to (I do alot of travelling and have multiple houses that I stay at). But can be different from one place to the next, I suppose.

If you go by your logic though, then I'm entirely correct: The ipad IS a console. A handheld that plays games; that it uses a touchscreen makes little difference. Android would probably count as well, but I cant speak on that, having never used it. Even the nightmare that was the N-Gage, by that logic, would count. A bloody HORRIBLE console, it would be, but still.

In the long run though, I dont think it matters all that much. It's clear that different people will have different views on this one (thus the C64 and such being on lists...). My own thoughts on it stay the same: If it plays numerous games and isnt in some crazy condition like being in a million pieces, being sat on by an elephant, or being buried in the core of Jupiter, than it is, to me, a console. AKA, "console" = "game thingy". Merely a convenient term. As always, my mind wont change on this. Not that THAT should surprise anyone.

Are you saying the "traditional" view is that the gameboy is not a console, because if you are then I would disagree. In 30+ years of gaming and being involeved in the community, handhelds such as the Gameboy have always been considered handheld consoles.
Last edited by RodimusPrime on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 pm

That NES thing is bit weird innit?…

Well I suppose my opinions are possibly informed more by personal experiences and preferences rather than solid sales figures etc which I am somewhat ignorant of.

As kid who grew up in Dublin in the late 80's though, the Nintendo NES seemed to me to be everywhere. To contextualise: I was more inclined to have being paying attention to computers back then, as I had owned a Vic, Sinclair ZX48, C64 and soon after an Amiga. My parents were dead set against consoles so I probably viewed them as unattainable and generally ignored unless I was reading C+VG, and as I stated, I have always been of the opinion that in Europe, the home computer was far more dominant to the consoles until the advent of the 16-bit era.

On the flipside I only ever recall one kid who had a Master System. Was not aware that the SMS was such a hit in the UK? Was it really? I thought the NES outsold the SMS for the PAL region as a whole? I always thought it was somewhat of an also-ran. Never really made much of an impact on my gaming consciousness personally. My awareness of Sega related things was primarily piqued by the MD. Lost interest with the Saturn though, only rediscovered how awesome a console it is in recent years. Ditto with the Dreamcast...

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:55 pm

^ Comparing sales figures for areas outside the US and Japan is tricky cos areas have been split up in different ways. Overall the SMS sold better in Europe, Australia and Brazil but of course there are pockets within where the reverse would be true (not Brazil though!). I just don't know which ones...

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:19 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Misery wrote:

Are you saying the "traditional" view is that the gameboy is not a console, because if you are then I would disagree. In 30+ years of gaming and being involeved in the community, handhelds such as the Gameboy have always been considered handheld consoles.

Moreso, the traditional view in the areas I personally am in or have been enough of a part of. Like I said, it's gonna be different from one place to another.

My own PERSONAL view is that, yeah, it counts as one. I've always loved the original Gameboy myself. It's no NES, but still.

I *really* need to rebuild my collection for that. Sold a huge chunk of it, many years ago.... kinda wish I could go back in time and kick myself a few times to stop me from doing that. I dont remember WHY I did this. Feh. Either way though, there's alot of good games on there.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:00 pm

I had one friend who had a NES but two of my friends who lived in the same street as me when I was a kid had master systems. Played on them a lot more than the NES. My only real experience of the NES for many years was a display one in the local toy shop.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Just to add my personal experience: Here in Portugal there were more kids with the Master System than with the NES, but it wasn't much of a big difference. The Megadrive-SNES relation on the other way was totally in favour of the Sega machine. I never met anyone with a SNES, and now that i'm trying to remember, i don't think i ever saw a SNES, ever.

Megadrives were everywhere though.

Papa_Midnight

Post by Papa_Midnight » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:09 pm

5. Atari 2600
4. SNES
3. Playstation
2. NES
1. Xbox original
"when everything is going right, something is wrong"

Post by 3703 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:51 am

Bit of love for the Saturn, good to see :)

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:33 am

tied between Playstation and 2600 for me

but for these purposes -

5p - Playstation
4p - 2600
3p - SNES
2p - Xbox 360
1p - PS2
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

happyguy151

Post by happyguy151 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:34 pm

I know this topic is old but I have only just come across it. It interests me what peoples opinions are in regards to favorite consoles. I have added up all the scores:

Sega Megadrive 148 Points
Super Nintendo 137 Points
Sony PlayStation 116 Points
Xbox 360 104 Points
PS2 85 Points
Atari 2600 84 Points
Sega Dreamcast 80 Points
NES/N64 (TIED) 55 Points each
Sega Saturn 50 Points
Gamecube 36 Points
Game Boy/PC Engine (TIED) 33 Points each
Nintendo DS 32 Points
Sega Master System/PS3 (TIED) 26 Points each
Wii 22 Points
Atari Lynx/Original Xbox (TIED) 16 Points each
GBA 15 Points
Vectrex 13 Points
Neo Geo 10 Points
3DO 9 Points
PSP 8 Points
3DS 6 Points
Colecovision/Spectrum (TIED) 4 Points each
Amiga/Intellivision/Commodore 16 Plus 4/ipad (TIED) 3 Points each
Atari Jaguar/Magnavox Odyssey 2/Commodore 64 (TIED) 2 Points each
Sega Mega CD/Atari 7800/Amiga CD32/CDi/GX 4000/C64 GS/VITA/OUYA (TIED) 1 Point each

Happy to see my favorite retro consoles, Megadrive and SNES get the highest votes :D