Bring back Ghosts 'N Goblins for the first time in 22 years

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

msingleton1977

Bring back Ghosts 'N Goblins for the first time in 22 years

Post by msingleton1977 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:16 am

Hi everyone!

My name is Monty Singleton. This is my first post so a few things to introduce myself. My favorite arcade game is Ghosts 'N Goblins and my favorite NES game is: The Legend Of Zelda. Second favorite for both platforms, Super Mario Bros. I have a small but well displayed collection for the NES and I collect a LOT of arcade stuff. For example, I had a guy disassemble a Stun Runner marquee and ship it to me. The control panel for After Burner (weighed like 30 pounds!) and Terminator 2. Items that required tools and an hour or so.

I'm on a mission to take my passion for arcades and reimagine them for future generations. Our first project is Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. Good to meet everyone here! If this is the wrong forum please feel free to delete or move this thread. I don't want to break etiquette. Thanks!

Monty

Please feel free to add discussion to the forum - and after you've made 50 posts you'll be able to link to your site. Anyone that want's more info - pm this chap. Marko.

stvd

Re: Bring back Ghosts 'N Goblins for the first time in 22 ye

Post by stvd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 am

22 years?
Wasn't it release on the PS1 (maybe even available on PS3)???

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:04 pm

stvd wrote:22 years?
It's just spam as you can tell by the link under his post, he's just trying to drum up support for a proposed Ghosts 'n Goblins game via Kickstarter, I don't even think they've sought permission off Capcom to use the name. :? Sure I read about this on another site (Nintendolife maybe?)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah I am sure that Capcom will have something to say about this.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Its an active IP so this will go nowhere, there was the new PSP game just a few years ago. I dont doubt that the new systems will see Capcom compilations or downloads of the old ones too.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 pm

There were also two Ghosts 'n Goblins: Gold Knights games on the iPhone a few years ago.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:21 pm

msingleton1977 wrote:Hi everyone!

My name is Monty Singleton. This is my first post so a few things to introduce myself. My favorite arcade game is Ghosts 'N Goblins and my favorite NES game is: The Legend Of Zelda. Second favorite for both platforms, Super Mario Bros. I have a small but well displayed collection for the NES and I collect a LOT of arcade stuff. For example, I had a guy disassemble a Stun Runner marquee and ship it to me. The control panel for After Burner (weighed like 30 pounds!) and Terminator 2. Items that required tools and an hour or so.

I'm on a mission to take my passion for arcades and reimagine them for future generations. Our first project is Ghosts 'N Goblins - Demon World. Good to meet everyone here! If this is the wrong forum please feel free to delete or move this thread. I don't want to break etiquette. Thanks!

Monty

Please feel free to add discussion to the forum - and after you've made 50 posts you'll be able to link to your site. Anyone that want's more info - pm this chap. Marko.
yeah, once you hit 50 posts you will be trustworthy enough for me to send money to, I may even have you cutting up some wood........

msingleton1977

Post by msingleton1977 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:16 am

First, I don't mean to spam people. I'm trying to get people on board for a new Ghosts 'N Goblins game.

It's been 22 years since it's been on the console. Yes, there have been many portable versions of the game but our focus is the console.
We are trying to reimagine the 80s gaming experience.

Ghosts 'N Goblins is Capcom's IP. I discussed this with them before I went to Kickstarter, and if we can provide them with a high quality game, they will review and hopefully publish it. No promises, just an opportunity. Phantasm Studios would be the developer, Capcom the publisher.

Thanks for checking out our project! Let me know if you have any questions.

Monty

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:48 am

msingleton1977 wrote:It's been 22 years since it's been on the console. Yes, there have been many portable versions of the game but our focus is the console.
It's been available on consoles numerous times since then, even right up to this (Xbox 360/PS3/Wii) generation.
stvd wrote:22 years?
Yeah, it was on the Capcom Generations compilation for the original Playstation and Saturn (arcade perfect port, along with an arcade perfect port of Ghouls 'n Ghosts and a port of SNES Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts), though the Saturn version was Jap only. It was also included on Capcom Classics Collection for PS2 and Xbox, and more recently as a download on the Wii Shop Channel, and also as part of Capcom Arcade Cabinet on Xbox 360 and PS3.

And that's as well as the handheld versions, such as being on Capcom Classics Reloaded for PSP, the NES version being available for download on the 3DS and Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins for PSP which was a brand new entry in the frachise.

I appreciate what you're trying to do Monty, but you're very much mistaken if you think it's an IP that Capcom have neglected or aren't still getting a lot of use out of.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

msingleton1977

Post by msingleton1977 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:39 pm

ToxieDogg wrote: I appreciate what you're trying to do Monty, but you're very much mistaken if you think it's an IP that Capcom have neglected or aren't still getting a lot of use out of.
I'm glad you appreciate what we are trying to do! Thanks!

I'm not including re-releases here.

Without re-releases and emulators, it's been 22 years since there's been a new non-portable version of Ghosts 'N Goblins. Gold Knights is where the franchise is right now, and it pisses me off. I'm doing something to change it. Ghosts N Goblins deserves so much more than being a crappy $.99 iOS game.

Monty

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:19 am

What about the Maximo games?

They were a return to the franchise and an attempt to update it.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:13 am

There was also the psp games (ultimate ghouls n ghosts I think was the title). Probably my favourite of the titles since the original ghouls n ghosts. As mentioned above there was also the spiritual successor in the guise of the Maximo games which I also really liked. Such a pity that the studio that made the first two closed before making the third game that would have wrapped thing up (but at the same time they should have never made final fight streetwise!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:45 am

:lol:

Are you sure your name isn't Monty Python, as this thread reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

Apart from the two Ghosts 'n Goblins: Gold Knights games, Capcom Generations compilation on PS1 and Saturn (along with an arcade perfect port of Ghouls 'n Ghosts and a port of SNES Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts), Capcom Classics Collection for PS2 and Xbox, a download on the Wii Shop Channel, part of Capcom Arcade Cabinet on Xbox 360 and PS3, Capcom Classics Reloaded for PSP, the NES version being available for download on the 3DS and Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins for PSP, the Maximo games, and Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins, <deep breath>, when in the last 22 years have we had any Ghosts 'N Goblins games?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:07 am

That there is forum gold :lol:

If it wasn't so long, I'd have that for my new sig line.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:27 pm

necronom wrote::lol:

Are you sure your name isn't Monty Python, as this thread reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

Apart from the two Ghosts 'n Goblins: Gold Knights games, Capcom Generations compilation on PS1 and Saturn (along with an arcade perfect port of Ghouls 'n Ghosts and a port of SNES Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts), Capcom Classics Collection for PS2 and Xbox, a download on the Wii Shop Channel, part of Capcom Arcade Cabinet on Xbox 360 and PS3, Capcom Classics Reloaded for PSP, the NES version being available for download on the 3DS and Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins for PSP, the Maximo games, and Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins, <deep breath>, when in the last 22 years have we had any Ghosts 'N Goblins games?
You forgot to mention the fairly decent original entry in the series Makaimura for WonderSwan. Of course, that is on a handheld console, so doesn't count...