XB1 v PS4 on COD Ghosts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HalcyonDaze00

XB1 v PS4 on COD Ghosts

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:42 am

as somebody who has not yet decided on which machine to buy, info like this is not going to do MS any favours, especially on a franchise as important as Call Of Duty:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-of-d ... t-4173810/

Matt_B

Re: XB1 v PS4 on COD Ghosts

Post by Matt_B » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:07 am

Well, it's not exactly rocket science that a machine with 50% more shaders and much faster RAM is going to offer slightly better graphics.

The difference might not be huge and in time developers might be able to leverage the XB1's ESRAM to narrow that gap. However, as ever, the onus is on Microsoft to explain quite what you're paying the extra £80 for.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:12 am

Matt_B wrote: However, as ever, the onus is on Microsoft to explain quite what you're paying the extra £80 for.

Kinect.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:18 am

Didnt know the Xbox could look so good,

So much brown and grey in one video

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:25 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:as somebody who has not yet decided on which machine to buy, info like this is not going to do MS any favours, especially on a franchise as important as Call Of Duty:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-of-d ... t-4173810/
I doubt, going into the next gen, CoD will remain as big as it has. Titles that define one gen very rarely continue to do so into the next - see Tomb Raider or Splinter Cell. The next gen is up for grabs and a new franchise like Titanfall might easily steal CoD's crown if Infinity Ward slips up at this vital point (early reviews are lukewarm, scores hovering around 7 rather than the usual 9s). I have a distinct feeling that Ghosts will not break records in the way the last four or five games have, and Battlefield will close the gap considerably.

But on the broader point, yes - early reports of Xbox One games being heavily outclassed by their PS4 bretheren have got to be worrying for MS. Unlike Nintendo, who have again sidestepped the fight and positioned themselves differently, MS and Sony have chosen to battle squarely on the ground of beefy specs and sheer graphical grunt, and it appears that MS is going into that fight carrying a handicap.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 am

I usually buy CoD on the 360 as I prefer the pad but as I have a PS4 preorderd I have bought this on PS3 so I can take advantage of the £9.99 next gen upgrade offer.

It just means I have to put up with the awful Duelshock 3 for the next month on it!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 am

Ghosts may not do as well as normal for a new COD but I wouldn't write the series off just yet.

COD will still be the dominant game for many years to come and once the coming gen has established itself in the market you will see that around this time next year Black Ops 3 will smash every record in the book.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:10 am

Microsoft made it pretty clear they were focusing on TV rather than graphics so it's no great suprise. If you buy a next gen console to play current gen games you need your head looking at IMO, but I'm sure it will fly off the shelves. Microsoft still have first access to new maps on both COD and battlefield, the online service is probably still better and the pad definitely is so I still think the the XB1 versions will be the ones to own for a lot of people. The whole 1080 vs 720 sounds great on the internet but most people don't care or won't notice.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:14 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Microsoft made it pretty clear they were focusing on TV rather than graphics so it's no great suprise. If you buy a next gen console to play current gen games you need your head looking at IMO, but I'm sure it will fly off the shelves. Microsoft still have first access to new maps on both COD and battlefield, the online service is probably still better and the pad definitely is so I still think the the XB1 versions will be the ones to own for a lot of people. The whole 1080 vs 720 sounds great on the internet but most people don't care or won't notice.
True, it has to be said that you'd need a pretty large TV to notice the difference. Heck many people think they're already playing games in 1080p on their PS3s and 360s and haven't realized quite how much upscaling is going on with them.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:18 am

1.5 times the resolution on the PS4 compared to the Xbone :lol: Excellent! If the first games are 1080p on the PS4, then things are looking good.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:34 am

Scanning through the reviews it seems Black Ops 2 is still the better MP game so I'll still be dipping into that over te next 12 months!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:54 am

Joey wrote:Scanning through the reviews it seems Black Ops 2 is still the better MP game so I'll still be dipping into that over te next 12 months!
yes, I don't use the single player game on COD, I only play for online so I will most likely give Ghosts a miss and then jump onto Black Ops 3 with the XB1 or PS4 in 12 months time.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Ooh... I can't wait to see what the resident "defender" has to say on this touchy subject :lol:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:25 pm

I was going to wait and only buy Ghosts on Xbox One but a few of my work mates have purchased for 360 with a view to porting stats over to Xbox One upon its release and I don't want to get left behind rank-wise so I bought Ghosts for 360 this morning and will trade in for the next gen version when The One is released. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Embarrassingly, I have actually purchased this for my PC. I just don't buy these games for me anymore :oops:

Will install later after darts tonight and may chuck it through the 47in TV, cranked up to max settings so I can see what all the fuss is about!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/