First game using parallax scrolling?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: First game using parallax scrolling?

Post by joefish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:34 am

turboboing wrote:On R-Type II for the Amiga I borrowed a technique used on Turrican, where you would use the hardware sprites as a background parallax layer, this meant you could have more colours on the foreground layer. The downside to this was you needed a really complex coppa list for multiplex the hardware sprites. The max width you could do with the sprites was 64 pixels, but you could trick it into restarting again at another position. You will notice on R-Type II it used a repeating pattern of 64 pixels wide.
Ah, yes, I forgot about that particular trick.
Nice to have a developer from 'back then' on the board. Did you just write for the Amiga, or did you do anything on the ST?

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Reading an old retro gamer yesterday and I'm pretty sure they said moon patrol - as someone above mentioned.

Balders

Post by Balders » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:56 am

turboboing wrote:On R-Type II for the Amiga I borrowed a technique used on Turrican, where you would use the hardware sprites as a background parallax layer, this meant you could have more colours on the foreground layer. The downside to this was you needed a really complex coppa list for multiplex the hardware sprites. The max width you could do with the sprites was 64 pixels, but you could trick it into restarting again at another position. You will notice on R-Type II it used a repeating pattern of 64 pixels wide.
I played the hell out of R-Type II on the Amiga back in the day, and I definitely appreciated the fact that it combined parallax scrolling with a pretty high colour count. Thanks for doing such a good job on it! :)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:47 am

turboboing wrote:Hi guys,

just joined the forum and noticed you talking about my games 8) (Forgotten Worlds and R-Type II).

The Atari St didn't have any support for hardware scrolling (let alone dual playfield) so you had to do everything on the cpu which was very time consuming.
A lot of ST games would pre-shift the blocks that made up the background so you could quickly do smooth scrolling.

The Amiga had a dual playfield mode which gave you 8 colors per layer which we used on the Amiga version of Forgotten Worlds.

On R-Type II for the Amiga I borrowed a technique used on Turrican, where you would use the hardware sprites as a background parallax layer, this meant you could have more colours on the foreground layer. The downside to this was you needed a really complex coppa list for multiplex the hardware sprites. The max width you could do with the sprites was 64 pixels, but you could trick it into restarting again at another position. You will notice on R-Type II it used a repeating pattern of 64 pixels wide.

On another of my Amiga games, Dragon Breed, I used the coppa list to change the background colour every scan line. This is similar to the approach used on Shadow of the beast which used the coppa to set different scroll speeds on each scan line.

Tim.
Excellent! Welcome to the forum Tim :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

merman

Post by merman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:14 am

I seem to remember Exed Exes by Capcom being touted as one of the first vertically scrolling games to include parallax scrolling backgrounds. It also inspired the game Bounder.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube