How Video Games Changed The World

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bonerlaw

Re: How Video Games Changed The World

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Lot of comments here about the absence of sports/ racing games (although did you all miss the comments and footage of Wipeout?)

This list (hated the fact that it was a numbered list, seemed irrelevant as it chronological), was of games that changed the world either by taking advantage of new hardware/software developments, challenging cultural norms, or changing how we play games.

I stand to be corrected, but I can think of few sports/ racing games that have a had a cultural impact on society, however I do stand to be corrected.

Apart from the twitter thing (huge disappointment), I thought it was an interesting look at the evolution of gaming and society, and the impacts they had on each other.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:09 pm

Mayhem wrote:
The Laird wrote:I was really looking forward to this not only for the gaming but also because it was done by the brilliant Charlie Brooker. However I found it very disappointing indeed, some of the game choices were very strange indeed and there were a lot of historical/factual mistakes. Meh.
I didn't spot anything untoward apart from arguing about the first female gaming icon being Lara Croft (when it was Samus Arun probably), but... elaborate?
I don't think he was suggesting that she was the first major female character in a game, rather just the one that crossed over into mainstream culture as a virtual celebrity. Samus might have done that in Japan for all I know, but I don't recall her being all over the tabloids in these parts at least.

And you can apply that same argument for a lot of his choices. It's rarely the games that did something first that are the one that made the world sit up and notice, after all; he could perhaps have name-checked where the ideas originated, if indeed he knew, but it'd probably fly over the heads of a mainstream audience.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:24 am

DPrinny wrote:Hang on Night Trap had a passing mention, that did change things, made us start having ratings on games

Too bad the only video game related content on TV is that sodding "The blurb" program, had to stop watching it as it seemed to be sponsored by Tomb Raider, every sodding week was something about it.

Same as Bad Influence getting sponsored by Rise of the Robots

So my question is.

Is Pirates of the caribbean really just Monkey Island the film?

Err there's an entire channel dedicated purely to gaming??

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122265- ... nnel-in-uk
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:46 am

samhain81 wrote:The programme was terrible
Didnt think it was too bad at all, 2 hours on a mainstream channel on a saturday night about gaming i think is good for all of us. Quite enjoyed listening to the list, obviously as its a list theres no chance in hell of everyone agreeing with it but in the year 2013 and seeing Manic Miner on Channel 4 was worth it alone !

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:00 am

bonerlaw wrote:Lot of comments here about the absence of sports/ racing games (although did you all miss the comments and footage of Wipeout?)
And Pokemon and any RPGs.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:11 am

Mayhem wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:Lot of comments here about the absence of sports/ racing games (although did you all miss the comments and footage of Wipeout?)
And Pokemon and any RPGs.
WoW?
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:31 am

Yeah, there were no driving games except GTA III, no sports except Wii Sports and no RPGs except WoW. In all honesty, I'd think he had those bases covered; perhaps not with the games everyone would have picked, but they didn't seem bad choices to me.

Pokemon does appear to be a genuine omission though. I'm no fan myself, but it's hard to argue that it hasn't significantly influenced mainstream culture a heck of a lot more than a good half of the other games on the list.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:51 am

This list (hated the fact that it was a numbered list, seemed irrelevant as it chronological), was of games that changed the world either by taking advantage of new hardware/software developments, challenging cultural norms, or changing how we play games.

I stand to be corrected, but I can think of few sports/ racing games that have a had a cultural impact on society, however I do stand to be corrected.

Apart from the twitter thing (huge disappointment), I thought it was an interesting look at the evolution of gaming and society, and the impacts they had on each other.
I haven't watched the show yet - it's on my drive waiting - but just to respond to this particular post - I'd say Mario Kart changed the world within the parameters set out by the show.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:08 am

Gigifusc wrote:I haven't watched the show yet - it's on my drive waiting - but just to respond to this particular post - I'd say Mario Kart changed the world within the parameters set out by the show.
I honestly wouldn't agree with that.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:25 am

speedlolita wrote:
Gigifusc wrote:I haven't watched the show yet - it's on my drive waiting - but just to respond to this particular post - I'd say Mario Kart changed the world within the parameters set out by the show.
I honestly wouldn't agree with that.
Well, it's a massively popular series and all that, but the main cultural significance of Mario Kart is pretty much down to the fact that it's got Mario in it, and he'd already been covered via Super Mario Bros.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:50 am

Ok, now I'm not the biggest MK fan myself but I'm surprised by those two responses.

MK brought racing games to the masses on both the DS and then even more so on the Wii. These are uncles, aunts, mums & dads who would never have been able to play a racing game before it.

On the note about it being a 'Mario' game. Again, I'd argue that unlike most other Mario games, it relies much less on him as a main character - my daughter never plays as Mario and neither does my nephew. My son is more than happy to play any of the other chaarcters too.

i'd say MK is much more like SMB in this regards where the titular names are not that important or relevant anymore.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:35 am

Gigifusc wrote:Ok, now I'm not the biggest MK fan myself but I'm surprised by those two responses.

MK brought racing games to the masses on both the DS and then even more so on the Wii. These are uncles, aunts, mums & dads who would never have been able to play a racing game before it.
I'm also in the no need to mention Mario Kart camp. I'd say games like Wii sports, which was mentioned, (and Brain Training, Nintendo Dogs and Professor Layton on the DS) probably brought gaming to the masses this passing gen more than Mario Kart. I'm not sure playing a racing game specifically is of any real significance, and I don't think either Mario Kart DS or Wii did much to make them anymore accessable than before.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:53 am

another way to decide is looking at the timeframe, which game that did get covered would you take off the list to put mario Kart in?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:59 am

thebear wrote:another way to decide is looking at the timeframe, which game that did get covered would you take off the list to put mario Kart in?
Night Trap would be the obvious candidate. I'd take that off the list and leave five minutes of static, even. :D

Seriously, it wasn't presented as a list of the most popular games in their respective genres, or even the most innovative. Brooker was trying to make distinct points with each of them about their cultural significance and he'd have been repeating himself if Mario Kart had gone in there as well as Super Mario Bros.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:01 am

Matt_B wrote:Seriously, it wasn't presented as a list of the most popular games in their respective genres, or even the most innovative. Brooker was trying to make distinct points with each of them about their cultural significance and he'd have been repeating himself if Mario Kart had gone in there as well as Super Mario Bros.
Totally agree ! Halfway through the show at the moment, really enjoying it.