Games that would be banned today

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Games that would be banned today

Post by Shinobi » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Not sure if this has been asked before couldn't find anything from a search when I checked?

One game that springs to mind is Firebirds Mad Nurse which I own 2 copies of.. Your mission, is to collect all the roaming babies and put them back into their cots. The babies crawl from left to right, and all you need to do is walk over a baby, press up to pick them up, walk over to one of they're cribs and press down to put the babies to sleep. That's it. Put babies in their beds and make the NHS proud. The escaping Babies are killed from drinking bleach, disintegrating into ash by putting they're fingers in live plug sockets and splatting on the floor when failing from elevators

There was also another spectrum game where your mother was cut into pieces and scattered around hell that was supposedly the sickest game ever(Crash review) can't remember the name of that..

The daily Mail would have us believe that both Rule of Rose and GTA V are under that category
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Games that would be banned today

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Shinobi wrote: There was also another spectrum game where your mother was cut into pieces and scattered around hell that was supposedly the sickest game ever(Crash review) can't remember the name of that..
Soft & Cuddly!

http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.co.uk ... ctrum.html
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:45 pm

What about Street Hassle by Melbourne House, with Granny-nutting, copper bashing madness? The Daily Mail would be wetting their pants over something like that!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:00 pm

err.. Viz maybe? I mean what on earth is that guy doing as you get high enough to look over the fence??

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:21 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Shinobi wrote: There was also another spectrum game where your mother was cut into pieces and scattered around hell that was supposedly the sickest game ever(Crash review) can't remember the name of that..
Soft & Cuddly!

And there's also Go To Hell by the same author (John George Jones)....he was seemingly a bit of an odd sort.

I think How To Be A Complete Bastard would maybe have trouble with the censors if some of the stuff you could do in it was portrayed with much more realistic graphics and presentation. :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:24 am

Deus Ex Machina as todays gamers would implode from the creativity of it

crotea

Post by crotea » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:38 am

There was an 80's arcade game were you had to shoot body parts of your torture victims to gain points called chiller, I think it might have been banned in a few places thought but it was still released.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:05 am

Splatter house 2

Cutting up hell born babys with a chain saw.............................I think I know my next cosplay

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:15 am

How To Be A Complete B*stard

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 am

Kilb wrote:Deus Ex Machina as todays gamers would implode from the creativity of it
Given that Deus Ex Machina 2 has only recently been funded on Kickstarter, I guess not.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:12 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Soft & Cuddly!

I remember that cover scaring me as a kid.. All those babies being eaten by monsters and baby's with forks stuck in them would never be allowed today, seemed it traumatised the guy who reviewed it when he was a kid

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:17 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Soft & Cuddly!

And there's also Go To Hell by the same author (John George Jones)....he was seemingly a bit of an odd sort.

I think How To Be A Complete Bastard would maybe have trouble with the censors if some of the stuff you could do in it was portrayed with much more realistic graphics and presentation. :lol:
I always though Go to Hell was the Commodore 64 game with the Angel climbing the stairs to heaven, just watched somebody finishing it on You Tube and seems quite tame compared to his first game..

For some reason it reminds me of another game in which different insects would kill you, complete with different gory scene's a Dragonfly or something that drained your blood

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:46 am

the opening 'scene' of Double Dragon; using the Coventry chat up line of punching a woman in the guts. That would be banned these days :D

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:46 am

SoupDragon wrote:the opening 'scene' of Double Dragon; using the Coventry chat up line of punching a woman in the guts. That would be banned these days :D
It would also be a bit more X-Rated as I found most girls in Coventry don't ware pants!

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:45 pm

SoupDragon wrote:the opening 'scene' of Double Dragon; using the Coventry chat up line of punching a woman in the guts. That would be banned these days :D
That very scene was replicated in the reboot, Double Dragon Neon.