The one game you love that noone seems to have heard of

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

The one game you love that noone seems to have heard of

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:49 pm

I love a game on the PS1 called Rally de Africa, itsJapan only and i love this game. Its just that whenever I talk about it, 90% of people have no idea what it is.

its a total sega rally ripoff and it plays great, it has several classes of cars, and you start of with tiny little cars and move your way up. Even the first course is a blatent copy of sega rally's first stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJc5ID_uRbs

I am trying to get hold of the Sequel, Rally de Europe if anyone knows where there is a copy.

ToxieDogg

Re: The one game you love that noone seems to have heard of

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:37 pm

They're known about on here, but if I talk about games I've really enjoyed like Onechanbara, A Boy & His Blob (Wii remake), The Gregory Horror Show, Katamari Damacy, Jade Cocoon or Azure Dreams to my offline mates, I just get blank expressions and silence.

I honestly don't care if other people don't like the same games as me, but I do feel a bit sad at times when I talk to people and they've never even heard of the other games available for their consoles asides from the usual CoD/GTA/FIFA/Super Mario style big hitters.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:02 pm

I've always loved 2 games on the Mega Drive called "Super Hydlide" and "Soliel" (The US name of the second one was "Crusader of Centy").

Soliel was my first ever "proper" RPG, while I lost countless hours to Soliel which was a very approachable Action Adventure along similar lines to the Zelda series.

Super Hydlide was largely slated by people, but for me, I loved the fact it had stuff like weight limits for your character. Hold too much and your character would adopt the speed of a sloth doped up on hallucinogenic drugs. Carry below your limit and your character would be like a cheetah on amphetamines. Just that one thing alone was enough to set it apart from the countless other RPGs for me personally.

Soliel / Crusader of Centy was the closest thing Mega Drive / Genesis owners ever got to playing the Zelda series on their consoles and despite the kiddy graphics/story, it proved to be enjoyable to almost anyone who put in any kind of time to it at all.
Where logic won't work, I will

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:18 am

-BioMotor Unitron, on the Neo Geo Pocket Color - while everyone else had a Game Boy Color with Pokemon in it, I was playing this one. More or less the same thing only you collect different parts for your robot, and then fight mythical beasts rather than cute little monsters.

-Captain Dynamo, one of the last games Codemasters made for the Spectrum. One of those vertical platformer things, fairly challenging and the titular captain can talk as well!

-Gates of Zendocon on the Lynx, possibly my favourite horizontal shooter ever. It's the little things in it, like the way different parts can be knocked off your ship, and if you lose your gun you can use your engines as a weapon and burn things with them. Plus all the multiple routes through the game give it "replay value".

-Taiko Drum Master Wii - A lot of folk here probably already know about this one, but it really is the most fun game in the history of the world ever. Nearly impossible to play outside of events though.

-Score Rush, on the Xbox 360. Just a load of mad colours exploding everywhere, but it's the 360's best game, easily.

-Granada, for the Mega Drive. Or probably ALL of Wolf Team's Mega Drive games. They're hardly ever spoke about but they all have a weird sort of charm to them, be it the faceless characters, the over-the-top explosions or the gritty colouring... I can't get enough of them.

-Krystal Connection, for the BBC Micro. I don't know much about the BBC, but I do know that this game never gets mentioned. Another "events" favourite.

-Infinity Danger, the second-best 360 game. One of those twin-stick shooters, but with ridiculously over-the-top, screen-filling bosses.

-Jaws Unleashed, mentioned numerous times but it was hardly a big famous hit. A sandbox game where you play as a giant killer shark, it's too good.

-Super Robot Pinball, on the Game Boy Color - much like Pokemon Pinball only it's a load of Gundam and Evangelion robots.

-Super Dodge Ball Advance, possibly my favourite GBA game (and the first one I played too!) - just addictive, is all.

-MageSlayer, for the PC (around the Windows 95 era) - it's Gauntlet only with those weird 3D angles that the original GTA had, and lots and lots of blood.

-Demon Child ZENKI, on the Game Gear. Typical platformer thing which has you swapping characters to do different tasks, but I can't get enough of it.

EDIT: I see the title of the thread is the "one" game - whoops :oops:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:18 am

Tobal No.1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:31 am

koopa42 wrote:Tobal No.1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still have a sealed jap copy of that for the PS1. Never actually the game before.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:45 am

Play it now! it's like someone took a very poor version of Tekken and tacked on a nonsensical random dungeon crawler option at the end! It's pretty bizarre but somehow enjoyable (back then anyway). It was also the game that I got with my PS1

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:12 am

The Killing Floor, i think its a well known ST game but I dont hear much about it. I think its a classic.

The Kristal, another Atari ST classic! where's the ten page special 'eh RG? where?
Scott me up beamie!

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:29 am

Baroque.

Not the original one that appeared on the Saturn.... which I do have but cant really play due to all of the text being in Japanese....

I mean the one that appeared on the PS2 and Wii (naturally, the two consoles I dislike most, bah). That version is a completely different game from what the original was and doesnt even come close to playing like it.

And it's one of my absolute favorite games ever. I've put SO many hours into it.

James A

Post by James A » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Call Of Duty :D

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Personal Nightmare on the Amiga. I seem to think of it as a classic, yet the rest of the world seems to disagree, haha.

But that's the way it goes.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Zombie Apocolypse II - Amiga (public domain game)

A good old zombie nosh blaster, me and a mate even changed the title screen to Zombie Nosh LOL

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Monster Rancher on PS1. I was well and truly obsessed with this as a teen. Most people that knew about it were only aware of the TV series. Didnt quite have the impact Pokemon did but I probably sank more hours into the PS1 game over any Pokemon cart.

Been playing some Monster Rancher 3 on PS2 recently. Not as good but still has its charm. There are monsters in all your discs :D

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Jungle King?
Going Solo...................

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:20 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Jungle King?
Oi! ! ! ! Less of that! The Jungle King is so mighty everyone knows it and owns it and plays it every 3 hours.