The one time you had to admit you got it completely wrong

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

General Opulence

Re: The one time you had to admit you got it completely wron

Post by General Opulence » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:50 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Take away the arcade conversions and the consoles have nothing?
Did i say that? I said " if you take the arcade conversions away which i now play on MAME the Megadrive and SNES simply don't have as many games i play compared to the Amiga"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:00 am

I guess it comes down to the games you like playing. I'm a big fan of shmups for example and out of all the ones I've played on the Amiga, only Aphidya comes close, most other Amiga shooters are universally awful. The same can be said for games like Superfrog and Body Blows, they're championed for no other reason that it's the closest Amiga owners could get to the big hitters on rival consoles. Again it's personal opinion.

As for playing on the original hardware, I agree with that to a point, but there are quite a few Amiga games that are better on consoles due to the systems having more than one button. I'll happily play Sensible all day on an Amiga though, the console versions just didn't feel right to me.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:13 am

Some of the console versions of Sensi aren't great, Master System and SNES spring to mind straight away. However I would take the Mega CD version and especially the Jaguar version with its vastly improved A.I. over the ST/Amiga original anyday.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:37 am

The Laird wrote:Some of the console versions of Sensi aren't great, Master System and SNES spring to mind straight away. However I would take the Mega CD version and especially the Jaguar version with its vastly improved A.I. over the ST/Amiga original anyday.
Well the Jaguar version was based on the updated Amiga Sensible Soccer International anyway, all versions had improved A.I.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:49 am

General Opulence wrote:
The Laird wrote:Some of the console versions of Sensi aren't great, Master System and SNES spring to mind straight away. However I would take the Mega CD version and especially the Jaguar version with its vastly improved A.I. over the ST/Amiga original anyday.
Well the Jaguar version was based on the updated Amiga Sensible Soccer International anyway, all versions had improved A.I.
Based upon yes, same no. Jaguar version is definitely superior in every area but especially when it comes to the A.I.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:23 am

Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga is still the best version

sidney

Post by sidney » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:18 am

It is but I think the Megadrive version runs it close.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:24 am

The Laird wrote:
Based upon yes, same no. Jaguar version is definitely superior in every area but especially when it comes to the A.I.
Not saying its not true, but is there any evidence to back this up? Developer interview? I heard it was just one guy who prob used the Megadrive or Amiga code and maybe added some 24-bit colour title screens, its hard to think one guy would even go about adding any extras and just get the game ported in the shortest time possible, esp giving the limited Jaguar market in 1995 (The Amiga was already on SWOS by this point).

sidney

Post by sidney » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:34 am

Bought an ST instead of an Amiga back in 1991 (because of the price difference) regretted it and rectified that the next year. Didn't look back!

David

Post by David » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:18 pm

cd32 version is the best I played

both Amiga, AND console, aaargh mind+blown

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:44 pm

General Opulence wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Not saying its not true, but is there any evidence to back this up? Developer interview? I heard it was just one guy who prob used the Megadrive or Amiga code and maybe added some 24-bit colour title screens, its hard to think one guy would even go about adding any extras and just get the game ported in the shortest time possible, esp giving the limited Jaguar market in 1995 (The Amiga was already on SWOS by this point).
it wasn't one guy, it was a team. I interviewed various people from Telegames for an RG article a while back. It has a lot more changes other than the title screen, which is actually the same ironically enough - already disproving your comment!
Last edited by The Laird on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:01 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga is still the best version
indeed

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:02 pm

Having not played a Metroid game before, I couldn't see what the fuss was about Metroid Prime when it first came out, the images in the magazines just didn't appeal to me and I couldn't understand all the hype and review scores. Eventually I took a punt on it and couldn't have been more wrong about the game.

Also, after an initial quick go of Viewtiful Joe, I decided it was overrated garbage. Years later I picked it up again on the cheap, gave it a proper go and found it to a really good game, if pretty tough.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:10 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga is still the best version
indeed
Yes, although it's very much an incremental improvement and all versions are very playable.

I've even got a soft spot for the unSensible Soccer, apples vs oranges magazine covergame.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Matt_B wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
indeed
Yes, although it's very much an incremental improvement and all versions are very playable.

I've even got a soft spot for the unSensible Soccer, apples vs oranges magazine covergame.
incremental in terms of gameplay mayber, in terms of everything else it was a huge leap forward. the shear amount of leagues clubs and players, and the career mode was staggering at the time. being able to move between any club in the world and being able to buy and sell thousands of players. it was aa unbelievebly iin depth, complex career mode.

Its also the reason that no console version comes close to being the best version of sensible soccer.