Anyone else find using emulators a bland soulless Exp

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AmigaJay

Re: Anyone else find using emulators a bland soulless Exp

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Those do indeed look reasonably authentic but I'm with Ant on this one, I don't like scanlines at all.
I know I'm not playing on a CRT, there's no point in trying to pretend otherwise IMO. I like having the graphics look as clean and crisp as possible, the only filter I ever use on emus is the bi-linear when my TV can't handle a certain resolution that well.
I disagree, of course we know what hardware we are playing on, but playing without scanlines imo looks horrible and looks nothing like what it used too, the look as you say is too clean and in a lot of games they were drawn to take into account of scanlines and bleed, they just look wrong without it
If you dont want to pretend, then don't play emulators, it is what they do! :wink:

jimmyjimjim

Post by jimmyjimjim » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Through emulation, I've discovered many great games that I would probably never have played otherwise. But, as has already been said, the sheer quantity of games available does mean that it's all too easy to start a game, play it for five minutes, and go onto something else. When I had cartridge games as a youngster, I'd stick with the game for as long as it took until I felt I'd got my money's worth (well, my dad's money's worth) out of it, even if the game was terrible. Games through emulation lose some of their value, so they become more throwaway.

I bought a Kindle a few years ago, and as soon as I mentioned it to a friend, he offered to put onto it a few thousand books. I decided against it as I knew I'd do the same thing as through emulation. Start a book, not really get drawn in after a few pages, and go onto another.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Didn't the same thing happen as a kid, when you and mates swopped games, making up huge libraries on casettes?

You do value things more you've worked for, and get a little at a time. Old cliche but true :)

Roguelike

Post by Roguelike » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 am

The Laird wrote:
Roguelike wrote:the infinitely superior Xbox 360 controller.. So emulation wins out here.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Can I have some of what your smoking?
I am afraid I have to say that only the biggest die hard sega fanboy or seriously deluded individual would say that the Sega Saturn controller is more comfortable / better than the excellent 360 controller.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 am

Roguelike wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Roguelike wrote:the infinitely superior Xbox 360 controller.. So emulation wins out here.

I am afraid I have to say that only the biggest die hard sega fanboy or seriously deluded individual would say that the Sega Saturn controller is more comfortable / better than the excellent 360 controller.
coming from a deluded 360 lovechild

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 am

Roguelike wrote:
The Laird wrote:

I love the 360 controller and its one of my favourites, but its Dpad lets it down and for old style 2d games the saturn pad is better.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:35 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I have tried several times to get into emulation gaming, even bought a mini pc with Hdmi out and set it up with a frontend with all the emulators on, but I just get bored. I just find scrolling through the lists lacks something. I know I am essentially playing the same game but I just can't understand why I find unboxing a cartridge and popping the cartridge in a so much more satisfying experience.

I know I can get to play the Rare and the too expensive to buy games via emulation, but it just does not seem to hold my attention.

Is it just me or does anyone feel the same.
I've just sold all my retro-gear so now rely solely on emulators, and so far I'm really enjoying the experience being 100% emulator. On top of that I now have more room thanks to selling everything, and I don't miss the original consoles at all.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:04 am

Scooby1970 wrote:I've just sold all my retro-gear so now rely solely on emulators, and so far I'm really enjoying the experience being 100% emulator. On top of that I now have more room thanks to selling everything, and I don't miss the original consoles at all.
One extreme to the other! ha. People are seriously forgetting that 'it's all about the games' not how you play them, why you play them? And because we're retro gamers right? we love good games. Don't get me wrong I love my Atari ST, I'd kick the wife out of bed and put my beloved hardware there if I could! But it really is those lines of code that are the magic. Good boy Scooby have a Scooby snack.
Scott me up beamie!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:15 am

I think as a fair few of us get older, move houses or get married , get a girlfriend etc its hard to keep some retro room ! Again in an ideal world i'll have tons of consoles and that ready to set up by a tv but i simply cant. Emulation just lets me keep enjoying these old classics and thats a great thing

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:39 pm

psj3809 wrote:I think as a fair few of us get older, move houses or get married , get a girlfriend etc its hard to keep some retro room ! Again in an ideal world i'll have tons of consoles and that ready to set up by a tv but i simply cant. Emulation just lets me keep enjoying these old classics and thats a great thing
That's what happened to me. Getting married next year, and things have just had to go. As I said more room now, and still have everything in emulated form, or in HD remake form on the pS3 (such as all those lovely Sega games).

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!