Earthworm Jim

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gigifusc

Earthworm Jim

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:50 am

I know I'm going to be pretty much on my own here but I was never as enamoured by it as I was other platform games. I quite liked the main character but felt it didn't play anywhere near the levels of things like Mario, Sonic, Castle of Illusion etc.

I played the original SNES game and the N64 one. Just didn't grab me and I'm surprised by the cult following it's got.

How 'on my own' am I?
8)

Black Ridge

Re: Earthworm Jim

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 am

Its something I'd love to go back and play again. As a youngster I was never really taken by it and always preferred the likes of Mario, Sonic etc also. I remember enjoying Boogerman more and the Ren & Stimpy games, but that is going back to when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I may have a different take all of those games now.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 am

I never liked it much either, wasn't too keen on the main character or the gameplay (when compared to other games of the time).

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:23 am

Its one of those games i need to go back to and give it a bit of time. I keep hearing about an end of level boss, obviously being an end of level boss you think it'll be some fight for ages, but i heard on one level you basically move over and take the goldfish out from the bowl kinda thing and thats it ?

Some of the humor is really good in the game, just need to give it another chance. Just wish so many other 'big' names this was one i kinda always missed

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:40 am

Interesting that no-one has yet said 'You're talking bollocks! The game was brilliant!'

I want to try and give the XBLA HD version a shot to see if it plays any better.

One of the things I struggle with is that I can't read the world very clearly - what can I/can't I jump on? When can I jump? What can I reach? When will I bounce etc etc. The visual reading of a game world are super important to me and EWJ doesn't seem to do it as well as the other great games. And maybe that's the difference? Maybe that's why EWJ isn't considered a 'great' game by many but it's still a classic due to the art, characters and humour.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:35 pm

i'm another person who didn't "get it" with this game,it looked (still does) amazing and funny,i wanted it since i saw it in the mags of the time but when i got to play it i was disappointed with it.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Gigifusc wrote:Interesting that no-one has yet said 'You're talking bollocks! The game was brilliant!'
No, but it is a good game, a bit hard though

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:13 am

The version of the game I always played was the Mega Drive version as it had the extra level and was designed for the system anyway. I found the platform issue is down to having to learn the game, after a few plays you get used to the level and visual design.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Recently picked this up on the SFC for a nice price. I was never a huge fan, I found most of Shiny's games be to style over substance. However there is a decent game here. Not the high 90's scores is was getting but certainly playable and visually superb.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

dste

Post by dste » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:46 pm

I've started this a couple of times on the SNES and do want to like it but always just switch it off on the second level.

It's doesn't particularly bore me but just doesn't seem to click with me for some reason.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

jimmyjimjim

Post by jimmyjimjim » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:34 pm

I had the Mega CD game originally and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Tried it out again a few days ago and got quite frustrated with it. Unless you've got the patience to learn the game and discover its quirks and secrets, it isn't really the kind of game that you can jump into for a quick blast.

What I mostly remember Earthworm Jim for though is that it was the game that made me lose my love for video gaming. I had my Mega Drive in 1990, Mega CD in 1993 and had quite a few games for each of them. But, although I loved playing Earthworm Jim when I had it for Christmas in 1995, after I'd had my fill of it, I didn't do what I usually did. I didn't go onto another game, either a new one or back to an old one. I just stopped playing videogames for a few years. Earthworm Jim felt to me to be quite representative of the gaming era of the time; look and sound great, but kind of lacking. It came at a time when the Mega Drive was reaching the end of its lifecycle, and the Saturn and PlayStation were beginning to take over, but the games for them just didn't excite me, and a lot of the Mega Drive/Mega CD's later games were trying to be 32-Bit in style and left me feeling quite uninspired by them. So Earthworm Jim was, for me, my farewell to gaming for a while.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 am

You should have puchased Yoshi's Island on the SNES then. They certainly isn't lacking anything.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:48 am

This thread inspired me to boot it up on MAME.

While my younger self may have disagreed with me (and a few other posters in this thread) I find it a very average game. Sure it has some stunning visuals and is quite funny in places, but the actual gameplay is not all that special (for me anyway).

It/s interesting that the character had such a big following and so many fans that the main character even got it's own cartoon show. Must have been following in illustrious footsteps considering only Mario/Donkey Kong and Sonic had beforehand (or am I missing a few other videogame to cartoon characters (during that time period or before)?

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:53 am

This may be a bit unfair to all the other people who worked on the games, but I tend to think that a lot of Shiny's success came from Dave Perry's (not bandanna Dave Perry) rock star status rather than the quality of the the games themselves.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:55 am

Prof Mango B Coconut wrote:This may be a bit unfair to all the other people who worked on the games, but I tend to think that a lot of Shiny's success came from Dave Perry's (not bandanna Dave Perry) rock star status rather than the quality of the the games themselves.
I completely agree. I like their stuff but most of it is dripping in visual quality rather than great gameplay. Personally I find the SNES Aladdin game plays a lot better than the beautifully animated MD game. Capcom are just better developers.