What games have the best

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

the_hawk

Re: What games have the best

Post by the_hawk » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:34 am

The lightning storms in Microprose Soccer making the pitch all skiddy.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:12 am

The rain effects are great in Need For Speed Most Wanted. Also liked the snow in Tekken Tag Tournament, made it feel all Christmassey :wink:

Also, is it just me or do very few fighters have weather effects?

Thinking about it, I'd actually like to see more fights in the rain/snow. Especially in a Soul Calibur. How many fighting games can you think of that feature rain/snow?

Doesn't Virtua Fighter 3 have a level set in the snow?

Somebody please put up some pics/screens and I will be eternally grateful

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:30 am

DoA3 on the XBox had some great fights set in deep snow, though it wasn't actually snowing during the bouts.

For all it's cartoony look, the way the light changed as storm clouds formed up and then descended on you out at sea in Wind Waker was hugely atmospheric.

And it wasn't weather, as such, but the palette changes in Ridge Racer Revolution as the time of day advanced were quite beautiful. Similarly, Unreal on the Amiga had some great seasonal colour palettes. Though the only 16-bit 2D game I remember with decent weather effects was it raining in the first level of Agony. Leander tried similar, but it wasn't as slick.

Lotus Turbo 2 on the ST and Amiga did some very good effects with stormy weather colour palettes, and dithered cars appearing out of grey fog (before that became a standard way of hiding a shoddy draw distance in real 3D games).

Zelda: Link to the Past seemed to do a good storm in the opening stages, though the emulator I played it on didn't reproduce the layering properly so I never saw it at its best.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:19 am

Jet skiing round a stormy southern island in Wave Race blue storm was awesome
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Nice question! Because weather effects really can add to the atmosphere (obviously) and heighten emotion and immersion.

Super Cycle (C64) - scared the bejeezus out of me when that lightning hit!
Lotus (Amiga) - as OP mentioned, that was terrific, something else when I saw it at the time
Silent Hill 2 (PS1) (or probably SH11, or even a few of them) - that dense, dense fog.. oh boy
Rad Racer (arcade) - hadn't seen effects like that before in an arcade game, terrific snow/windshield action
Microprose Soccer (C64) - as mentioned above, that was fantastic! Brilliantly done, really added to the game.

fun question, I think the effects are so amazing these days we just about take them for granted, but certainly some games I think do stand out.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Ghouls'N'Ghosts have a changeable weather on one level, first lightning, second high winds(notice by the trees swaying) & thirdly heavy rain.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:51 pm

that's a brilliant one, Ghouls N Ghosts.. i'll never forget seeing it in the arcades and being transfixed at just the demo of it, the amazing weather effects.. yes definitely a great one that.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Cyclone on the Speccy. You couldn't see it, but you knew when it was around.One of the greatest Speccy games.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Microprose Soccer (C64) - as mentioned above, that was fantastic! Brilliantly done, really added to the game.
yeah, loved that one too.

just watched the Assassins Creed 3 link that was posted up and that snow looks brilliant

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Wave Race 64 had some brilliant weather effects, where changing weather conditions during a race would affect the water conditions - and that had a massive impact on your racing. (Sorry, but Wave Wace : Blue Storm wasn't anywhere near as good...)

Other games with impressive weather conditions include Majora's Mask, the various 3D GTA games and Metroid Prime.
Where logic won't work, I will

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:17 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote: Thinking about it, I'd actually like to see more fights in the rain/snow. Especially in a Soul Calibur. How many fighting games can you think of that feature rain/snow?
One of my favourite 'rain' stages is the Osaka rooftop in CvSNK2 when you fight either Akuma or Rugal. It's raining, music is minimal and you can hear the rain hitting the roof as you battle. Epic stuff.

Also, the field stage in SFA2 with the wind and lightning is bloody awesome.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:19 pm

I just remembered another one.. Personal Nightmare on the Amiga. The first adventure game I ever played that was in 'real time', and as it progressively got darker, man, the effect was amazing. It really created tension and atmosphere - walking around town at night was a truly frightening experience!

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Rain early on in Link to the Past was quite atmospheric

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 pm

I was amazed when I first clapped my eyes on the Pea Soup stage of Lotus Turbo 2. Fog! Wow! It seemed to realistic! :lol: I still love the weather effects in that game though.

Other mentions could go out to the "Hard Rain" campaign in Left 4 Dead 2, the thunderstorms in NFS 3 & the inclement weather in Wave Race Blue Storm!
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:22 pm

I was quite impressed with the weather effects in the F1 World Gran Prix games on the N64, quite realistic at the time.