Football Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

errolwd40

Football Games

Post by errolwd40 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:35 pm

I have always loved footy games, even though I don't like it in real life all that much. Looking back its remarkable that almost every console I have had owned came with one, from kick off 2 on the amiga 500, fifa soccer on the megadrive, iss on the snes, actua soccer on the saturn and even today pes and fifa series on ps3/360.

I even enjoy playing the really bad ones such as three lions and adidas power soccer on the original playstation and pele soccer on the megadrive.

I rate swos on the amiga as being the best ever, honourable mentions to iss pro evo on ps1, goal on amiga and fifa 2010 on ps3.

Anyone else have a strange love for footy games but little love for the real thing? :)

stayAwhile

Re: Football Games

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:50 pm

I love most sports more on games then in real life execpt NFL which I don't watch at all these days but yes I love footy games pes and FIFA less so then older ones my faverates are Swos football glory onside yarzee soccer Olympic soccer and pure football top down 2d and early 3d ones are the best
This guy are sick

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:59 pm

oh yes, I am in this category! I solidly *hate* soccer, and that's a fact... yet my favourite arcade game, and I mean of all-time... is Virtua Striker 2. Figure that one out! I can't myself.. and I love games of all shapes and err.. sizes.

But yes I also was a big Kick Off 2 fan, Sensible Soccer, going back to Microprose Soccer on the C64, and even International Soccer on cartridge on the C64. Loved all of them, couldn't get enough.

Yet the 'real thing' bores me to absolute tears.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:08 pm

Virtual strikers is a poor man's Iss imo but still fun
This guy are sick

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Always been a fan of football games, although have not bought fifa since '11.

My favourites are SWOS, ISS 64 (purely nostalgia), Fifa 98 RTTWC and the New Star Soccer games on the PC.

Can't recommend NSS 3 and 5 enough. its like SWOS but you only control one player (i.e. yourself) and plays like a career.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:26 pm

I love football but never bother with modern games since they're just too technical and I'm fed up with the yearly updates. Loved the origianl FIFA but it hasn't dated well, Actua Soccer and Sega Worldwide Soccer were also great, the latter for it's fast paced gameplay and rather hillarious commentary that bore little resemblance to what was actually going on

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:34 pm

stayAwhile wrote:Virtual strikers is a poor man's Iss imo but still fun
I don't think VS is a poor man's anything, I agree with NegativeCreep, new games are just too technical, VS is more arcade-y, just how I like it. Even VS3, might even be better than VS2 but I've not played that in the arcades, only on Gamecube. Actually wish I could play VS4, never had the chance to play that one dammit.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:54 pm

ncf1 wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:Virtual strikers is a poor man's Iss imo but still fun
I don't think VS is a poor man's anything, I agree with NegativeCreep, new games are just too technical, VS is more arcade-y, just how I like it. Even VS3, might even be better than VS2 but I've not played that in the arcades, only on Gamecube. Actually wish I could play VS4, never had the chance to play that one dammit.

Don't get me wrong I love vs but Iss pro had better controls

As for FIFA let's all play the turd called FIFA 64(which someone once asked me "they made FIFA in the 60's")

Is it just me or do there need to be more arcady footy games and FIFA street is better then FIFA
This guy are sick

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:32 am

I cant abide football but I downloaded the new Fifa 2014 demo and I like it :shock: I don't think the game is "like watching tv" (perhaps you need a better television) but its a decent sport title even if you loathe the sport itself.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 am

Football games have always been a big part of growing up with videogames, no better games for sitting inside on a rainy afternoon with a few friends playing winner stops on, or making a custom league or cup.

From Nintendo world cup on the NES, World Soccer on the MS to Microprose soccer on the 8bits there has always been a football game in my collection for every machine I owned.

Highlights for me are

Super soccer, ISS, and Striker on Snes

Swos, and Goal on Amiga

iss64 on N64

Pro Evo on most systems

Worldwide soccer on Saturn

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 am

I had forgotten about Virtua Stiker 2, I loved that on Dreamcast. I seem to remember a cheat code where you could turn your team into snowmen.

I also loved viva soccer on the ps one, not great by any means but you could play as almost any famous national team in history and mix and match, like brazil 1958 vs Italy 1982 etc. :wink:

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:40 am

Nothing beats FIFA 98 for me and Ultimate Soccer Manager 98-99 is the best management game!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:03 pm

I like to watch football and play the games but not follow the sport so games-wise, I lean towards more arcadey ones. My favourites from what I have played are:

Fifa International Soccer (Mega Drive + 3DO versions)
Mario Smash Football
Sensible Soccer 2006
Goalstorm
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Probably just because I'm so use it it but I really enjoy playing Fifa 2003 on gamecube, ISS 2 is a bit rubbish in a lot of ways but I enjoy that as well.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Can't be doing with anything that needs more than 2 buttons

Euro Football Champ is the best arcade footie game imho, the home market has Kick Off 2 and SWOS tied, although Emlyn Hughes on the Speccy is a thing of beauty (8bit wise)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"