Video game documentaries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kiwimike

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:40 am

ncf1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:39 pm
I think I will watch that one again - The King of Arcades, one of the best video gaming documentaries there is in my opinion. If the DVD has any good extras let me know. :wink:
Might snap that one up also.
Really, really enjoyed it, one of the better ones I've seen for a while. Plenty of bonus stuff. An hour long update of where he is now/what he's doing which includes a great tour round his work and storage warehouse- man he can talk(!) , trailors, footage from the movie premiere night (about 12-15min I think), a long interview with Eugene 'Defender' Jarvis (audio only), in the studio making the re-recording of Pac Man fever, and another audio interview with Buckner of Buckner & Garcia (Pac man fever). Oh, and Leonard 'Phoenix author' Herman in a 6min featuring a tour around his personal game collection.

I guess it depends on the person, I loved the DVD and think it's well worth it for the bonus features. I'm sure it'll be available to stream too, this new anniversary edition with the extra stuff :) One of the fastest international deliveries I've seen in a while too :lol:

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:06 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:40 am
ncf1 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:39 pm
I think I will watch that one again - The King of Arcades, one of the best video gaming documentaries there is in my opinion. If the DVD has any good extras let me know. :wink:
Might snap that one up also.
Really, really enjoyed it, one of the better ones I've seen for a while. Plenty of bonus stuff. An hour long update of where he is now/what he's doing which includes a great tour round his work and storage warehouse- man he can talk(!) , trailors, footage from the movie premiere night (about 12-15min I think), a long interview with Eugene 'Defender' Jarvis (audio only), in the studio making the re-recording of Pac Man fever, and another audio interview with Buckner of Buckner & Garcia (Pac man fever). Oh, and Leonard 'Phoenix author' Herman in a 6min featuring a tour around his personal game collection.

I guess it depends on the person, I loved the DVD and think it's well worth it for the bonus features. I'm sure it'll be available to stream too, this new anniversary edition with the extra stuff :) One of the fastest international deliveries I've seen in a while too :lol:
thanks mate, I think you've sold me on it and I may well go ahead and snap it up :wink: Yes he can sure talk cant he, a really passionate guy too, really gets in to what he does. I think if arcades were to ever resurrect he would be the man to instigate such a revolution; if he couldn't do it I don't reckon anyone could. :D

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:26 am

The Laird wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 am
Another new movie is out that focuses on the earlier years of Atari (up to the Tramiel takeover pretty much) called Easy To Learn Hard To Master: The Fate of Atari.

Although I did actually back this on Kickstarter I was bit hesitant towards it because I figured it would just be going over well-trodden ground and not offer up anything knew. Although my suspicions seemed to be true for the first half hour after that it was totally gripping. The prime reason for this is because it has the first ever interview with the highly controversial former CEO of Atari Ray Kassar and his battle of words with Nolan Bushnell (and other Atari stalwarts for that matter) becomes the key focus of the film and is absolutely fascinating. I don't want to ruin much more for those who want to watch it.

If you want a more in depth review have a look HERE
Thanks for the review, watched it over the weekend and enjoyed it(the review that is, not the documentary), as really like the sound of this docu. I guess it'll have to be download as only place I can see the DVD to purchase is Amazon Italy (With the DVD in Italian!).

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 am

just about to watch "Ecstasy Of Order - The Tetris Masters" again. I think after The King Of Kong this could be my second favourite video game documentary. Will see what I think, after I watch it again. :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 am

Theres a new one just recently come out about game collecting, and searching for retro games called 'The bits of yesterday' or something along those lines.

Not sure whether to get it, just waiting for some reviews to kick in. Can't tell from the trailer if it's something I want to keep.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 am

Not even heard of that! Doesn't sound particularly interesting though.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:04 am

kiwimike wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 am
Theres a new one just recently come out about game collecting, and searching for retro games called 'The bits of yesterday' or something along those lines.

Not sure whether to get it, just waiting for some reviews to kick in. Can't tell from the trailer if it's something I want to keep.
Not heard of this one either. Sounds interesting, I'll have to look into it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed May 16, 2018 12:32 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 am

Cheers for the heads up. I'll have a look at that one as well.
Splink!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu May 17, 2018 6:42 am

Yeah I'm not sure how I found out about it, I think it was a link on FB post or something like that. And I'm not sure what to make of it from the trailer, it didn't inspire me to race out and buy it. So more interested in seeing what others think of it.
There is a download option of course, for a cheaper version to check it out :)

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 am

Watched 4 episodes of the Video Game Years on Amazon prime yesterday, enjoyed them

they're all on youtube too
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon May 21, 2018 11:15 am

thebear wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 am
Watched 4 episodes of the Video Game Years on Amazon prime yesterday, enjoyed them

I watched all of these a while back and wasn't impressed. A lot of the "facts" are completely wrong and it's very US-focused

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 pm

I liked them. Team is a bit on the young side, so they don't quite have the perspective I'd like, but decent production values, and as ever with American game history you take it with a pinch of salt. As a simple talking heads show rather than accurate historical documentary, it works well.

Good job facts are never wrong around RG ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:29 pm

thebear wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks fella, never knew about this. Just watching/downloading now

Ta

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon May 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 pm
I liked them. Team is a bit on the young side, so they don't quite have the perspective I'd like, but decent production values, and as ever with American game history you take it with a pinch of salt. As a simple talking heads show rather than accurate historical documentary, it works well.

Good job facts are never wrong around RG ;)
There's making the odd mistake and getting things WAAAAYYY off, like they did. Simple stuff too like them thinking Atari Games & Atari Corp. were the same company, getting the release year of consoles wrong, not knowing what systems a game came out on etc. all stuff that could have been googled very easily.

I think the most annoying part for me though was the guy reminiscing and talking about memories of games that came out before he was born.

I guess if you can see through all mistakes and don't mind the US-centric angle you might get some enjoyment out of it.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon May 21, 2018 1:14 pm

they often mentioned things like Spectrum (although just in passing) and acknowledged that other countries did not have a crash in 1983

which is a lot lot more than you usually get on these things

they not meant to be in depth, they are exactly how they are presented (down to the babes bit etc) I Love the 80's but about video games
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee