Video game documentaries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
rocky1980
Posts: 3303
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:24 am
Location: Bonnie Scotland

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by rocky1980 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Looks like another one is about to launch on KS

Firing Steve Jobs



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNp9hmFRvbU
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 19, 2017 7:46 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:14 am
Another new movie is out that focuses on the earlier years of Atari (up to the Tramiel takeover pretty much) called Easy To Learn Hard To Master: The Fate of Atari.

Although I did actually back this on Kickstarter I was bit hesitant towards it because I figured it would just be going over well-trodden ground and not offer up anything knew. Although my suspicions seemed to be true for the first half hour after that it was totally gripping. The prime reason for this is because it has the first ever interview with the highly controversial former CEO of Atari Ray Kassar and his battle of words with Nolan Bushnell (and other Atari stalwarts for that matter) becomes the key focus of the film and is absolutely fascinating. I don't want to ruin much more for those who want to watch it.

If you want a more in depth review have a look HERE
This looks interesting, hadn't heard about it before :)

...Where's my bloody World 1:1 DVD with extras?! :wink:

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Here's my thoughts on the new Viva Amiga documentary film - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFVgfiGWcMo

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Anyone who wants BTB The Amiga years it's on amazon UK at a reasonable cost. 9.99 for single or 12.99 for 2DVD . I've been waiting to see this so grabbed it.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:36 am

I won't be backing this one as I have no interest in it, but 8-bit Generation's next Kickstarter has been launched - Firing Steve Jobs

User avatar
PostieDoc
Posts: 794
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:57 pm

The Laird wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:06 pm
Here's my thoughts on the new Viva Amiga documentary film - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFVgfiGWcMo
So which would you say was better, B2B Amiga Years or Viva Amiga?
I own the B2B one and enjoyed it more than you did, but then I'm an Amiga fanboy. I'm not sure if I will bother with the Viva one.
I would be interested if someone was to make a documentary just concentrating on the games. The technical side and creation of the Amiga gets covered so many times, in print not just documentaries, I really want one that just shows of the Amigas vast library.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by The Laird » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:25 am

PostieDoc wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:57 pm
The Laird wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:06 pm
Here's my thoughts on the new Viva Amiga documentary film - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFVgfiGWcMo
So which would you say was better, B2B Amiga Years or Viva Amiga?
I own the B2B one and enjoyed it more than you did, but then I'm an Amiga fanboy. I'm not sure if I will bother with the Viva one.
I would be interested if someone was to make a documentary just concentrating on the games. The technical side and creation of the Amiga gets covered so many times, in print not just documentaries, I really want one that just shows of the Amigas vast library.
B2B was the far better film. If you have seen that then there is nothing new in Viva Amiga unless you are especially interested in the modern Amiga developments and community.

User avatar
Greyfox
Posts: 1953
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:40 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by Greyfox » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:10 pm

I have to agree here Viva Amiga was so long in the coming that it simply was enveloped and surpassed by B2B Amiga years, the extras were fantastic , the film as a whole was vibrate and fresh, Viva Amiga was much more slowed down with informative stuff here and there, but ultimately missed its mark due to its long time delevopment, broken up with CGI interludes which actually carry the film in place than the people it talks too which I found very boring. In a whole it didn't cover enough content in my opinion across the Amiga scope. Sorry Zach :)

B2B:Amiga years cover a vast array of Amiga content over 3hrs with additional 3hrs unseen stuff in the SE edition, Viva Amiga is just over an Hr, cramming in as much as it can, I enjoyed the demo scene content but again fell short on not covering enough on its content, to why the decision to make it 60mins to me wasn't the best choice here.

B2B:Amiga Years SE 9/10
Viva Amiga : 6/10

The choice here is simply. Get Viva Amiga if your avid Amiga fan for the prosperity of owning an Amiga Documentary for your collection , but get B2B Amiga years SE as the must have Amiga film to have to own in your collection :)
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

User avatar
ncf1
Posts: 1247
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 am
Location: Australia

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Just watched B2B Amiga Years after seeing the glowing recommendations here, and I loved it! Those demo parties... geez.. hehe. The only issue I have with the doco is that they didn't even faintly write the names of the games they showed.. some looked fantastic and I hadn't played them before! So that was a bit annoying. Otherwise I thought it was great, the passion those Amiga guys had, just inspiring.

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:24 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 pm
Just watched B2B Amiga Years after seeing the glowing recommendations here, and I loved it! Those demo parties... geez.. hehe. The only issue I have with the doco is that they didn't even faintly write the names of the games they showed.. some looked fantastic and I hadn't played them before! So that was a bit annoying. Otherwise I thought it was great, the passion those Amiga guys had, just inspiring.
Yeah I've been waiting to pick it up on DVD when the price was right, and now amazons got it at a decent deal for both versions I grabbed the special edition.
I was a backer of the first BTB...but was put off by time it took (which they learnt a lot from clearly as the second one was quicker) and cost was really hefty. I know a small run is always going to be far more expensive than a mass produced thing, but felt a bit stung by the fact I saw it way cheaper on Amazon after I got mine. And they made a mistake and sent the Blu Ray rather than DVD. Maybe a better deal for me but I didn't have a Blu ray player! :lol: So bought a player rather than send back for replacement after waiting so long for it.

Anyway, after seeing BTB appear on Amazon at a good cost decided to wait out until Amiga years appeared there too :)

User avatar
ncf1
Posts: 1247
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 am
Location: Australia

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:40 am

kiwimike wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:24 pm
ncf1 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 pm
Just watched B2B Amiga Years after seeing the glowing recommendations here, and I loved it! Those demo parties... geez.. hehe. The only issue I have with the doco is that they didn't even faintly write the names of the games they showed.. some looked fantastic and I hadn't played them before! So that was a bit annoying. Otherwise I thought it was great, the passion those Amiga guys had, just inspiring.
Yeah I've been waiting to pick it up on DVD when the price was right, and now amazons got it at a decent deal for both versions I grabbed the special edition.
I was a backer of the first BTB...but was put off by time it took (which they learnt a lot from clearly as the second one was quicker) and cost was really hefty. I know a small run is always going to be far more expensive than a mass produced thing, but felt a bit stung by the fact I saw it way cheaper on Amazon after I got mine. And they made a mistake and sent the Blu Ray rather than DVD. Maybe a better deal for me but I didn't have a Blu ray player! :lol: So bought a player rather than send back for replacement after waiting so long for it.

Anyway, after seeing BTB appear on Amazon at a good cost decided to wait out until Amiga years appeared there too :)
Yes, its why I'm still reluctant to back KS projects because firstly I just don't have the patience at all, and also because of things like you described, I would feel the same way as you. They really should keep their word, or when they initiate a project, really make sure to give backers a better deal because damn, they have to wait for so long, put up with delays, they should be well rewarded for that!

NorthWay
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Is there anywhere you can buy the original B2B extended/blu-ray without paying just as much in postage to this remote spot of Europe?

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:53 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:21 pm
Is there anywhere you can buy the original B2B extended/blu-ray without paying just as much in postage to this remote spot of Europe?
Yep, just checked again to be sure, Amazon UK has the original B2B and Amiga years- both standard and special editions, both DVD and Blu ray, at a fair price. I paid about 3 quid or just over in postage to NZ, so Europe shouldn't be any more expensive than that :)

NorthWay
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by NorthWay » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:05 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:53 pm
Amazon UK has the original B2B and Amiga years- both standard and special editions, both DVD and Blu ray, at a fair price.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure that was not an option last time I checked - I think they only had the standard one then. Ordered.

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 am

NorthWay wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:05 pm
kiwimike wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:53 pm
Amazon UK has the original B2B and Amiga years- both standard and special editions, both DVD and Blu ray, at a fair price.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure that was not an option last time I checked - I think they only had the standard one then. Ordered.
Pleased you got it, and at a good price :)
Been watching it for a while, waiting for those Amiga years ones to appear!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests