Video game documentaries?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crotea

Video game documentaries?

Post by crotea » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Hey, a few months back I watched the King of Kong: A fistful of quarters and Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris masters and really enjoyed them! So I was wondering whether there were any other good video game documentaries out there. Post your favourite (or your own) gaming docs here! I've heard the Video Craze is also a goodun.

The Laird

Re: Video game documentaries?

Post by The Laird » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Iain Lee's Thumb Candy is rather good, especially the first half.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Tetris: From Russia with Love is a pretty good watch.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:33 pm

My fave is Game Invasion (Hosted by Tony Hawk). Available from Amazon and fairly cheap. Be warned it is from a US market point of view, which tends to bother some. But a good overview of game history.

There's a good one on Text adventures called get Lamp, and a Docu called Chasing Ghosts featuring a few King of Kong people. A prequel if you like! :wink:

Really looking forward to Bedrooms to Billions :)

Edited Add on. Sky Discovery had a good two part Docu called I, Videogame or something like that? I've wanted that on DVD for yonks, but it's easily watchable online off various places.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Here's what I own

Chasing Ghosts there's two versions cut and uncut I have the uncut version
Insert Coin about Japanese Arcades
Space Invaders Americans who's houses are filled with cabs complaining about no more room to buy more cabs
High Score guy trying to beat Missile Command high score he plays it for 48 hours solid
Arcade Attack short 20 minutes or so
Tetris the Grand Master
Tetris Ecstasy of Order
Iian Lee thumb Candy
Last edited by Shinobi on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Sorry I,video game is mainly referred to as 'Rise of the video game.' It's a five part Discovery channel docu series. Easily available online, I've always wanted the damn thing on DVD

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:59 am

The G4 Icons series is worth checking out. Most - if not all - of them are on YouTube.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:30 am

Get Lamp is interesting if you enjoyed US text adventures of the 80s

Not about games, but Micro Men is a brilliant programme about Sinclair vs Acorn.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:11 pm

This episode of Commercial Breaks is fascinating - about Imagine and Ocean, and the development of Bandersnatch which I believe we know as Brattacas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt9BsZCifgU

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:18 am

I've been looking at getting that documentary Space Invaders: In search of lost time, about the game collectors. Anyone seen it/any good?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:53 pm

kiwimike wrote:I've been looking at getting that documentary Space Invaders: In search of lost time, about the game collectors. Anyone seen it/any good?

it's not too bad, I got the special edition blu ray the other week, it's mainly just people talking about arcades and arcade machines, I've not got round to watching any of the extras yet though.
Splink!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:30 pm

felgekarp wrote:
kiwimike wrote:I've been looking at getting that documentary Space Invaders: In search of lost time, about the game collectors. Anyone seen it/any good?

it's not too bad, I got the special edition blu ray the other week, it's mainly just people talking about arcades and arcade machines, I've not got round to watching any of the extras yet though.
Did you get the Blu ray/DVD set? I was looking at that. Is the Blu Ray and DVD got the same stuff on it, or is there different footage on both? The reason I ask is I have not got a Blu ray, only a DVD player. I'd be bummed out if I couldn't watch a good chunk of it! :lol:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:47 pm

kiwimike wrote:
felgekarp wrote:

Did you get the Blu ray/DVD set? I was looking at that. Is the Blu Ray and DVD got the same stuff on it, or is there different footage on both? The reason I ask is I have not got a Blu ray, only a DVD player. I'd be bummed out if I couldn't watch a good chunk of it! :lol:

They've both got the same number of chapters and a commentary track so it looks like they're both the same, I believe all the extra stuff is stuck on the 2nd dvd you get.
Splink!

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Spencer Halpin's "Moral Kombat" is a very interesting watch and a great discussion piece about violence in video-games.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:59 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Did you get the Blu ray/DVD set? I was looking at that. Is the Blu Ray and DVD got the same stuff on it, or is there different footage on both? The reason I ask is I have not got a Blu ray, only a DVD player. I'd be bummed out if I couldn't watch a good chunk of it! :lol:[/quote]

They've both got the same number of chapters and a commentary track so it looks like they're both the same, I believe all the extra stuff is stuck on the 2nd dvd you get.[/quote]

Thanks for that. Seems kinda odd to have the DVD and Blu ray in the one pack, good to know I'm not missing anything on it by not being able to play it :)