Nintendo set to stop production of it's Wii

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DoraemonTheCat

Nintendo set to stop production of it's Wii

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:34 pm

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/co ... nd-1185560

As the article says, even at the minute the Wii is still outselling the Wii-U, which begs two questions, are the rumours true that they are doing this so they can concentrate on their next next-gen console and either way, what will happen to the under-performing Wii-U?

If we believe the rumour about a proposed next gen machine, what direction do you think they will take it? Surely after the runaway success of the Wii (launched way back in 2006), they won't try to complete with SONY's PS4 and Microsofts XboxOne, but what else can they offer in terms of uniqueness?

The much vaunted tablet-style controller for the Wii-U did not take off the way they expected it to, so what could they have left in the bag that offers a different gaming experience to the afore mentioned consoles?

What do you think the big N will do?

skylarking

Re: Nintendo set to stop production of it's Wii

Post by skylarking » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Considering that the Wii U is fully backwards compatible with the Wii, maybe they think the Wii is cannibalising the Wii U's sales? I wonder if they'll release a Wii U bundled with a Wiimote as well as the Gamepad.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 am

Farewell Nintendos last good console.

On the plus side theres lots of second hand ones

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:51 am

Strangely the link isn't working for me, but in any case it seems like a bit of a none-story to me, Nintendo are just ceasing production of an old console in a saturated market. I'm not sure why there needs to be any rumours behind it.

I think Nintendo's follow up to the Wii-U will be different, it will be quirky, it will be fun, it will be met with scorn. I don't know why they bother, if I owned Nintendo I would buy out the rest of the shareholders, and spend the rest of it's money paying Nintendo's staff to just make games for my own personal pleasure. :lol:

God bless Nintendo for trying different things and trying to make their products a bit unique, but I think the idea that gamers are frothing at the mout for new gameplay experiences is a bit of a myth. Everything Nintedo does that's a little bit different is ridiculed as a pointless gimmick, "just make a 'proper' console with a 'proper' controller," they say.

I'm sure with the PS4 and One the online experience will be even more refined, but what are those consoles doing to offer a new or different gameplay experience? Not a lot in terms of hardware, and yet gamers seem quite satisfied with that, if it aint broke... and all that. If Nintendo want to compete with a big, black boxes with beastly specs, they should just make an even bigger, blacker box with even beastlier specs, and a "proper controller".
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:58 am

So is it confirmed that Nintendo are actually replacing the Wii-U already then? I think it would be a big mistake to release new consoles in such quick succession so surely they will persevere with the Wii-U for now?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:26 am

Pulling the Wii would make sense as, with the price cut to the Wii-U, the two machines are pretty close to competing with each other. They certainly don't need another presence in the bottom end of the market when the Wii-U will likely cost half the price of the XB1 and PS4 when they launch.

I'm sure that Nintendo have been working on the successor to the Wii-U from the moment it launched too. That said, I don't see why they'd rush a new machine onto the market despite the Wii-U's poor performance so far. Nintendo have been here before, with the N64 and GameCube, yet they still saw them through the full product cycle. There's always a chance that Sony and Microsoft will slip up with their new machines; the latter arguably already has.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:29 am

Yeah, I was getting bad whiffs of early 90's Sega when they released loads of disastrous hardware in a short space of time. Obviously they were add-ons so it wasn't quite the same but still. I don't want to see Nintendo follow the same path but I'm sure they will pick themselves up soon.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:42 am

DPrinny wrote:Farewell Nintendos last good console.

Really? The Wii U is a great little console. Monster Hunter, Wind Waker HD, Zombie U, Pikmin 3, Sonic Racing Transformed, Super Mario Bros U and Nintendo Land are all great fun. It's admittedly weak in software, but its HD stuff looks much better than anything else I've seen (with the exception of Naughty Dog PS3 stuff). I guess it's got a slim list of games though, so if you're not a fan of Nintendo you're not getting much out of it. There's no denying that it's doing pretty poorly, even by GameCube standards, but it's still a great little console.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:16 am

I have been a fan of Nintendo since the Gameboy came out, but I am nowhere near tempted enough by any of it's games to get a Wii-U, trouble is for me, I had so much fun with the motion controls of the Wii, especially with a group of people, literally laughing 'til I cried stuff, that the thought of playing sat back down with the tablet just does not appeal at all, that is what made the Wii special, it was so different from the other two consoles, move was OK, Kinect IMO, absolutely awful, so most games were played sat down, in the same old staid way.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but the Wii gave me the opportunity to be a bit silly, away from the norm, some really brilliant stuff to enjoy. If I wanted to play the new Wind Waker, or New Super Mario, Zombie-U, Nintendo land etc, I would want to play them with motion controls, seems like a backwards step from the enjoyment of the Wii to me.

Yes the games look very pretty, but Nintendo really are treading old ground with some of these titles now IMO, I know someone who just tried to sell me his one, as he was sure I would be interested, he was disappointed, his kids have not touched it for weeks, but he had a real fight to keep them off their Wii, he said the kids just do not like it.

I would have loved to have seen a really powerful Wii 2 released instead of this, with ever more accurate motion controls, but without the cost of that tablet, and I would have been the first in the cue.

But thinking about it, the single most thing that has dulled my enthusiasm for Nintendo is their policy of tying games to a console not an account, if I had had to wipe all the games off my PSP Go, to transfer them over to the Vita, I would have been very upset, thankfully Sony did not force me to do that, just download them from my account, when I changed my Xbox, just transfered from the old to the new one via a cable, nice and easy, Transfer from a Nintendo console onto a new one, wipe the source machine, and if you intend to keep it, tough.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:32 am

Hopefully this'll mean a price drop for the WiiU.

They really aren't catering for the people who aren't too fond of Ninty's mascots. I loved Wind Waker but don't particularly want to pay a fortune to re-tread it & NSMB on the Wii & DS are quite enough the only thing that really entices me about for it so far is Lego City & Perhaps Sonic Racing Transformed.

I've not really been too interested in it, so I've not really found out how the tablet element works. Is it possible to play old Wii games on just the tablet? I quite like the idea of playing Sonic Colours or LOTR Lego on the tablet while the Mrs watches her soaps or whatever.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

faultygoomba

Post by faultygoomba » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:40 am

Megamixer wrote:So is it confirmed that Nintendo are actually replacing the Wii-U already then? I think it would be a big mistake to release new consoles in such quick succession
Wii U should really have been a proper tablet console. That's the trendy thing right now. If Nintendo did replace Wii U, and it failed, Nintendo would be in serious danger of going Sega's way.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:43 am

I thought they had already stopped production of them both

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:16 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

Really? The Wii U is a great little console. Monster Hunter, Wind Waker HD, Zombie U, Pikmin 3, Sonic Racing Transformed, Super Mario Bros U and Nintendo Land are all great fun. It's admittedly weak in software, but its HD stuff looks much better than anything else I've seen (with the exception of Naughty Dog PS3 stuff). I guess it's got a slim list of games though, so if you're not a fan of Nintendo you're not getting much out of it. There's no denying that it's doing pretty poorly, even by GameCube standards, but it's still a great little console.
I consider myself a Nintendo fan, but none of those games you list interest me particularly. The only 2 I would be interested in owning would be Wind Waker (a remake) and SMB U, which is a good game, but I think we've seen enough 'new' super mario for now. Pikmin is supposed to be good, but its not to everyones taste. I'm interested in trying Super Mario 3D land, and I'm looking to buy a Wii U in the future if I can get a good deal, but I'm hardly chomping at the bit.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:54 am

There's absolutely no chance nintendo will ditch the wii u. As none of the big franchises have been released and neither the PS4 or XB1 are out there's still little of any consequence to be said about the situation.

As for the wii, every man and his dog has one so it's not really suprising production has stopped.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

Really? The Wii U is a great little console.
Monster Hunter,
Wind Waker HD,
Zombie U,
Pikmin 3,
Sonic Racing Transformed,
Super Mario Bros U and
Nintendo Land are all great fun. It's admittedly weak in software, but its HD stuff looks much better than anything else I've seen (with the exception of Naughty Dog PS3 stuff). I guess it's got a slim list of games though, so if you're not a fan of Nintendo you're not getting much out of it. There's no denying that it's doing pretty poorly, even by GameCube standards, but it's still a great little console.
It has yet to show its greatness, the Jaguar has more good games than the WiiU (One for you Liard)
Monster hunter - meh its also on other machines
Wind Waker HD - Remake, MEH!
Zombie U - was promising till I played it
Pikmin 3 - never got on with the other ones
Sonic racing transformed - on other formats, the PC version is meant to be the best
Super mario brothers U - Finally dropped the "New" off the title I see

A console is built off exclusives, thats why the 360 is currently suffering and the PS4 is going to