EVENT-Video Game Market - 15/03/14 LEEDS - THIS SATURDAY!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mainvein

Re: EVENT-Video Game Market - 15/03/14 LEEDS - MASSIVE UPDAT

Post by mainvein » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:12 pm

big mean bunny wrote:okay guys, don't post here much but often read some of the stuff. I am off to this having seen it on the gamesTM forum. Will there be anyone there that offers repairs? I posted a question up last year sometime however I currently have 2 broke CD32s. Both power on but neither spin the discs and one seems to have glitches graphics. I have zero skills for any kid of electrical work and trying to follow youtube walkthroughs is just an annoying way of braking stuff for me!

there probably wont be anyone who can fix on the day but you might want to have a word with Bas (who will be on the microsprout stall, i know he will be taking his soldering iron) - he is good at fixing consoles. Are you on Amibay forum at all? His username is TheCorfiot sign up, drop him a pm and see if he can help you out - worth messaging him, he chipped my ps2 the other day too

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:18 am

I'm really tempted to go to this now. It'll give me an excuse to call and see my brother in Sheffield on the way up as well, I'm sure I could persuade him to come along despite him not being a collector in any form :lol:

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:30 pm

Is it pay on the door!

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:29 pm

I will be attending

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Yep, its pay on the door £1 per person, under 16s free

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Me and my son will be attending, my missus and daughter will be at the shops.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:26 pm

LESS THAN A WEEK TO GO!!

As well as the selling we will also be having Psychotic Psoftware's Xbox Live and PC game to play and also hoping everyone can vote for it on Steam Greenlight too :-)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Another update, 3 cabs on freeplay courtesy of the lovely chaps from Nerg

n1nty

Re: EVENT-Video Game Market - 15/03/14 LEEDS - THIS SATURDAY

Post by n1nty » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:09 am

Not long now :)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:28 am

Hope to see you all there :-)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 pm

See you there!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:04 pm

Will be there about 12. :)

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:43 am

Just come back from the event. Got there at 10am but had to queue for 45 mins to get in. It was rammed. Very difficult to move around or even spend some time at the stalls looking through boxes of games under the tables.
Got some retro themed key rings for presents and a DS for my Nephew's boy. Glad I went. The next event needs a bigger venue space please, I wouldn't mind paying a fiver for that.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:00 pm

Just got back too - great first event guys. Bet you didn't expect such a good turnout! The room hit capacity shortly after opening and when I set off at 12.00 there was a sizeable queue outside. I'll be at the next (hopefully in a bigger room) event. Price wise, pretty reasonable on the whole - there were a couple that were a bit on the high side - blue bear gaming was top dollar for not great quality. The RC guys and gunstarhero probably the best value.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:36 pm

I've just got back as well. Really great event - I think I was queueing for an hour and a half to get in after arriving from Coventry at about 10.45am.

I normally hate queuing, but as I was in a line of like-minded retro gaming types, I didn't mind at all. It was pretty cool to see the odd trickle of extremely happy people leaving the event, clutching their boxed console / computer purchases to their chests. (Although I must admit I was quite jealous of the chap I saw who'd snagged what looked like a boxed Colecovision - I think I might have treated myself to that if I'd got there earlier and the price was right).

Once inside, it was a good event, but one that would have benefited from a considerably larger venue. As has been mentioned, it would have allowed the stallholders to have laid out everything over a bit larger area (rather than half their stock on the floor), and visitors would have had a bit more room to wander around. I'm a 41 year old bloke and I felt a bit claustrophobic, so I can only imagine how it must have been for the few young children / heavily pregnant woman / girl in a wheelchair that I saw. That being said, I imagine the organisers had no idea so many people would turn up and will probably plan accordingly for the next event.

I also thought that the prices were OK in general - I was hoping for a little better from some stalls, as their 'discounted' prices seemed a bit excessive. But on the whole, I thought the event was great. I don't know about anyone else, but I got caught slipping a couple of times - saw something, looked at it, put it back 'for a few minutes' in case something even better was on the next stall, and then groaned as the very next person picked it up and bought it. Think I missed out on Vagrant Story and Dark Chronicle to name just 2 occasions where this happened. Ah well- never mind.

It's scary just how much money I could have spent today - if I could have afforded it. Looking forward to the next one already and will start saving now! ;-) It was well worth the 6 million miles of roadworks up and down the M1.

I might post my purchases on the 'What Games/Consoles have you bought' thread for the first time with details of what I bought.