When does gaming on original hardware become "inauthentic"..

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

skylarking

When does gaming on original hardware become "inauthentic"..

Post by skylarking » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:40 am

...and too close to emulation?

I was thinking about this as I have an Apple IIGS with a adaptor card that allows me to run disk images from a USB stick, rather than using real disks, and there are also adaptors that can allow the original CRT monitor to be replaced with a modern LCD display (which I don't have). In using modern technology to replace certain aspects of the original hardware, when does the experience become "inauthentic"?
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

shiftytigger

Re: When does gaming on original hardware become "inauthenti

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:59 am

I think that using something to replace the original media is becoming a necessity in some formats to bypass some of the problems of even just everyday wear and tear. I mean such as the Dreamcast. Playing games from an SD Card may seem sacrilegious but it saves precious wear on the laser. Not so sure I would bother with owning a Spectrum at all any more, even though it is the computer that started it all for me. Ten minutes of load time to crash at the end, versus emulation seems a moot point. Though those loading noises do bring it all back.

I suppose that although it may be inauthentic it is just the adaptation we habe to make to continue to enjoy the games we love.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:57 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Not so sure I would bother with owning a Spectrum at all any more, even though it is the computer that started it all for me. Ten minutes of load time to crash at the end, versus emulation seems a moot point. Though those loading noises do bring it all back.
Except you can load near instantly from a flash card these days, retaining all the authenticity of an old CRT, rubber keyboard and Competition Pro.

Personally, I find much of it to be in the controls. A USB adapter for my old Comp Pro has made Speccy emulation far more akin to the genuine article without the pain.

I've also met people who hate emulation, who inisit that while its close, there are always timing issues, display issues, something not quite right about it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:11 pm

I suppose I could use a flash card. Hadn't thought about it on a speccy. I loved my spectrum and still regularly emulate and enjoy even some of the worse sins as well as my favourites.. I think if i had spare space then I would entertain it as an option but at the moment the laptop and a control pad or keys has to suffice.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:25 pm

I either play the original games on original hardware or emulate on PC with a wired 360 controller, can't be bothered with all the flash cards/adapters etc...

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Surely the games would still be authentic though? All you're doing is changing the medium they are loaded into the original machine. Lets face it, floppy disks from 20+ years ago, and disk drives from the same era won't last forever. By playing your games from a USB stick with an adapter on the original hardware, you're saving the wear and tear on your classic computer's disk or tape unit, plus any original games you do own will last a lot longer.

I wish I had the space for an old computer, and a old TV to go with it. It's emulation all the way for me.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Imo you either play the original way with the original media or emulate, these 5 in 1 pieces of plastic serve no purpose other than trying to con people in thinking its anything other than emulation with real cartridges!

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:58 pm

When I hear about people buying, say, a PC Engine then picking up a dodgy fake Hucard with every single game ever released on it I just don't understand. Why did you buy the console if you didn't want to collect the games? All you've bought is a very expensive emulator in the shape of the original machine!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:44 am

MattyC64c wrote:Surely the games would still be authentic though? All you're doing is changing the medium they are loaded into the original machine. Lets face it, floppy disks from 20+ years ago, and disk drives from the same era won't last forever. By playing your games from a USB stick with an adapter on the original hardware, you're saving the wear and tear on your classic computer's disk or tape unit, plus any original games you do own will last a lot longer.

I wish I had the space for an old computer, and a old TV to go with it. It's emulation all the way for me.
There is still something about running games off original media though. Although I find using a USB stick much more convenient, one of the things I really miss is the sound of 5.25 inch floppies. It does help that they load much quicker on an Apple II than the Commodore 64's notoriously slow drive.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:50 am

Cant add much to the discussion, but its the first time I've seen the word "inauthentic" in a forum title, which is nice.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:24 am

I'd say it's largely psychological. If it feels authentic, then it is even if the process involves little or even none of the original hardware.

But how far do you take it?
You could say the TV you're using, the device you're listening to music on while playing, even the snacks you're sustaining yourself with during a long session - it's not like the whole experience begins and ends with how you play the game.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:34 am

I'll be interested to see (when I get it sorted) how SFIIce 'feels' on a cab via xbox emu. I'll say it always felt good playing it via PC MAME but It never felt right because it wasn't on a cabs controls. It will be tested heavily my myself (10+ playing SFIIce) and my best mate who has played it as long as me .... usually against me, so we shall see.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:42 am

killbot wrote:When I hear about people buying, say, a PC Engine then picking up a dodgy fake Hucard with every single game ever released on it I just don't understand. Why did you buy the console if you didn't want to collect the games? All you've bought is a very expensive emulator in the shape of the original machine!
Because you're playing the games on the original hardware.

Those EverDrives simply present and load up the most current ROM that you wish to play.

I feel it to be similar to emulation in terms of actually playing games but authentic in that the games are being played correctly on the original hardware.

I feel it is an authentic solution when compared to emulation.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: Personally, I find much of it to be in the controls. A USB adapter for my old Comp Pro has made Speccy emulation far more akin to the genuine article without the pain.

I've also met people who hate emulation, who inisit that while its close, there are always timing issues, display issues, something not quite right about it.
Spectrum emulation is pretty accurate. In fact, very few new titles would be developed for the machine were it not for emulation.
No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer over at https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
I am not on Twitter.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Fascinating stuff! To me anything other than the 'real thing' is inauthentic. Because as mentioned, stuff like the C64 loading screens, green phosphor of an Apple II monitor, tape deck of a Vic-20, the stereo sound that comes out of an original Amiga monitor.. this stuff you simply cannot emulate. Some things psychological, some not. I love the emulation scene, think it is magnificent what they have done, but the same experience isn't always replicated and never can be; in some cases I have enjoyed the games even more than I did on the original machines. But it all depends.

You can, for example, never ever beat the experience of playing an arcade game, live, on an arcade machine. No chance, no way. But to have MAME and be able to quickly fire up a game and at least relive it to about 80% (picking a number at random) is a most wonderful thing. And how about pinball emulation? Magnificent! Again - no chance you will beat playing on a real table. But some of the emulated tables I would say, hmmm.. give you about 75% of the entertainment you would derive off the original. Now its getting all mathematical.

So no, most of the time in my opinion you cannot beat the original experience. The time, the peripherals, the sounds, the smells, the saving up for 2 years to buy the thing, the driving to the shop, it goes on. But purely on a playing perspective, they've done an incredible job. It's not *quite* there.. for instance the Apple IIGS and Amiga emulators play almost as good but ... not quite. There's something out, perhaps the timing by a fraction. But it's damn well near good enough for me to keep from fishing the things out from the cupboard and wiring it all up again, that's for sure. 90% is good enough for me! :wink: