Modded original xbox

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ZXSabreman

Re: Modded original xbox

Post by ZXSabreman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:
ZXSabreman wrote:You won't get any HD modes with an RGB scart cable, you need a Component cable, it also needs to be set to ntsc or the HD modes do not work i wouldn't bother with the cable you have listed on ebay either. Try and track down an official Component cable from somewhere, my original modded Xbox is very temperamental with the cable quality. I have mine running via an official cable on my Sony Bravia led set to 1080i and it looks amazing.
I have a 160gig hd in mine full of Coin Ops,Snes,Pc Engine Neo Geo Capcom etc etc
thank you for confirming i need a component lead but it is annoying that they are temperamental with leads,i can't find any official ones with a search not even any completed sales to get an idea of price.i might have to take a chance on one unless someone has used a 3rd party one that works and can recommend.

possibly this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMD-Original- ... 4897.l4275
No problem mate, they look ok but from my experience of third party cables especially component ones it's very hit and miss. To be honest it's very little outlay so go for it, they may well turn out to be fine.

I have just add a quick look on Amazon, this might be a better option

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-GG00008- ... B000OF22LG
"Time fades even legend..."

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:06 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:
ZXSabreman wrote:You won't get any HD modes with an RGB scart cable, you need a Component cable, it also needs to be set to ntsc or the HD modes do not work i wouldn't bother with the cable you have listed on ebay either. Try and track down an official Component cable from somewhere, my original modded Xbox is very temperamental with the cable quality. I have mine running via an official cable on my Sony Bravia led set to 1080i and it looks amazing.
I have a 160gig hd in mine full of Coin Ops,Snes,Pc Engine Neo Geo Capcom etc etc
thank you for confirming i need a component lead but it is annoying that they are temperamental with leads,i can't find any official ones with a search not even any completed sales to get an idea of price.i might have to take a chance on one unless someone has used a 3rd party one that works and can recommend.

possibly this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KMD-Original- ... 4897.l4275
No problem mate, they look ok but from my experience of third party cables especially component ones it's very hit and miss. To be honest it's very little outlay so go for it, they may well turn out to be fine.

I have just add a quick look on Amazon, this might be a better option

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-GG00008- ... B000OF22LG
i had looked at that one,some of the negative reviews talk about build quality and bleed from poor insulation.i even found the others i listed on there and they also put me off from the reviews (the kmd one only goes to 720p).in the end i've paid the extra and just bought the one aztecca recommended,i've had dealing with monster cables before and know they are usually of an excellent build quality and well insulated.

thank you for the advice anyway and thank you aztecca for the recommendation :D
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:23 pm

koopa42 wrote:coinops is KING!
Just found that out for myself. My missus has just treated me to a soft modded xbox with 160 gig hd and Coinops 5 Sunset and Visionary 3. Visionary is great for showing off to friends, but Coinops is just blooming awesome. Think I'm gonna get an even bigger drive for my hard modded console and put this stuff on there too.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Lord Innit wrote:
koopa42 wrote:coinops is KING!
Just found that out for myself. My missus has just treated me to a soft modded xbox with 160 gig hd and Coinops 5 Sunset and Visionary 3. Visionary is great for showing off to friends, but Coinops is just blooming awesome. Think I'm gonna get an even bigger drive for my hard modded console and put this stuff on there too.
Yep, my new year plan is to get the final piece of the jigsaw ..... a jamma cab and get it put in

eRetronic

Post by eRetronic » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Do coin ops 5 and visionary share the same rom set in other words does visionary just use the Roms from the coin ops folder? Also is mame different from these. The only reason I ask is because I can't find the proper version of donkey kong on coin ops or visionary.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:49 am

eRetronic wrote:Do coin ops 5 and visionary share the same rom set in other words does visionary just use the Roms from the coin ops folder? Also is mame different from these. The only reason I ask is because I can't find the proper version of donkey kong on coin ops or visionary.
From what I can make out using the dvd2xbox file manager, the have their own roms folders.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:56 am

I fairly recently borrowed my brothers unwanted Xbox, and modded it. Its a pretty powerful emulation console, and in some aspects better than the Wii (although the Wii has its own strengths and advantages of the Xbox as well).

I only have the standard 8GB hdd in it though. The whole replacing it with a larger hard drive seems a bit daunting. I have 1GB left of room though, so although it would be nice to have the larger hdd so i could put every MAME ROM up there, i think its adequate as it is (I'm a coward!)

Beaps

Post by Beaps » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:16 am

I do have some xbox Consoles for sale if anyone is interested.

I have a Crystal Console, It has been stripped right down and cleaned throughout so it looks fantastic. Comes with Crystal controller & power/AV cord.

I was gonna keep this one buy needs must. Any questions just ask. Comes with the latest build of CoinOps 6

£60 & £9 pnp via City Link

I got another Xbox console installed with Coin Ops 6 FULL complete with 1 black controller s (controller has been replaced with one with the logo on) AV cable & power cable.

£50 & £9 pnp via City Link

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Beaps wrote:I do have some xbox Consoles for sale if anyone is interested.
You should put them on here too :D

I
I
I
I
I
V

Beaps

Post by Beaps » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:48 pm

I will register and list them there also if you like.

Just to add.

- I strip and overhall all my consoles
- I can make the console boot directly into CO6 bypassing the MS dashboard
- Provide any assistance after a sale to if people require any more help

Thanks
B

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:50 pm

I can vouch for the guy, good prices and good work. Mines stashed away awaiting a JAMMA cab 8)

edit:

http://www.rp2mp.com/forums/4/1514?p=21 ... ops#p21847

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:56 pm

I can vouch for him too, I bought one off Beaps last year, trustworthy guy.

Beaps

Post by Beaps » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Cheers guys, much appriciated