Free making of R-Type book

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

necronom

Free making of R-Type book

Post by necronom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:05 am

I've just seen this mentioned on another forum, and I don't think it's been mentioned here.

Bob Pape, who wrote R-Type for the Spectrum has made a book about it. He's released it for nothing from his site, HERE. It looks like it'll be a great read. There is a PDF of it to download, so I might try to print it on paper if I can work out how to print it properly so I can staple it together as a book.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

TMR

Re: Free making of R-Type book

Post by TMR » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:53 pm

necronom wrote:It looks like it'll be a great read.
i went through it in a single sitting on Sunday and enjoyed it immensely; there's some technical discussion but he warns readers to skip ahead if they're not interested and most of the story is about the hardships of commercial games coding and the dodgy dealings some of the development houses went through.

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:26 pm

TMR wrote:there's some technical discussion but he warns readers to skip ahead if they're not interested and most of the story is about the hardships of commercial games coding and the dodgy dealings some of the development houses went through.
I found the technical parts of it very interresting though, but the whole book is good. However, the way he - and other coders - were treated was terrible.
But as he says - "they were young, didn't know any better, and just happy to be programming for money". But no wonder that his memories aren't rose-tinted.

Too bad he won't talk to magazines. Although we now have this very comprehensive "making of" on R-Type he did make some games after that and it could be interresting to hear about them. Especially Dragon Breed - which is basically (as far as I can see) based on the R-Type code. I wonder if how much is and rewrite and how much was done from scratch...and how long it took.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

Pippy

Post by Pippy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:13 am

This was an enjoyable read and I whizzed right through it, even if the technical stuff whooshed over my head in places (though admittedly mostly where he warned it might!). Even better with a longplay of the game running on my other monitor so I could see his programming tricks in action. Makes me wish there were other books of this sort.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:50 am

It's a pity it has that 2 column layout as it is a pain to read on my kindle.

piginapoke

Post by piginapoke » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Nice one. Will b a good read
"An intruder has penetrated our forcefield"

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Read it, loved it. Even reviewed it on my site. It's got a great mix of everything, most enjoyable.

piginapoke

Post by piginapoke » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:44 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:Read it, loved it. Even reviewed it on my site. It's got a great mix of everything, most enjoyable.
Agreed. Great read so far. He is a very good writer too. Cant believe that a sleeping bag is an essential tool of the programmers trade :-)
"An intruder has penetrated our forcefield"

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 pm

It was a great read. I printed it (with a thicker card cover), and stapled it with a staple gun. Much better than the inconvenience of reading it on a screen. I let him know how much I enjoyed it through the form on his site.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:34 pm

necronom wrote:I've just seen this mentioned on another forum, and I don't think it's been mentioned here.

Bob Pape, who wrote R-Type for the Spectrum has made a book about it. He's released it for nothing from his site, HERE. It looks like it'll be a great read. There is a PDF of it to download, so I might try to print it on paper if I can work out how to print it properly so I can staple it together as a book.

Cheers for the link!! :D

Am looking forward to reading through this.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE