What game system was made for you?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re: What game system was made for you?

Post by markopoloman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Misery wrote:My PC, of course. For that price it bloody well better have been made specifically for me.

....but okay, if I had to pick a console, I'd say the original NES. It was my favorite console back then, it remains my favorite now.

And maybe the PC-Engine, though I dont actually have one yet. But I hear that it's practically made of shmups, so it sounds like something I need to have.
Stuff the consoles! Stick with the PC.

For me it is the PC (Mid to late 90's onwards) with the Amiga before that and the C64 before that. Why? Because they shat all over the competition :mrgreen: :wink:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:37 am

The speccy was made for well balanced, hetrosexual males of the sexual tyrannosaurus variety ....... hence MPM's bend towards the Comode

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:34 pm

koopa42 wrote:The speccy was made for well balanced, hetrosexual males of the sexual tyrannosaurus variety ....... hence MPM's bend towards the Comode

Do you know how many kids he's got? :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Has to be the Atari Lynx:

Lots of arcade conversions - CHECK
Puzzle games - CHECK
Beat 'em ups - CHECK
Driving games - CHECK
Hardly any RPGs, generic platformers and lame Street Fighter 2 rip offs - CHECK
Superb sound chip - CHECK
Amazing custom graphics with no flicker or slowdown - CHECK

Yep pretty much perfect for me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Definitely the PC. The one I've been using for the past 18 years weren't just made for me, they were made by me.

In terms of off the shelf hardware, it's probably the Spectrum though.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:55 am

Dreamcast - Released at the peak of my teenager years, when all my friends and my brothers friends were around my house weeknights and weekends. The console just exuded multiplayer excellence. Nearly every game we threw at it was designed with a great multiplayer mode. and a smooth multiplayer mode at that, running mostly at 60fps. For a console at that time to maintain a steady framerate in multiplayer was very tough. Dreamcast did it. Best days of my gaming life playing Powerstone, Revolt, 4 Wheel Thunder etc with my friends and family

vipp

Post by vipp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:57 am

I love the Sega Megadrive, it has everything i love from gaming, followed close with the PS3 because my model still plays PS1 and PS2. :) - The megadrive is just awsome, it plays so many games and converts to cater for 32x, cd and master system games.
Steam: Vipp1990
Steam Group: Stalking The Retro (STR) (Join the group to win FREE steam games every month!)
www.gamegavel.com/forum: Vipp

Currently Playing: Doom Collection PSN/Duke Nukem 3D PC/Petite Computer 3DS/Tetris NES/Fantastic Dizzy Megadrive.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:28 am

the ps2 for me
the library is enormous they cost next to nothing
and if all my other consoles and games were to dissapear and i woudl only be left with a ps2 i doubt id miss them much

the machine can also play ps 1 games and dvd's
whats not to like ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:29 am

Has to be either the PSP or DS for me. The ability to import games was/is very nice & I've enjoyed so many great games on both systems.

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:34 am

I think I'd have to say the PlayStation.
That was probably the last chance I had before real life kicked in and things like jobs and mortgages began to take up all of my precious time.
Fond memories of marathon sessions on the PS Final Fantasy games, Gran Turismo, GTA, Medieval... I just can't devote that kind of time to games anymore, which is a shame.

If not the PS, then I'd have to say the Speccy, which dominated my school years in the same way...
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:08 am

Well obviously I'm going to say the Speccy!

Why?

Fun!

The games were awesome, most of them are just as playable (and some of them just as hard) as they were 20, 25 or even 30 years ago!

Nostalgia is a big factor of course, but it's the games themselves that win it for me!

I love my Mega Drive, I love my original Game Boy I love my PS1 & PS2, but I will always prefer the Speccy over anything else. :D 8) :D
Press Play On Tape

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:01 pm

I'd say PS1 for me.

Great new games, and compilation packs of 80s arcaders, and the most perfect controller I'd used for me. :)

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:56 am

I miss the ST/Amiga days, it was when gaming computers started to do lots more than just play games. Then the PC was king of RPG's Dungeon crawlers and FPS's. I did love my consoles and the immediacy of the games and the great RPG's (looking at you PS1) but the real computers were made for me.
Scott me up beamie!

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:32 am

Whilst there is a place in my heart for all the systems I've ever owned I'd have to say that the Amiga was the one that was made for me. I just loved it and loved almost every game on it. To this day I don't understand why everyone in the world isn't still playing those games on an emu.
:)

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Megadrive.

I was just the right age when I got mine for Xmas 92, with enough time to let gaming consume my life outside of school.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb