5 Games that Define the Gamecube

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroBob

Re: 5 Games that Define the Gamecube

Post by RetroBob » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:11 am

Don't forget Resident Evil 4!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:32 am

Animal Crossing
Pikmin 2
Chibi-Robo!
Super Monkey Ball
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat

A great mix of playfulness, multiplayer hilarity, creativity and the fearlessness to do something completely different from whatever else was happening that I felt defined the GameCube.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:03 am

Matt_B wrote:The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
There might be some other games worth getting for it, but they'd be a good starting five. :D
Is it the version of Majora's Mask on the Collector's Edition disk that's prone to freezing? I do have it on cartridge but would rather be playing it through the Wii on my big telly. Is it better to buy it as a N64 virtual console download, or does it look much better in the Gamecube incarnation that it's worth the risk of the occasional crash?

I've played through quite a bit of Wind Waker but I came across a long boring bit to find fragments of something or other and haven't gone back to it in a long time. I'd be interested to see Gamecube Twilight Princess just for the novelty of seeing the whole game world mirrored.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:17 am

joefish wrote:
There might be some other games worth getting for it, but they'd be a good starting five. :D
Is it the version of Majora's Mask on the Collector's Edition disk that's prone to freezing? I do have it on cartridge but would rather be playing it through the Wii on my big telly. Is it better to buy it as a N64 virtual console download, or does it look much better in the Gamecube incarnation that it's worth the risk of the occasional crash?
Yes, it's the one with the wonky version of Majora's Mask. If you just want to play that game and have a Wii, you'd generally be better off with the Virtual Console version.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:36 am

1. Super Smash Bros Melee - Probably the best multi-player game on the console. A tonne of content, and great fun to be had in general.

2. Luigi's Mansion - A bit short, but don't let that put you off. Brilliant fun, and much better than its sequel in my opinion.

3. Zelda: Wind Waker - First of all, I don't really like this game. But if you're looking for games that 'define' the Gamecube then this is certainly one of them. I dislike it because of the tedious boating sections, not because of the cel shaded graphics...but it's an important game in the Zelda series and worth seeking out.

4. Chibi Robo - The Gamecube was home to a number of oddities such as Doshin the Giant and this...I'd recommend you try both, but for the sake of a list of 5 I'll settle on Chibi Robo. It's very enjoyable, and strangely emotional too. Get it.

5. Eternal Darkness - Another defining game as it marks the peak of Ninendo's campaign to attract a more mature audience. It's still the most interesting horror game I've ever played, and messes with the player just as much as the on screen character.

THEN GET...

Warioware - A great party game, and I would genuinely be surprised if even the most cynical of gamers couldn't get fun out of this.

Paper Mario - The best RPG on the system, and my favorite Nintendo RPG ever.

Animal Crossing - If you don't like the series you won't like this, but it's an important game in the Gamecube library.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:37 am

Im new to the Gamecube myself, never got one at the time but but on my list would be: Twin Snakes, Wave Race, Resi Evil remake, Luigi's Mansion and Die Hard Vendetta. The last one isn't a stunning game but for me personally? I paid £2 for it and have had a proper blast on it :D

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:05 am

Enjoying the input - good stuff - of the suggestions, I have:

Luigis Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine (free! thanks to my niece!)

And Starfox Adventures (£5)

So, I have TWO slots to fill....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:12 am

Matt_B wrote:
joefish wrote:
Yes, it's the one with the wonky version of Majora's Mask. If you just want to play that game and have a Wii, you'd generally be better off with the Virtual Console version.
I have it on the Virtual Console, and it's still crashed on me (so maybe it's just the game?), not regularly though so it's nothing game-breaking. The good thing about the VC console version is that there's nothing wrong with the music, on Gamecube version apparently there's a slight blip when the music loops, as far as I knew that was the main reason the GC disc was considered the wonky version.

I have it on the N64 too but wanted to play it with a gamecube controller, I don't like downloading virtual games but given the £20+ price tag of the Zelda disc, and the fact I already have Ocarina on Gamecube from Windwaker, I decided the £7 Wii download with the perfect music was the best option for me.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

llj

Post by llj » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 am

I believe much of the problems related to the GC version of Majora's Mask is the rumble feature. I've heard that if you turn it off, it shouldn't freeze.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:41 am

Game Cube you say?

Let's see:

Rubick's Cube
Stickle Bricks
Wooden blocks
Lego
Duplo

What?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

mr gryzor

Post by mr gryzor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Resident Evil 1 Remake - An astoundingly beautiful game.The last truly great Resi game.

Jedi Knight 2-Jedi Outcast -iirc it was also available on the original xbox,but i played it first on the Cube.Loved it!

Paper Mario - Gorgeous game.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:23 pm

RetroBob wrote:Don't forget Resident Evil 4!
i would prefer to forget resident evil 4
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 pm

My recommendations from experience:

Resident Evil 4
F-Zero GX
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Tales of Symphonia
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Notable mentions to other games I enjoyed: Bloody Roar Primal Fury, Beach Spikers, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Mario Smash Football, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II (though it's bloody hard).

Really, there are so many more I could name. Some say that the 'cube had no games or little of note but those people are wrong.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 am

Some affordable titles :wink:

Super Monkey Ball (1&2) - both extremely addictive and fun/rage inducing :twisted:
Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 CARD Revolution - a marmite game that i loved. Great grid based card battles
Lost Kingdoms - Action RPG where you summon creatures from cards to do battle for you
Tony Hawks Underground - I always felt that the gamecube controllers were perfect for the TH series. Ive heard similar things for the SSX games
Eternal Darkness - A horror game that everyone should experience

Gamecube games are rising in price considerably. Games like Fire Emblem on both Wii & Gamecube shot up in price around the launch of the 3DS game. Skies of Arcadia has never been cheap. Most Nintendo titles are all sitting around the £20 mark now too. There are still some great titles under £10 to be had though.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:11 am

Black Ridge wrote:Some affordable titles :wink:

Super Monkey Ball (1&2) - both extremely addictive and fun/rage inducing :twisted:
Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 CARD Revolution - a marmite game that i loved. Great grid based card battles
Lost Kingdoms - Action RPG where you summon creatures from cards to do battle for you
Tony Hawks Underground - I always felt that the gamecube controllers were perfect for the TH series. Ive heard similar things for the SSX games
Eternal Darkness - A horror game that everyone should experience

Gamecube games are rising in price considerably. Games like Fire Emblem on both Wii & Gamecube shot up in price around the launch of the 3DS game. Skies of Arcadia has never been cheap. Most Nintendo titles are all sitting around the £20 mark now too. There are still some great titles under £10 to be had though.
Last time I checked the going rate for Metroid Prime was around a fiver, which might be the greatest gaming bargain going such is the quality of that game.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823