Your "Go-to" game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

mr gryzor

Re: Your "Go-to" game

Post by mr gryzor » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Gryzor (Contra),Of course.
C64-Atari ST-PC Engine-Sega Megadrive-SNES-Neo Geo-Sony Playstation-N64-Dreamcast-Gamecube-XBOX-Nintendo Wii-XBOX360-XBOX ONE

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:56 pm

nokgod wrote:
SonicTheHedgehog wrote: Amazing game! Palace Midas and the Egyptian levels are i.m.o the best pieces of level design ever.
Remember climbing onto the hand of the broken statue of King Midas for the first time? That's a moment in gaming i'll never forget.
Yeah i remember doing that but seeing as i had the Saturn version it didnt wow me. I remember a year later doing it on the PS ver and being wowed at the shiny metallic effect that the Saturn version didn't have and also by the reflective save crystals compared to the Saturns solid non reflective ones. The Sega fan in me was a bit disappointed lol.

In truth though that game gave me dozens of memorable moments like that. It was the levels that mainly amazed me and coupled with the classical style music the atmosphere it created. The Lost Valley area with the Dinosaurs, Walking out and realising you are at the top of a Folley, The sheer scale of the Colosseum, the intertwining nature of Palace Midas, the horse statues coming alive at the end of Tomb Of Tihocan, how the City & Obelisk Of Khamoon were connected together, Climbing atop the Sphinx head on Sanctuary Of The Scion and the drop down into the water chamber later on. I could go on. I also really enjoyed 2 & 3 but they never quite matched the original.

It would have to be a ''Go-to'' game for me aswel only for longer periods of play. If you want a challenge try completing the game getting every pickup and secret with every kill and using only pistols throughout and WITHOUT DYING! I accomplished it a few years back but it gets very tough later on. Sanctuary Of The Scion & Natlas Mines are tough to do but Atlantis is insanely hard.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

BARK-MAN

Post by BARK-MAN » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:28 pm

cod

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:12 am

Half Life 2 or its mini-sequals, now Steam is available on Mac - I have HL2 proudly sat on my desktop. :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:22 am

Scratch_Porkings wrote:Ultrastar DX, ooh er I've never heard of that one. Downloading now for my little girls (girls = divas!)
If you rummage round t'internet there are a couple of good foreign sites for tracks for that one. Or if you can be bothered with the hassle, there's a Singstar conversion tool to rip the tracks from those (which is nice since PS2 Singstar discs are ten a penny and there's plenty of pop to appeal to young girls). I think my current setup has around 200 tracks in it!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.