Your "Go-to" game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Your "Go-to" game

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Jurassic Park builder on iOS.
Megamixer wrote:Probably GTA San Andreas. I can spend hours absorbed in just messing about and watching all manner of madness take place.
I use to agree but then I would loose entire afternoons and evenings to it so made a decision not to buy it again. I found;

if I started a new game
crossed on to the western "island" by swimming near the Mullholland (IIRC) intersection
Get an instant 4 star (again, IIRC) want level

I could then spend hours leading the fanatical police on a wild chase all over the place. The other option was repeating the vigilante missions with the Hydra helicopter gunship, listening to the in game radio or just music in general - I could do that for hours.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:19 pm

For a ten minute blast, its got to be Galaxian.

For an hour its SuperMarioland or Tetris.

For a few days its Tomb Raider.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Snake
Going Solo...................

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Advanced Wars 2/DS
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

These two are brilliant for short bursts of play and have been my ''Go-to'' games for years now.
nokgod wrote:For a few days its Tomb Raider.
The original 1996 version? If so it's nice to see it getting some love :)
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:08 pm

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:Advanced Wars 2/DS

These two are brilliant for short bursts of play and have been my ''Go-to'' games for years now.
Yup. As much as i like Anniversary, it's the original i return to. Its showing its age now but i love the way it makes my eyes water..... :lol: Best thing ever back in '96, mind!
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Bubble Bobble, ever since I bought this off Nokgod, I have played it literally everyday and that was some time back I bought it! Really helps pass my commute home (playing it on the GBA SP)
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:45 pm

nokgod wrote:

Yup. As much as i like Anniversary, it's the original i return to. Its showing its age now but i love the way it makes my eyes water..... :lol: Best thing ever back in '96, mind!
Amazing game! Palace Midas and the Egyptian levels are i.m.o the best pieces of level design ever. Anniversary had some fun moments but it was too different from the original and so many of the levels had been changed or had memorable parts from them removed plus the graphical style, controls and making normal enemies big deal boss enemies ruined it for me.

The original still looks good on PC using Glidos.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:56 pm

bensonrad wrote:Bubble Bobble, ever since I bought this off Nokgod, I have played it literally everyday and that was some time back I bought it! Really helps pass my commute home (playing it on the GBA SP)
oh yes.. geez I almost forgot, this alone used to be the one I'd first fire up, and for years.. actually about time I went a few rounds with it again..

thebear

Post by thebear » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:01 pm

quick - Geometry Wars, Galaxians, 1942, Time Pilot, Star Wars
Medium/long (work) and most played, Panzer General, Allied General and the WW1 versions through the awesome homebrew windows thing that i have totally forgot the name of (on my work pc hence most played)
Long - Usually one of my huge list of more current games that I haven't played, with the odd Morrowind, FFVII, Rome Total War and KOTOR session thrown in
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

llj

Post by llj » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:32 pm

NBA 2K6

There are so many better games out there, yes, but a nice bout of basketball is something that I'm usually always up for

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:30 am

SonicTheHedgehog wrote: Amazing game! Palace Midas and the Egyptian levels are i.m.o the best pieces of level design ever.
Remember climbing onto the hand of the broken statue of King Midas for the first time? That's a moment in gaming i'll never forget.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:00 am

nokgod wrote:

mario 64 would disagree with that :wink:
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:29 pm

I've just started a new season in Sensible Soccer on the amiga (emulator, I cant be bothered to fire up the old beauty) thats a good 'go to' game. I also play paradroid 90, ff7, and Baldurs Gate 2 on a continuous unending loop! Not every day just when the mood takes me.
Scott me up beamie!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Ridge Racer is one of mine. That first PS1 outing can be completed in about half an hour once you've mastered it.

Also Death Chase on the Speccy. Its a regular, always on any system around me. Sonic 1 has had a fair battering over the years too, though I invariably only play the Green Hill Zone before putting it down again.

Tetris pops up fairly regularly, as does Guitar Hero and Ultrastar DX. The latter is particularly easy since its a 3 minute burst and the PC under the telly is always on.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Ultrastar DX, ooh er I've never heard of that one. Downloading now for my little girls (girls = divas!)
Scott me up beamie!