Your "Go-to" game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ncf1

Your "Go-to" game

Post by ncf1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:25 pm

You're bored beyond belief and you want to play something that you know for certain will give you some enjoyment, for a proposed duration of time. And it doesn't even have to be your favourite game of all-time.

For example, if I want a quick shoot I usually gravitate towards Galaga - it never fails, I always get a quick fix out of that, that's my SHMUP drug of choice for sure.

For a longer venture, perhaps a few days, I will get out Resident Evil 4, and I will be utterly absorbed in that world - perhaps the in-laws are staying around for the weekend, if I put that on my hard drive I will barely know they are even in the house.

And for a time when I want to be a sporting champion without fail, it has to be High Heat baseball 2004. I'm not even a huge baseball fan - in fact not even a fan of baseball at all, yet I seem to be unreal at that game.

So what's your go-to game or games? And are they necessarily your favourite?

snowkatt

Re: Your "Go-to" game

Post by snowkatt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:26 pm

oblivion
vampire bloodlines
and the sims 2

and yes they are some of my favorite games
i can play those 3 for ages
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Outrun 2006
NiGHTS PS2
Two games that help me get out of that "dark mood"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Easy one this, the original version of Worms. If I can't decide what to play or am in a bad mood then Worms it is.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:40 pm

i think it would have to be Rage Racer,easy to remember tracks and a lot of fun.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

The Laird wrote:Easy one this, the original version of Worms. If I can't decide what to play or am in a bad mood then Worms it is.
You know, I don't think I've ever actually played that.. must see if I have it and give it a shot, that's one game I've heard about lots yet have never actually given a go over all these years.. so I think I shall give that game a try next. :)

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Little Big Planet 2. Just experimenting with stuff always make me smile. Or if I don't have much time, I'll try bettering my TT times in Super Mario Kart.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:58 pm

daytona usa is another one
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:15 pm

It is currently Skyrim

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Hmmm... I tend to switch the 360 on and play an arcade game. Dig Dug, Outrun, Pac-Man CE DX and similar games that don't require much energy. Similar to koops too, in the past there have been a few sandbox games that I'd go back to just for the heck of it.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Williams Pinball Classics for me. If I'm in a funk, I quite enjoy just batting a ball around a table with no particular pressure to do anything.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Burnout 3 : Takedown or Need For Speed Hot Pursuit. Perfect pick up and play. I love every minute of B3, and any of the challenges. NFS I just pick any of the Hot Pursuit races as they are good bursts for 3-5 minutes each and unlike any other racer, I always try to beat my fastest lap times.

Puzzle games it has to be Arkanoid via emulation or Puzzle Bobble, again via emulation.

If I am inclined to play for longer periods of time, it's probably going to be one of the Mass Effect games or Fallout 3.

Another game that I play for bettering high-scores is Street Fighter Alpha 3. It's by no means my go-to fighter, but now I have worked out the scoring system, it keeps me addicted. Problem is without being able to pause it, I can only play when the wife is at work/out.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:14 pm

If I fancy a bit of 'no pressure' gaming then I tend to dig out my psp and fire up one of the many compilations I own for it.

Eat your nans pants

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Atari 2600 Demon Attack on the PS2 Activision Anthology.. that compilation along with it's 80's soundtrack makes the voices go away :D

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i think it would have to be Rage Racer,easy to remember tracks and a lot of fun.
Brilliant game one of my favourites on playstation