Did you complete any arcade games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sputryk

Re: Did you complete any arcade games?

Post by Sputryk » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:53 am

Managed to do a few, some 1cc some Continued.

1cc:
Double Dragon - solo and 2-player
Golden Axe
Green Beret - reached Level 4 of second loop
Outrun
Outrun 2
New Zealand Story
Power Drift - all courses, all Gold
Xybots
Star Wars - looped numerous times
Scramble

Continued:
Space Harrier
(I'm sure there are others, but I'm having a mental block)

faultygoomba

Post by faultygoomba » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 am

I've completed tons of arcade stuff. If you have big enough pockets it's pretty straight forward. Favourites would be Time Crisis 1, F355, Daytona and Sega Rally. I don't play as much in the arcades as I used to though.

The new House of the dead (I think) kicked me off in 40sec. At £1 a go I won't be completing that...

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:51 am

I completed Paperboy and Euro Football Champ, both were hugely satisfying too!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:16 am

no never went to the arcades much
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:32 pm

hmm.. goooood question. I know I've completed some, but was never an expert and didn't actually spend as much time in arcades as I'd liked because I could never steal enough money off my parents, and actually worked most of my youth saving up for computers.

Double Dragon (but who hasn't?)
Soul Calibur (one a single coin, and first go ever.. I am guessing this is a v. easy game!)
Dead or Alive
Virtua Striker (one coin)
Virtua Striker 2 (one coin)

..and there were undoubtedly a few others, but as I said, not much time spent in arcades.Dammit.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Mootown wrote:
Wonderboy has 7 areas, each with 4 rounds, usually a ground tree/grass stage, one over water, one in caves then the boss one. However if you get every secret doll (all 28) there is a secret 8th area. Some of the dolls are hidden in enemies and all sorts!

And yeah you have to be using the cross to access the second loop. It's actually pretty good once you get used to it - stops projectiles for a start.
That is very impressive I've never saw either of those Games completed.. I remember in 1986-7 there was a guy who was on G& G every day and he could get to the two red demons every time on 2 credit never finished it.. I saw numerous people finish Kung Fu Master, Green Beret, Route 16, Shao Lins Road, Pac Land and Terra Cresta in the same arcade..

Used to play Wonderboy in Porthcawl hard to get on it as there was always girls playing it who could get really far Dragon Head Boss.. I take it not getting the Dolls you don't get the proper ending? I assume if you do get to the eight level and die you can't continue like on the other Sega games..

I vaguely remember a Grim Reaper coming out of a Egg on the Ice Stage but the egg was all rotting and your energy went down very quickly.. In Play I got to third Boss King, find losing the axe makes the levels very hard
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:48 am

Shinobi wrote:
Mootown wrote:
Wonderboy has 7 areas, each with 4 rounds, usually a ground tree/grass stage, one over water, one in caves then the boss one. However if you get every secret doll (all 28) there is a secret 8th area. Some of the dolls are hidden in enemies and all sorts!

And yeah you have to be using the cross to access the second loop. It's actually pretty good once you get used to it - stops projectiles for a start.
That is very impressive I've never saw either of those Games completed.. I remember in 1986-7 there was a guy who was on G& G every day and he could get to the two red demons every time on 2 credit never finished it.. I saw numerous people finish Kung Fu Master, Green Beret, Route 16, Shao Lins Road, Pac Land and Terra Cresta in the same arcade..

Used to play Wonderboy in Porthcawl hard to get on it as there was always girls playing it who could get really far Dragon Head Boss.. I take it not getting the Dolls you don't get the proper ending? I assume if you do get to the eight level and die you can't continue like on the other Sega games..

I vaguely remember a Grim Reaper coming out of a Egg on the Ice Stage but the egg was all rotting and your energy went down very quickly.. In Play I got to third Boss King, find losing the axe makes the levels very hard
It's funny when I hear people say how hard both G+G and Wonderboy are, but at the time it seemed normal to us to 1CC the game. Once you know the routes and positioning, in G+G you can rush through the first loop in roughly 15 minutes, Wonderboy is completely a memory test. You just need to know everything. When you know Wonderboy, you can 1CC it in a single life (sounds ridiculous, but honestly, once learnt it's not at all) The 'bad' eggs actually look a little different, so you know to avoid them. Unfortunately in some cases the doll is only revealed by almost breaking the bad egg, you just gotta know when to jump! I remember people used to have issues on the cloud/water stages when on the skateboard, but once you get the timing down it's easier on the skateboard too. Actually really want to go play it now :) Can't remember if World 8 was continuable or not..weird how you forget stuff.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:20 pm

If we're talking about in he aracdes, then I haven't completed any :oops: Once got to the final battle of Time Crisis 2 but my arms were hurting so much I had to stop

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:10 pm

double dragon is the only game I remember 1 cc'ing (regularly...super powerful elbow FTW)
does stuff like outrun, sega rally and powerdrift count? they're not exactly hard as you only have to do 5 stages (6 on powerdrift if you get all gold cups)

completed the following through shear coin dumpage, i remember these specifically because a lot of coins were used!
street smart (i put 1 coin in and it gave me 99 credits, used about 40!)
golden axe 3
the punisher
TMNT
Robocop
virtua cop 1
starblade - expensive!
spiderman
x men
and some game where the guy shouts 'my arena' and you wrestle monsters in an olde worlde setting. cost loads.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Mootown wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Mootown wrote:

It's funny when I hear people say how hard both G+G and Wonderboy are, but at the time it seemed normal to us to 1CC the game. Once you know the routes and positioning, in G+G you can rush through the first loop in roughly 15 minutes, Wonderboy is completely a memory test. You just need to know everything. When you know Wonderboy, you can 1CC it in a single life (sounds ridiculous, but honestly, once learnt it's not at all) The 'bad' eggs actually look a little different, so you know to avoid them. Unfortunately in some cases the doll is only revealed by almost breaking the bad egg, you just gotta know when to jump! I remember people used to have issues on the cloud/water stages when on the skateboard, but once you get the timing down it's easier on the skateboard too. Actually really want to go play it now :) Can't remember if World 8 was continuable or not..weird how you forget stuff.
My friend has been looking for Ghosts and Goblins replays on You Tube, he can 1cc Ghouls and GHosts buts wants to do Goblins... He couldn't find any 1cc's only from Replay Burners and they're Japanese players.. On the last level they trap those two Gorilla's (Iklatuu they call them on You Tube) in mid air also they trap Red Aremer in his window of the castle walls.. They also get Red Aremer to walk back and forth across the floor every time, the git always took flight for me.. I know buy jumping the Money Bag in the graveyard he stays on the ground and by jumping by the broken grave just after him you get you Armour back.. Same with the Ace palace after that Monk appears jump early and miss the platform a pot containing Armour falls.. On the replay they where getting the Armour and Capcom signs on most levels.. Jumping in the second level forest and falling into the pit before the dragon on the Ice Cave drops post with Capcom Signs.. I assume really knowing the Armour drops helps..

I can get to the last but 1 level on 1cc the Ice Cavern is very hard, and I'm not sure how you ground the Red Aremers(back in the 80's I say people get them in a loop on the ground).. They also froze the Dragon bosses you wouldn't have any idea how they do that?

The other thing I don't get by shouting the Graveyards a Witch comes out and turns yo into a frog! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G02NbfjxHA

The japanese replay typically I can't find
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:21 am

Shinobi wrote:My friend has been looking for Ghosts and Goblins replays on You Tube, he can 1cc Ghouls and GHosts buts wants to do Goblins... He couldn't find any 1cc's only from Replay Burners and they're Japanese players.. On the last level they trap those two Gorilla's (Iklatuu they call them on You Tube) in mid air also they trap Red Aremer in his window of the castle walls.. They also get Red Aremer to walk back and forth across the floor every time, the git always took flight for me.. I know buy jumping the Money Bag in the graveyard he stays on the ground and by jumping by the broken grave just after him you get you Armour back.. Same with the Ace palace after that Monk appears jump early and miss the platform a pot containing Armour falls.. On the replay they where getting the Armour and Capcom signs on most levels.. Jumping in the second level forest and falling into the pit before the dragon on the Ice Cave drops post with Capcom Signs.. I assume really knowing the Armour drops helps..

I can get to the last but 1 level on 1cc the Ice Cavern is very hard, and I'm not sure how you ground the Red Aremers(back in the 80's I say people get them in a loop on the ground).. They also froze the Dragon bosses you wouldn't have any idea how they do that?

The other thing I don't get by shouting the Graveyards a Witch comes out and turns yo into a frog! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G02NbfjxHA

The japanese replay typically I can't find
A few tips -

Fire faster - You know how in games like Track & Field you tap buttons fast? Imagine you're doing that, but tapping the joystick like a button - to fire fast right, tap right-right-right-right-right-right fast, at the same time as mashing the shoot button - when you're in close proximity to an enemy, you fire much faster this way. Not sure if that makes sense..

Keep Aremer on the ground - simple, don't fire. If he takes off, walk backwards until he lands then starts rushing towards you, wait until he's super close then do the above method of firing fast at him - he'll die before he hits you and won't take off. Needs to be real close though or he will take off again.

There a a number of get your armour back points in the game, you just need to know where they are

There are also a couple of places you can get crazy scores - this is hard to explain, maybe I'll video it....

The thing about trapping enemies, sometimes the fast firing method looks like they are trapped because you're hitting them so fast they don't move much...

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:27 am

1cc'd:

Sunset Riders
Euro Soccer Champ
WWF Superstars
WWF Wrestlfest
SFII, CE, SSFII, SSFIItnc, SFA, SFA2
VF, VF2
MK, MKII
Tekken, Tekken 2
Bucky O'Hare (with a mate)

Probably others

BARK-MAN

Post by BARK-MAN » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:22 pm

faultygoomba wrote:I've completed tons of arcade stuff. If you have big enough pockets it's pretty straight forward. Favourites would be Time Crisis 1, F355, Daytona and Sega Rally. I don't play as much in the arcades as I used to though.

The new House of the dead (I think) kicked me off in 40sec. At £1 a go I won't be completing that...
I Used to work in an arcade so with infinite credits we completed most of them.
Always remember accidentally powering down the arcade at the end of the night as two lads were on the verge of completing the original House of the Dead. They had put so much money in we had to turn it back on and give them free play. All the staff stood around them waiting to go home. Good times.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:22 am

Golden Axe and Double Dragon are the only ones. GA was not on 1 credit and DD was only with the constant elbowing.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:25 am

Not back in the day, but now I own several machines and have gone through numerous pcbs, I've completed a few, but when its free and in your house, its a different story really :lol:
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.