Did you complete any arcade games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MattyC64c

Did you complete any arcade games?

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:39 am

Thinking as I do about old games and the arcade machines that were at one time pretty much everywhere, it's come to me that I never completed a single arcade game back in the day.

I've completed quite a few old coin-op games using emulation, that's pretty easy, as long as you can use continues. Back when I was a pre-teen in the 80's and a young teenager in the 90's, I never ever completed an arcade game. I either didn't have the money or the attention span at the time.

So, did you complete any arcade games back in the day?
Last edited by MattyC64c on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sscott

Re: Did you complete any arcade games?

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:42 am

Never. All though most couldn't be completed of course.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:45 am

After a lot of practise (of cheap moves) at home, I completed an arcade Tekken. The ending sequence consists of a replay of your last winning attack from each of the bouts - there are none of the CGI ending movies from the home version.

A bunch of us once finished Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There are some end graphics, then it goes to the high-score table and swallows all of your remaining credits!

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:47 am

Yes. A friend and I fought our way through the entirety of Final Fight at youth club once. Love the little twist ending.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:56 am

Out Run, course C when I was 15 at a beach "arcade spot". But missed the chance to talk to the girl that was watching me :lol:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 am

Hm.... I dont think I've ever finished any of the old ones. Though alot of the "golden age" era games that I like are the sort that dont really have an ending to begin with. Kill-screens not really counting (and those often take WAY too long to get to).

There's a number of shmups that I've beaten, of the more recent-ish ones. More specifically, beaten without continuing; being into that genre, I generally dont consider a game beaten until I can do it without any continues. The original Mushihime-sama (all modes) and Giga Wing (including stage 7) are probably the most memorable for me. And the time when I was 3 damn pixels of boss health away from beating Progear, that was a rather angry night. I really must go back to that one and finish it one of these days.

There's others, but those are the ones that immediately occur to me.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14 am

The only arcades i've ever finished have been:

Outrun - Stand up machine in the backroom of a pub many moons ago
Killer Instinct - One credit, on a holiday to Pwllheli. Had quite a little crowd watching as well :lol:
Time Crisis 1 - My only other one credit game. I got too good at this once I got the Playstation version

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:17 am

Me and Mate did House Of The Dead at the Arcades, it was during a summer holiday and we had nothing better to do, cant recall spending too much money on credits.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:52 am

My mum and dad used to have a holiday chalet at Cleethorpes, so spent a lot of time in the arcades during the summer holidays, completed the following:

Aliens (Konami) - love the final fight with the power loader and Alien Queen

House of the Dead (sega) - it was a brand spanking new machine, pretty damn sure the operators had it on hardest settings, spent a week memorizing the attack patterns, took me 3 days of play to get to The Magician end boss and another 2 days to complete it. I remember it, it was 8.30pm at night, final boss The Magician, and I beat it. Had a crowd of about 8-9 people and 3 members of arcade staff stopped work to come and watch the ending where you go back through the mansion to have your girlfriend stood at the front of the house as a zombie! Pop my initials in (CLC) and spent the rest of my summer double checking no one else had clocked it. Spent around £30 to complete it over the week Lol, sad times.

Street Fighter Alpha 1 and 2 - could clock these over and over again and still play them today when I find a machine

Point Blank - love this game so much, got into an initial score war with a fellow arcade gamer at our local bowling ally. TOM to this day I never knew you, but you put up a good challenge to my CLC lol

That's about it.
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:00 am

Final Fight using lots of continues. So that's a 'no' then. I tried, and tried and tried, to complete Kung Fu Master. Loved that but could only get to the beginning of the 4th floor.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:16 am

Back in the day, I used to be able to 1cc dozens of coin-ops (off the top of my head I can think of forty or so, and there are many more).

Far too many to list, but I remember playing two player with someone on Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I was player one, and I completed it on my first life. The poor chap had to wait until I completed it in order to play! Unlike some coin-ops, it didn't alternate players after each stage. :)

I managed to 1cc Shadow Dancer which was quite an achievement, as it was much more difficult than Shinobi (even when on the 'fast bullets' setting).

I spent a lot of time in the arcades, but I never continued in games - always play from the start again. Good times.

My reflexes, etc have diminished somewhat as I've got older, but I did manage to 1cc Liquid Kids in a week or so for a league a few years ago,

I miss arcades.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 am

Goden axe. around 4 times in one night. it was left on freeplay and no-one else was on it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 am

In the arcades, me and a mate have finished between us:

Final Fight
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Simpsons
X-Men (Konami version)
Robocop
Robocop 2
Time Crisis
Prop Cycle

...although we did have to feed a fair amount of credits into them. Time Crisis and Prop Cycle didn't cost too much actually, Time Crisis you can easily do in a couple of credits if you've had enough practice on the Playstation version, and Prop Cycle's more of a test of endurance than anything else because pedalling the bike knackers you out quite a lot. :lol:
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:35 am

Is this thread meant ot be asking if you ever 1CC any arcade games? If so, only a couple

However, if that's not the case then I believe the following (if memory serves) :

Double Dragon
Robocop - The later levels are NASTY and eat credits like a mofo.
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Ninja Kids
Shadow Warriors - not 100% sure on this
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Time Crisis 2
Puzzle Bobble
Gals Panic
Aliens
Goldne Axe
Cruisin USA

Probably a few more that I don't remember.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:57 am

The following games I can finish on 1 credit as most arcade games could be finished by credit feeding (except the Sega and Techmos games that force you to learn them) no continues on the last levels

Shinobi
Final Fight
Double Dragon
Killer Instinct can 1cc with Orchid(have also finished it with Fulgore, Glacius and Cinder) Orchids very easy to do it with.. The newer versions won't let you freeze Eyedol.. The early versions you can kick the cack out of him as he stands there.> Still 1cc it with Orchid on the Cab in Barry
Time Crisis 1 - easy getting good time hard
Virtual Cop 2
Golden Axe
Shadow Warriors
Eswat
Splatterhouse
Spin Masters
Street Fighter 2 all with Chun Li
Mortal Kombat 1 Sub Zero
Mortal Kombat 2 Scorpian
World Heroes 2 with Ryoko
Fatal Fury Special with Mai.. Used to play rounds with my friend and could finish it with Mai and Lawrence Blood
Pyschio Nission Oscar
Punisher managed to 1cc it once
Area 51 whilst playing 2 players a few friends are very good on it

Could almost 1cc Cadillac's and Dinosaurs and 3 Wonders

there was also a football and you could score from the bottom of the screen every time, everybody seemed to pick Brazil not sure if they where a better team
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"