Nintendo 2DS

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Nintendo 2DS

Post by merman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:27 pm

That's not a typo, it's a new entry-level machine. But will the public understand it can still play DS and 3DS games?
Nintendo announced the 2DS today, a new entry-level handheld system. The 2DS will be available for $129.99 on October 12th (the same day as Pokemon X and Y) and features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell seen on DS and 3DS models.

The 2DS is fully compatible with all 3DS and DS games but does not include the ability to display games in 3D. It still features all the functionality of 3DS (WiFi, local multiplayer, etc.) and can be put to sleep using a slider that replicates closing the clamshell on a standard 3DS. WiFi can still be turned off, though it’s done via controls in the software rather than with a physical switch.
“Imagine a standard 3DS laid all the way flat, and with the depth slider all the way down,” Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime explained to IGN. “Everything else is there in the system.”

The 2DS will launch in red and blue models to start and will be sold alongside the standard 3DS (still available for $169.99) and 3DS XL ($199.99). It will include a 4GB SD card and uses the same power source as 3DS and DSi. It also includes two cameras on the back side, so AR games still function and players can still take 3D photos -- they simply can’t be displayed on the 2DS, but are still viewable in full 3D if transferred to 3DS. The 2DS only includes one speaker, which plays mono sound, but features full stereo via its headphone jack.

According to Fils-Aime, the idea for the 2DS came from wanting to appeal to younger consumers, as the standard 3DS is aimed at players age seven and up.
“We’re always thinking about what we can do that’s new, unique, different, and brings more people into this category that we love,” Fils-Aime said. “And so with the Nintendo 3DS, we were clear to parents that, ‘hey, we recommend that your children be seven and older to utilize this device.’ So clearly that creates an opportunity for five-year-olds, six-year-olds, that first-time handheld gaming consumer."

"We’ve always been thinking about, 'how do we approach that as one target?'" he continued. "And that certainly helped spur the idea of the Nintendo 2DS. Let’s have the consumer have access to all of these great games – Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing – but do it in a 2D capability with a device that has a dramatically lower price point. That’s just an example of how we’re always thinking about, ‘how do we get more people playing games? How do we get more people playing Nintendo games?’”
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Morkin

Re: Nintendo 2DS

Post by Morkin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:39 pm

£109.99 at GAME apparently.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Morkin wrote:Image

£109.99 at GAME apparently.
LOL How fake does that look?!?!?! but ISN'T!!!????!!!???? :lol:

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:44 pm

nintendo really has lost the censored plot now
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:48 pm

ONM's verdict...

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co. ... ate-price/
I wouldn't want to make sweeping conclusions based on a short hands-on session but I think the 2DS is going to do really well for Nintendo.

It's available at a mass market price and boasts a really pleasing design. It's the machine that will sway parents into moving on from the DS generation.

Personally, as a hardcore gamer, I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I love my 3DS XL. I love the bigger screens and the design. I will never go back to a standard 3DS. But the Red & White 2DS is something that I've convinced myself I need. I don't even known why. It just looks great and I need it in my life. Damn you Nintendo!!!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:56 pm

^ oh now there is a surprise
not a biased outlet at all

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:58 pm

This is a joke right?

First the Wii mini, now this..., cant quite understand what's going on.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:59 pm

This'll do great. A cheaper, more child-friendly 3DS that isn't going to blind anybody's kids (©The Sun) is nothing but a good thing. That it's out on the same day as the new Pokémon games is a stroke of genius. If this turns more people onto the likes of Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf then who's complaining?

Incidentally, if you are one of the folk complaining, just simmer down: it's just another option.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 pm

thats all as maybe but the design is horrible
whast wrong with the nearly 10 year old DS form factor ?
thats 2 screens exposed now
its also a lot less portable now that it looks liek a wedge
and harder to put in your pocket

and what about games that need the Ds to be closed to solve puzzles ?

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:08 pm

snowkatt wrote:thats all as maybe but the design is horrible

I don't know if the likes of Hotel Dusk are aimed at the same age group as the 2DS is, to be fair. I wouldn't have thought they even considered it.

I agree that the design is a bit mince, but knowing someone who's son has successfully snapped the hinges off of two DS Lites, I can understand why it looks like it does. It might represent a transition to Nintendo's next handheld too - it almost certainly won't be 3D, but maybe it won't be a clamshell design either? Just throwing things out there - might be utter bollocks!

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Roo wrote:
snowkatt wrote:thats all as maybe but the design is horrible

I don't know if the likes of Hotel Dusk are aimed at the same age group as the 2DS is, to be fair. I wouldn't have thought they even considered it.

I agree that the design is a bit mince, but knowing someone who's son has successfully snapped the hinges off of two DS Lites, I can understand why it looks like it does. It might represent a transition to Nintendo's next handheld too - it almost certainly won't be 3D, but maybe it won't be a clamshell design either? Just throwing things out there - might be utter bollocks!

Now it'll simply get trodden on...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Now all they have to do is lose one of the screens and they'll finally be making decent hand-helds again...

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Normally I pick up any new Ninty handheld hardware at launch, but this thing? It can wait till my wallet fills up with cash again. It's bad enough it comes out the same day as Pokemon Xand Y, but my money's going on other things in October. @_@
That's a buggery for Streetpass then (I find that my 3 3DSs pick up Streetpass better when in Stand By mode.).

And we all know the next model don't we? I'll be counting the days till they announce a 2DS XL.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 pm

And that's another thing, since there's no 2nd Circle Stick, what the hell is the Circle Pad Pro gonna look like on this thing? @_@
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:32 pm

£110 seems expensive, given the target demographic of 5-6 year olds. Is that the going rate for pressies kids that age get nowadays?
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.