Does anyone find it hard to let go of games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Does anyone find it hard to let go of games

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:45 am

I am having my twice yearly tidy up of the collection

I always find doubles of games and sell them to create funds. thats fine, but

in some case I have The UK, US, and JP versions of games ( n64 especially ) for example I have all 3 ace combat games for the PS1 on JP and Pal.

Now really I should let some of these go, but I just cant seem to do it. I look at how nice the artwork and game boxes/cases look and can never find the willpower to let them go.

same with games I dont actually like playing, if they are in good condition and look nice I end up keeping some crap games.

I really want to reduce the collection from quantity to quality but seem unable to have the willpower to do so.

anyone else have similar problems.

snowkatt

Re: Does anyone find it hard to let go of games

Post by snowkatt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 am

some times
thought its mostly nostalgia or attachment even if i know i wont play the games again for years
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:07 am

Nope.

I only sell stuff I don't want and dupes. I got rid of all my Spectrum, Game Gear and Atari 8-bit collections a few years ago and didn't find it hard at all.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:29 am

NAR M8

Games I dont want go away, games I like I keep

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:49 am

i think its different when you buy things you had before out of nostalgia and expected to be as great as you hyped them up to be.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am

It can be hard but once you get rid of a few things, it snowballs and you find yourself getting rid of loads of stuff. Now I only keep what I would definitely 100% replay and everything else goes once I've completed it or had enough of it.

I used to do the whole regional dupes thing too but now I only keep the best version of something aside from a few exceptions. Why waste space/time on duplicates when the space could be used for new games?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 pm

The Laird wrote:Nope.

I only sell stuff I don't want and dupes. I got rid of all my Spectrum, Game Gear and Atari 8-bit collections a few years ago and didn't find it hard at all.
Also "nope". I sold all my SuperNes (which I never thought I would part with), Gamecube and Xbox at the start of the year and haven't missed any of it. Though, TBH I spend probably ~80% of my time on the '360 watching DVDs...

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 pm

The Laird wrote:Nope.

Also "nope". I sold all my SuperNes (which I never thought I would part with), Gamecube and Xbox at the start of the year and haven't missed any of it. Though, TBH I spend probably ~80% of my time on the '360 watching DVDs...

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:09 pm

I used to, but i find it a lot easier these days. :)

This week i've sold a C64 with 250+ games, some PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Atari 7800, GB, GBC, GBA and GC games just to clear some space in the garage. I didn't have a moment's hesitation in doing so either.

If anything, its something of a relief.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 pm

I sold some ms stuff and was originally thought to myself 'have i done the right thing' especially as one of the games went for a lot less than a lot of other people sell it for.

but the games would have sat there doing nothing, they funded some better stuff (well one paid for the sales fees) and one of the people that bought a game off me is someone i keep in touch with and is probably going to come up north for a meet up

some stuff like trades are earmarked to go as soon as they are bought or the better copy is bought, i just make sure they go to someone cool or that i get something i really want in return, got one item on my swap pile which someone i met at a forum meet wants, he is a top bloke and will really appreciate it so to pass it on will give me pleasure

LiddlDevil

Post by LiddlDevil » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:28 pm

I find it really hard to let go of anything to be honest, games, consoles, old stuff

I'll buy something with the intention of making a few pound on it but will never end up selling it :|

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:52 pm

This year I've moved on my Jaguar, Xbox, Atari Lynx, Megadrive, Master System, Snes and Super Famicom and I've still got a bunch of stuff I want rid of, so that would be a no.
Splink!

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:59 pm

i've never sold a game so that's probably a yes for me.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:45 pm

I trade in current gen stuff quite a lot, but I'd part with my spleen before I parted with any of my stuff from when I was younger.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

James A

Post by James A » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Current gen stuff not so much although there are some games that I pick up I'm reluctant to sell or sometimes end up re buying. Older stuff if find more difficult to let go of even if I have no intention of selling it. End of the day it comes down to what my financial situation is like. I've sold stuff I've had purely for money but looking back on it I wish I hadn't