Is Online Abuse to Developers going too far?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Re: Is Online Abuse to Developers going too far?

Post by GarryG » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:40 am

Hmm, I’ve been writing some PC/XBOX games with XNA lately, and have one or two things I was going to put out there… although I’m still not sure where – and my first completed effort (Machine Runner) will probably be for free, and I fully expect it to not do very well at all. But why should I get trolled for it? It isn’t hurting anyone.

Anyway, I’m working on something that I am seriously thinking about properly releasing (One Day of Summer), but I know it definitely won’t appeal to everyone. I showed my 21 year old nephew it and he couldn’t understand why I didn’t make it into a more objects/puzzle based point-and-click adventure – and that’s coming from a young person who knows what a point-and-click adventure is. So I can only guess at what the die-hard ‘Call-Of-Duty’ player would think of it, but I’m assuming it wouldn’t be good things…

Still, I don’t know why people get upset about a game they don’t like… unless they’ve personally paid money for it that is, and I can't see the average COD player ever paying anything for any of my games.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:32 pm

The internet is a nasty place, here is one thing that seems really stupid about it, lets look at a site like youtube, ask yourself why is there a dislike button and why are many of the comments so negative? Seriously thing about it, it's youtube, you are getting those videos for free and you don't have to watch them, I can't remember the last time I disliked a youtube video (actually I do I was one of the people who trolled the star wars episode one kiddie trailer video).

Point is people seem to get off on controversy or something, like that tropes vs women in video games thing, the majority of people who have seen those video and are talking about them are people who disagree with or hate the videos.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Starlight wrote:I've been reading articles on Phil Fish and the Bioware CEO (?) lately, how they've left the Gaming Industry due to the abuse they got over their games.

Personally, I believe it's going too far, simply because people in general don't deserve abuse if they change something in their game, or perhaps released a dud.

When it comes to bad game, we have the decision to boycott bad games and go after those who make good games. That's how business works, but abusing a developer who may have got something wrong (or perhaps gets trolled for fun, like Kamiya, is just wrong. Let the guys do their job and decide for yourself if their game doesn't deserve the sales.

What do you guys think?
Completely agree with you. You can send in polite constructive criticism, abuse and especially personal abuse is way OTT and unnecessary. Says more about the abuser than the abusee :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:54 pm

killbot wrote:Unfortunately gaming - as a hobby which attracts a disproportionate number of socially awkward adolescent males - will always have this ugly side. All the internet does is allow the minority of idiots a public platform. In my day we moaned about crap games in the playground, now you can abuse the developers directly.
To a degree I agree, but IMO it's a sad reflection on society in general. The abuse sports teams get for losing, movie makers get for changes in book to movie and the like get...even politicians who I'm not a fan of do not deserve absolute personal abuse.
I guess you can twist it in some cases though- where maybe a person has received criticism from a fan and is precious, and perceives it as abuse. A good example of that is Billy Corgan when Smashing Pumpkins released their Adore album...a different style to their usual hard rock, didn't sell well, fans didn't like it as much as their usual stuff...poor old Bill went ballistic. Added footnote I liked Adore :lol: Artist type people can get a bit precious, I know I do if someone gives me criticism over my art- unless I'm being told how awesome I am all the time I get a bit sensitive! :lol:
But that is the exception not the rule of course. People are just so quick to be spoilt brats these days...if something doesn't suit them specifically, they have wee tantrums, and a subsection of that group will follow that with abuse, especially with the convenience of being unnamed on the net nowadays.
IMO, if you want to write something to someone as a complaint- and I have written to a couple of MPs on occasion- Have the balls to put your name and give them the right of reply.

Apparently our Lotto HQ in NZ gets abusive letters weekly from people who haven't won :lol:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:04 pm

I've been giving this thread a lot of thought, maybe too much thought but I have drawn some conclusions of my own.

I started playing computer games in 1989, and the computer we had cost £2000, thats the equivalent of £4500 now apparently, games were hideously expensive, I could root out some info from that period that puts them about £30-40 each, thats the equivalent of £85 now. If you had a £4500 computer you had just bought and wanted a new £85 game which couldnt be sold on second hand, traded in etc (well I don't think you could, I was only 8 at the time) etc, any purchase would be a hugely considered one. You would be on the net, joining forums, learning all about it before you parted with your £85. Remember how magazine reviews could make or break a game? well we didnt have the internet to guide us did we?

Anyway fast forward to the gaming era of the early 90s, and I'll focus on two systems I have, the master system and the mega drive, I have information that ms games along with older md ones were £30 (£54 in todays money) and new ones were £40 (£72 in todays money), again huge sums of money, especially if you were young, hot topics were are games companies greedy for charging so much, where is our money going? again magazine reviews made or broke games. I remember we had to write at school a persuasive argument about a subject close to our hearts, I wrote about how high games prices would lead to the demise of the games industry as people were forced to choose one game over another, rather than setting cart prices at a maximum of £20 and make profits by volume of sales. I must only have been about 12 which would put it at about 1993.

If you were unsure of a game,you rented it, or borrowed it off your friend or read a review, and if you didnt like it you could write in to a magazine that raved about it and slate them for being so naive and criticise the game for being generally awful, the developers would no doubt read the magazine and probably go and cry into their mug of maxwell house (other coffee brands are available) I am sure there were plenty of letters in to developers at the time as well asking them to take their terrible control systems, lack of replayability or just generally shoddy level design and forceably incert it into their rectal regions, probably from 14 year olds that had spent weeks of paper round wages on some new trendy game that turned out to be terrible.

Fast forward to the modern era of the last 10 years, video game rental has all but gone down the pan totally, magazines (apart from rg of course) are a waste of time, gone are the days of massive issues with comprehensive review archives that could be referred back to, now its all multimedia previews and playable demos. If a game looks ok then its time to jump online and read about it, with our shorter attention spans and games costing less in real terms we are more impulsive to try out new titles, but we still want our moneys worth, if we dont like it, what do we do? go on facebook, twitter etc, rather than writing in to a magazine to tell maybe 40000 others what a stinking pile of dog mess a game is, we can tell the same numbers in 160 characters or less if we have the desire to. online abuse through social media is the same as the crayon scribblings of an immature teen posted off to game company towers, just this time it doesnt need a 20p stamp and a 3 day delay to get to where its going.

I think every era had its awful games- i loathe ski air mix for the ps1 and shadow dancer for the ms in equal measure believe me, but its a fact that wont change, there will always be criticism, only now its not the industry itself speaking out but the customers, personally though I think we can draw a lot of similarities to the trends of the past

Balders

Post by Balders » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:50 pm

Fish largely brought it upon himself.

Wanting to be treated like a princess while being bluntly caustic when criticising others is a classic recipe for tantrums and tears.

In other words, don't give it if you can't take it.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:41 pm

I had never heard of phil fish before all this, and from what i researched, dont like him

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:21 am

Balders wrote:Fish largely brought it upon himself.

Wanting to be treated like a princess while being bluntly caustic when criticising others is a classic recipe for tantrums and tears.

In other words, don't give it if you can't take it.
Yep.

He's one of those artsy/prissy/snobby types, and that's not the sort of thing I usually say about anyone, as I'm not the sort to say such things in general. But that guy kinda earns those titles.

The derpy part is, his now-canceled sequel probably would have sold very darned well if he'd, you know, worked on it and brought it out instead of acting like a damn baby.

Even if he later does a 180 on this though, he'll have lost potential customers just due to the way he's acting. Bloody stupid act on his part, really.