Atari ST and Amiga Free games with magazines

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Scratch_Porkings

Atari ST and Amiga Free games with magazines

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:35 am

Who remembers when Atari ST and Amiga were Banned from giving away older games with magazines? It was super cool i got Interphase and Resolution 101 for free and then it was banned! They said it would damage the games industry releasing games for free... so what about 'Games with Gold'??? i got Crackdown last week for free from Xbox live then some zombie game this week! actually should I bring this up? I like free games! lol
Scott me up beamie!

Antiriad2097

Re: Atari ST and Amiga Free games with magazines

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 am

I remember that. I don't think it was banned as such (as in it wasn't illegal), there was some sort of industry agreement to try and boost sales. Still, we did ok with public domain games and demos after that.

Much more significant were the 8 bits, where you'd get Speccy and C64 cassettes crammed with full games as each mag tried to outdo the others. Didn't much bother me at the time as I had a huge stash of C90s with them on already.

I gather the 'ban' was lifted some years ago when it didn't make any significant difference (or things just moved on and it was forgotten about).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:59 am

C90's ha! i remember 'backing up' on them lol. There only gonna release non selling games I supose, I dont think we're gonna see any classics.
Scott me up beamie!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am

that is because you pay for the privellege ( xbox live gold playstation plus )
and they are mostly old titles

both are still great deals though
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:22 am

Didn't Retro Gamer give away some games a few years ago? I think we need to report them to the authorities.
Scott me up beamie!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah, I do remember Amiga Power and Amiga Format giving a few away. I particularly remember Archipelagos - it was sort of a variation on The Sentinel being given away by Amiga Format.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Retro Gamer magazine coverdiscs had some great stuff on them. Some was utter tripe too but all the discs were worth a butchers. Makes me want to dig through them again. Wonder if I could get all the content o a flash drive or two. Hmmm..

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Jeez, remember when CU Amiga(I think???) gave away Zombi as a covermount - being a 70s Dawn Of The Dead obsessive, it ended up being my most-played Amiga game, despite it being pretty much the same as the Speccy version!

I used to love it when you'd get free games from big software houses, titles that weren't quite polished enough for retail, remember a pretty cool Amiga X-Out type shooter on a covermount but forgotten the name, possibly a Ubisoft cast-off???

Also had this mag that was like £4.99, more like a pamphlet, actually, and I think it came with both e Amiga and ST versions of Star Wars arcade by the Factor 5 German bloke, it was a disappointing fiver cos it didn't play quite the same, despite being very smooth...though time could be playing tricks, just remember not enjoying it that much!

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 pm

snowkatt wrote:that is because you pay for the privellege ( xbox live gold playstation plus )
and they are mostly old titles

both are still great deals though
Although PS+ is by far the better of the two, so far Games with Gold has offered me two games I've already owned for a few years and two I'm not too fussed about, whereas PS+ has been mostly excellent and the only game I'd already got was Arkham City.. TBH I reckon games with gold is pretty much a insult to gold members.. "here's some old games you most likely already own to make up for the fact you have to pay us to enable your net connection fully"

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:59 pm

I remember getting a game called Gravity with CU Amiga. Great, but there were no instructions printed and without them it was completely incomprehensible.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Yeah, I do remember Amiga Power and Amiga Format giving a few away. I particularly remember Archipelagos - it was sort of a variation on The Sentinel being given away by Amiga Format.
I recently downloaded Archipelagos for android, its an ok conversion. I remeber that magazine that was like a panphlet! what was that called? I got some pretty good games on that.
Scott me up beamie!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Wish I could recall the name but only remember the SW issue and the License To Kill issue cos they're the only two I got, something at the back of my mind seems to recall maybe Fernandez Must Die being one too??? Could be VERY wrong here, maybe I'm confusing that with a C64 covermount...!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:00 pm

I remember Fernandez must Die on that panphet thing!! we must find out the name of that mag. I got a spaceship game aswell where you could walk around your spaceship and get up to spacey stuff. I'd never have bought it but i enjoyed it, I must go through my old disks that might be a forgotten classic!
Scott me up beamie!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:I remeber that magazine that was like a panphlet! what was that called?
Going a step further, we also had entirely tape based mags like 16/48 - they came stuck to a piece of card just so it looked like a mag on the newsagent's shelf. Great at the time as you'd get proper screenshots on the system so you could see exactly what the games looked like in the reviews, no squinting at dodgy photos. My overriding memory of 16/48 is playing The Long Way Home every month. Pretty good value at the time, though most of the games were nowhere near commercial standards.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:08 pm

I remember STAMpede magazine always gave away one or two free games each issue. It was a shame it folded after so few issues but I guess it wasn't surprising. I asked Santa for a subscription to it for Christmas and it folded that very month!