Elser Scrolls Online Subscription Based

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SoupDragon

Elser Scrolls Online Subscription Based

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Zenimax have announced that Elder Scrolls Online will be pay-to-play and subscription based, with the first 30 days free. Afterwards you will need to pay a monthly fee of $14.99/€12.99/£8.99. Fancy it? :?

Misery

Re: Elser Scrolls Online Subscription Based

Post by Misery » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:23 am

They'll end up in an F2P arrangement soon enough. The game simply wont survive otherwise.

I think the real question is.... will the game even be worth it? Alot of what makes the ES games what they are simply does not translate very well to MMO type gameplay.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:02 am

Subscription kills it for me because I don't game that way... I'll cane a gdme for a bit, break, then go back...

As you say misery, without f2p it won't survive sadly
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:05 am

Nope. Guild Wars will do me fine.

They think just because of the name, they think that will carry the game alone. Don't think so

Look at Star Trek Online. If anything, that would have been a shoe in success, even on subcription model but not even STO could survive. People are broke, Bathesda, get with the times. subcription MMO's are soo 2000

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:29 am

If it is basically TES games online? Shut up and take my money. If it's the same crap as WoW/Guild Wars etc? Just shut up.

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 am

koopa42 wrote:If it is basically TES games online? Shut up and take my money. If it's the same crap as WoW/Guild Wars etc? Just shut up.

Almost guaranteed to be the second one.

What little I *have* heard about it sounds pretty far-flung from what the Eldar Scrolls games really play like. From what I've seen of it they seem to be going with the idea that it's got the name and license and is in the same "universe" or whatever, so it'll sell.

Wont know for sure though till it shows up. I'll probably enter the beta myself one way or another in order to try it out, whenever that's possible to do. Havent actually checked on that yet.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:27 am

I am disappoint. I had heard they were going to make it bang on like the TES games but with co-op?

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:19 am

MMORPGs are a dubious prospect at the best of times and while as a fan of Euler Scrolls I saw potential this is a deal breaker. Hopefully it will go F2P and by then we'll know more about it. I hope it draws more from its own series than other online games.

vipp

Post by vipp » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:05 am

I was looking forward to this as an ES fan however i have never payed to play a game except for the payment for the disc of course... i might be a little too old to understand what the fun is in games that require you to off load a bunch of cash to progress.
Steam: Vipp1990
Steam Group: Stalking The Retro (STR) (Join the group to win FREE steam games every month!)
www.gamegavel.com/forum: Vipp

Currently Playing: Doom Collection PSN/Duke Nukem 3D PC/Petite Computer 3DS/Tetris NES/Fantastic Dizzy Megadrive.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:28 am

All about what they do with it really. If its an open world multi-player version of the offline games with access to the whole of Tamriel with regular content updates, missions etc then I'm happy to sub as I love TES games they've done so far.
If its World of Warcraft in Tamriel then I'll just wait for TES 6.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:45 am

FatTrucker wrote:If its World of Warcraft in Tamriel then I'll just wait for TES 6.
This is fact of the day

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:19 am

koopa42 wrote:I am disappoint. I had heard they were going to make it bang on like the TES games but with co-op?

That's the impression i have too

It's less WoW and more like a normal Elder Scrolls game with a big co-op mode
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:52 pm

I will say that the beta for the game isnt looking too hot. Not if the application process is anything to go by, anyway.

I've done *alot* of betas and alphas, far too many to count, and one thing I've noticed is that the way they handle the application process can sometimes tell you a bit about how things might be once the game gets going (and also can tell you a bit about how buggy it might be...) This is one of those betas where you cant just jump in (at least not yet), but must do an "application". That's fine, normally. Typically with these they'll ask you about your computer specs, and what other MMOs (or whatever) you've played, which other betas have you been in, yada yada, stuff like that.

What did this one ask?

1. What's your name?

2. What's your e-mail?

3. What's your country and date of birth?

4. Will you let us send you Bethesda and Eldar Scrolls related "news" (read: ads)?

5. There is no 5.

And that's it.

Hopefully that doesnt mean TOO much, but it doesnt exactly fill me with hope here.

Wont know too much though without playing it.