What games got you hyped up?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mancman

What games got you hyped up?

Post by Mancman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:18 pm

I have to admit to getting rather excited over the imminent release of GTA V, although its been quite a while since a new release has caught my interest. With that in mind I started thinking about my younger days and games that got me excited.

A good memory for me was Robo-cop on the CPC. Back then, there was no Internet so we would relish every bit of info from magazines. I was truly excited and I ordered it via mail order, however when it arrived the tape failed to load. I can't tell you how upset I was, I'm sure there were tears.

Secret of Mana was another and man, did that game not disappoint. Then there was Vice City and I was so hyped for that game it went off the scale, loving all things 80's I lapped up every bit. Not been back to it since, tempted with the iPhone version but I don't want my memories spoiled.

Anyway roll on September 17th!!!!

Mootown

Re: What games got you hyped up?

Post by Mootown » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Streetfighter 2 on SNES and then StreetFighter IV when it first came out. 2 games I really, really, wanted.
Also Thunderforce VI, but that ended up being a bit cack.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Ocarina of Time. Hyped beyond belief, but matched expectations.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Resident Evil 2 and Metal Gear Solid on PS1, probably due to much delay (in PAL areas, for MGS especially).

MGS was the game that made me decide to get my PS1 'chipped.' After waiting for months, having had the game preordered and it had been out in NTSC areas for several months, I got the message from the game store that the game had been delayed AGAIN, and would be another 4-5 months before release. I cancelled my order, Phoned a guy from a trade paper that did chipping of PS1s...and was playing MGS that night :) And Parasite Eve (which never even got released here in the end).

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Mancman wrote:
A good memory for me was Robo-cop on the CPC. Back then, there was no Internet so we would relish every bit of info from magazines. I was truly excited and I ordered it via mail order, however when it arrived the tape failed to load. I can't tell you how upset I was, I'm sure there were tears.
My folks preordered this for me from our local computer shop and it was my first "big box" game. I refused the offer of "do you want a bag" so I could carry it round the supermarket after and everyone could see it.

I remember buying the WWF magazine every month and the first time I saw the advert for Superstars on the Game Boy which was basically the Ultimate Warrior holding a Game Boy and a few screenshots and I became obsessed with getting it and fantasised about getting it. A few months later I'd saved up enough and picked it up.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:17 pm

Let me see . . . .

Robocop - Spectrum
Pit-Fighter - Atari Lynx
Alien Vs. Predator - Jaguar
Streets Of Rage 2 - Mega Drive
Sega Ages - Saturn
Final Fight - ST
WWE '13 - Wii

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 pm

The last games I got "hyped" over were Thief 3, Doom 3 and Deus Ex 2. I eventually hated them all....

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:08 pm

WWF Wrestlemania 2000
WWF No Mercy
Super Mario Sunshine
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Those are some games off the top of my head that I remember really looking forward to, and bought at or around launch, can't say I was disapointed by any of them. :D
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Scooby Doo on the Speccy. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Secret of Vulcan Fury for the PC; sadly to never see the light of day.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:46 pm

thinking back, it was mostly sequels for me, games where I had loved the original and was hyped when I saw the previews of the sequel.

Target Renegade
Last Ninja 2
Kick Off 2
Frontier
Barbarian 2
Monkey Island 2

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:04 pm

I was far too excited about Super Smash Bros Brawl back when the developers updated the SSB wesbite daily with new info. I think I even dreamt about it one of the nights right before it's release. That was the last time I was really unbearably hyped up over a game though.

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:17 pm

I got pretty hyped up for Ridge Racer 4 on the ps1 and Soul Calibur on Dreamcast.

Thankfully both were worth the anticipation.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:01 am

kiwimike wrote:
MGS was the game that made me decide to get my PS1 'chipped.' After waiting for months, having had the game preordered and it had been out in NTSC areas for several months, I got the message from the game store that the game had been delayed AGAIN, and would be another 4-5 months before release. I cancelled my order, Phoned a guy from a trade paper that did chipping of PS1s...and was playing MGS that night :) And Parasite Eve (which never even got released here in the end).

Lol, I had a similar story with MGS. My PS1 was also 'chipped' and as I couldn't wait for the European release I bought the jap version. Of course it wasn't long before I got stuck and had no idea what to do next seeing as my Japanese is a little rusty. Back then we had no Internet so looking for a guide was fruitless. In my desperation I rang up a Playstaion helpline at a cost of about two quid per minute. Buggers refused to help me as the game had not been officially released.

They even admitted they knew how to help me but there hands were tied. I remember pleading with them, oh the shame :roll:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:14 am

Nice topic ! I used to get hyped up by tons of games....

Jet Set Willy 2 - Very excited by this, then so badly disappointed
Superbowl - Big american footy game on the Speccy, waited ages, came out, bug ridden and dire. Didnt feel guilty copying Ocean games after wasting weeks of pocket money on this one. Terrible game
Super Mario Land 2 - Gameboy - Very good game, preferred the older graphics of the original but still very good.
Madden - Being an american footy fan i couldnt wait for the yearly release of this, each one with new rosters/features etc
Half Life 2 - Didnt disappoint at all, loved it
Doom 3 - Hmmm, was very spooky and lots of 'jump out' moments but just disappointed after so many great previous games
Ikari Warriors - Speccy - After getting the one level demo on a covertape i had to wait ages for this, loved that demo, played that tons, was so excited when the full version came out
Bomb Jack II - Elite - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! LOVED the original, thought the screenshot for the new game looked a bit odd and yeah it was dire

On the Speccy i used to love seeing the 'coming soon' feature in Crash, practically was dribbling over seeing some of those games coming out soon. Hardly got any demos back in those days, no youtube footage, just one grainey black and white picture for you to get excited about for weeks on end !

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 am

As much as I enjoy current gen games, I just don't feel the excitement anymore. Age I guess :oops: The last one for me was Hitman: Blood Money. Before that House Of The Dead 2 on Dreamcast.