Any love for the isometric style game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Re: Any love for the isometric style game?

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:30 pm

markopoloman wrote:The C64 wasn't exactly overrun with isometric games. But assuming the Ultimate games count:

Loved -

Ultimate - Entombed, Staff of Karnath, Blackwyche.
Chimera, Inside Outing and Vendetta.

AND ALL the LAST NINJA games :D

Don't forget the side-scrolling section of Raid over Moscow which was pretty cool.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Regarding Power Drive - technically it's using a form of oblique projection.

Fair enough someone calling it isometric, as isometric and oblique look quite similar depending on the angle of the parallel lines, which can vary according to the orientation of objects on the ground plane (eg. as the car turns in Power Drive).

But it's nuts that some here have claimed that it's just top down, or that the backgrounds are top down.

This is top down...
ImageImage

This is not.
ImageImage

If it was top down, you wouldn't be able to see the sides of the trees, fences, barriers, etc. Unless you think they were all planted or constructed and some crazy angle to the ground.
The Laird wrote:Powerdrive is not isometric it's top down.
Come on... if you're going to be a pedant, then at least be correct. :P

Speaking of isometric racers... I have a soft spot for the World Rally games.
Image Image

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:40 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed

Batman ,
EFTPOTRM (Would love a re-release or slightly polished makeover of this)
Head over Heels,
Movie (still no idea what I was doing)
Equinox / Solstice
Isometric dungeon crawler possibly on one of the the capcom collections - its too late for me to be trying to remember.
Crusader No Remorse.

Never really got into Last Ninja - though I always feel I missed an important detail when I tried playing them.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Damn there's some great memories in this topic! I'd add Highway encounter to the list of faves :)

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 pm

I used to have fun just skating around the starting location in 720º.

Racing Destruction Set seemed pretty fun at the time too... slow loading aside.

Trying to think of the most recently released isometric game I've played. Probably Bastion.

@gman72, the iso burglar game with little isometric rats sounds like Inside Outing, aka Raffles.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Get_in_Gear wrote:Many an hour spent on Batman and Head Over Heels on the Speccy. MOVIE was great, and in a similar vein - Shadowrun on the SNES.
Escape From The Planet of the Robot Monsters?
And what about Phantom Club - I think it was universally panned, but I always kinda liked it.

More recently, games like the GBA incarnation of the Lego Star wars games spring to mind - they were quite enjoyable...

Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters!
What a great game that was, especially in co-op. Also Populous and Powermonger.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 am

I was wondering if Desert Strike, Jungle Strike & Soviet Strike count as isometric style games?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:34 am

resident paul wrote:I was wondering if Desert Strike, Jungle Strike & Soviet Strike count as isometric style games?
I think they are. The landscape is viewed isometrically if I remember rightly and it certainly isn't top down. It's probably another of of 'those' games since it's laid out isometrically but the chopper moves about quite freely, almost in a 3D fashion. I'm calling them as isometric anyway (and bloody great games too!) :P
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:46 am

markopoloman wrote:The C64 wasn't exactly overrun with isometric games. But assuming the Ultimate games count:
Wasn't that something to do with the resolution, which caused problems for developers?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Wasn't that something to do with the resolution, which caused problems for developers?
Most of the best ones were straight speccy port overs.
And cheers, Baldurs, Inside Outing was the game I was thinking of. Incidentally I think the 64 version was not a speccy port.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 am

As far I'd remember the C64 Ultimate games had their own original games & not speccy ports!

ulala

Post by ulala » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:26 am

Aside from some games already mentioned,

Ant Attack
Zaxon
Gunfright
Gyroscope
The great escape
Last Ninja
Viewpoint
Sim CIty
Cobra Triangle
Syndicate

All wonderful isometric games.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:29 am

I can control isometric games.... but not driving ones... I don't know why... anyone else??
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:29 am

markopoloman wrote:The C64 wasn't exactly overrun with isometric games.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Wasn't that something to do with the resolution, which caused problems for developers?
Not really - 2x1 blocky pixels are ideal for drawing isometric sprites.

The problem came down to Ultimate insisting on trying to code their conversions using exactly the same techniques as the originals. Trying to port the Speccy layering and masking code onto the C64 (with its different screen layout and slower processor) would be a disaster.

If you look at the C64 Ultimate games, they were rigged so that your sprite couldn't pass behind any of the scenery - only other hardware sprites (which could be ordered) - so masking code wasn't needed. But like Rasputin, these were oblique perspective. Two axes were aligned with the screen, and depth was on a diagonal.

Eventually developers got the hang of achieving the same effects and converting isometric stuff to the C64. But they were still doing it with ports from the Speccy, so they still ended up with just simple copies of the hi-res graphics, both on the C64 (monochrome) and the CPC (where 4-colour Head Over Heels looks great).

I trust the owners of these machines could find some lo-res, more colourful examples from later games...
Last Ninja is the obvious one I suppose - could you actually pass behind scenic items in that?

And a good shout about Highway Encounter.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:17 pm

This reminds me I never did finish Mr Robot. Really must track that down and buy it, I had it free with a Gametap sub iirc.

If you like that sort of thing, you might want to look it up, it came out on PC a few years back.

As for the Powerdrive Rally argument, I reckon its isometric as long as you're racing along a 'diagonal' track section, but not on the horizontal or vertical when its in the same above and behind perspective as games like Cyclone or TLL (so yes, its really an oblique, but I had to have a say didn't I).

I quite like that style of racer, there's a few in MAME I throw on from time to time. Usually they work pretty well with digital control on a stick/pad/keyboard so they're good all rounders that way.

This thread's another chance to pimp Space 1999 on the Oric too ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.