Any love for the isometric style game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pantal00ns

Re: Any love for the isometric style game?

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:04 am

snowkatt wrote:not a fan off isometri cracers either
but im not a fan of isometrics at all they never clicked with me

surprised nobody mentioned fallout 1 and 2 or balders gate or icewind dal yet though
I gave a mention as the 'Early Fallouts' but it was easily missed in the pile of b0ll0x I wrote. :wink:

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 am

Many an hour spent on Batman and Head Over Heels on the Speccy. MOVIE was great, and in a similar vein - Shadowrun on the SNES.
Escape From The Planet of the Robot Monsters?
And what about Phantom Club - I think it was universally panned, but I always kinda liked it.

More recently, games like the GBA incarnation of the Lego Star wars games spring to mind - they were quite enjoyable...
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:23 pm

The Laird wrote:
clarance wrote:Powerdrive is isometric, fact-boy.
Then you are playing a completely different Powerdrive to the one I own on 2 systems.
Yeah, that'll be it - either that or you're wrong Mr Laird :lol: I've had a look at the Jaguar version, and it's quite clearly isometric, don't know which other version you're talking about, but they all seem to follow the same pattern...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:59 pm

^ I dunno actually, is this it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em6KGZ5Amd0
Cos that seems top down, but the way the car moves and stuff gives it a bit of an isometric feel to the graphics.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Civilization (all!) Great series of games, and definitely isometric. :wink:
X-Com Enemy Unknown was another great game.

I wouldn't say that I love or hate the isometric style, but it can be used to good effect, and certainly works well with turn based strategy games.

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Mootown wrote:^ I dunno actually, is this it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em6KGZ5Amd0
Cos that seems top down, but the way the car moves and stuff gives it a bit of an isometric feel to the graphics.

Well, yeah, it is top down, but it is isometric as well - you're viewing the action from above, but not from a 90 degrees angle to the horizontal, from a slightly tilted one, and so a 3D effect can be seen - and not only on the cars - look at the way the edges of the track shadows to reflect the tilted angle of view, also fences and walls also reflect the isometric view.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Hiro wrote:Not really a fan of isometric racers, I prefer (fake or real) 3D ones. I like isometric puzzle/action games best, Bombuzal is one of my favourites, Brat on the Amiga and good old Marble Madness are great too.

Bombuzal is a great isometric game, but try playing it without the use of the top-down 2d view and it's (almost) impossible.

The C&C/Red Alert games were superb until someone decided that they would be much better in 3D (or worse FPS!). Isometric still has it's place, but the need for companies to make games in 3d/first person has made them lose sight of what makes a good game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:47 pm

So now it is both? Yeah ok :?

When I interviewed the developers they certainly didn't call it isometric . . . . .

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:51 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Hiro wrote:Not really a fan of isometric racers, I prefer (fake or real) 3D ones. I like isometric puzzle/action games best, Bombuzal is one of my favourites, Brat on the Amiga and good old Marble Madness are great too.

Bombuzal is a great isometric game, but try playing it without the use of the top-down 2d view and it's (almost) impossible.
That's one of the things that make it great: the double viewpoint. I personally recall using both, mostly the isometric view but switching (often or not, depending on the level) to the top-down view. Since we don't all reason the same way, I guess everyone had their own preference and style of play, and considering the strict memory limitations of the 8-bit machines the double view was a remarkable achievement.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:01 pm

The Laird wrote:So now it is both? Yeah ok :?

When I interviewed the developers they certainly didn't call it isometric . . . . .

Well, if you interviewed the developers then, wow, I'm so sorry - then I must be wrong and you must be right :roll:

I merely pointed out that it is isometric... ok?

You really are quite special. And wrong :)

Oh, and here's a link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_ ... _pixel_art

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:12 pm

I think Head over Heels was the absolute best of the arcade-adventure-maze style games. I wanted to like Monster Max, but compared to HoH I found it a bit lacking. And Quazatron rates very highly. Though some people prefer the likes of Spindizzy and Marble Madness. There were a few prettier arcade-adventures on the ST and Amiga but I seem to remember they were fairly forgettable. The only one that stands out is the first God-sim, Populous. The style seems to have evolved into the RTSs and real-time RPGs of the PC. And I never played Little Big Planet, but that looked okay.

I quite like the isometric racing, so long as it's kept simple - my favourite was RC Pro-Am on the Gameboy. But if collisions and barging your way through are more important to the gameplay, then I much prefer a top-down view like Micro Machines or Super Cars.

And as for Viewpoint, I had it on the Playstation. It looks and sounds so much better than the Neo-Geo original (shame you can't extract the soundtrack, particularly for stage 2, as it's streamed from disk interleaved with the level data). But it is insanely, brutally hard. There are something like three passworded restart points on each level, and it can take days of gameplay just to attain the next restart point, never mind actually beat a level.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Looking at that Powerdrive link ive come to this conclusion.
The game certainly has a more isometric viewpoint than something like Micromachines but is far less isometric in its viewing angle than a game like Fairlight or Knightlore and the track itself is definitely top down but the car is slightly isometric as is some of the scenery when you are going round corners...
so you're both right really, lets not fall out over it, eh? :D
Also two other isometric adventures that spring to mind are Nosferatu a class game on 8bit systems and a game where you are a burgler in an isometric house but I cant for the life of me remember the name of it.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:22 pm

I think my top three favourite isometric games are LandStalker, Zaxxon 2000 and The Last Ninja.

All great games, although I've always found jumping/platforming aspects in isometric games to be a tricky affair...
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:26 pm

joefish wrote:There were a few prettier arcade-adventures on the ST and Amiga but I seem to remember they were fairly forgettable. The only one that stands out is the first God-sim, Populous.
How could I forget? :shock: Never really liked RTS games, but one of the few I really do like is Utopia on the Amiga, a lot better than Populous for me, in its isometric glory 8)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:41 pm

gman72 wrote:a game where you are a burgler in an isometric house but I cant for the life of me remember the name of it.
also your health or score was in isometric, little blocks and numbers in the bottom corner of the screen... its killing me trying to think of the name of this game. :x
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD