Any love for the isometric style game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

samhain81

Any love for the isometric style game?

Post by samhain81 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:36 am

Don't know if you would call it a genre, but just a general way the game is viewed..I don't know..

But I just want to express my love for this type of game. Particularly rally games. We need more racing games in this view.

Power Drive
Micro Maniacs
RC Challenge Pro

To name a few..

How about you all? Any love for this type of game? If so, what genre's in this format do you think suits it best?

Sports
Racing
Platform
RTS

The Laird

Re: Any love for the isometric style game?

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:39 am

Powerdrive is not isometric it's top down.
Last edited by The Laird on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:48 am

Powerdrive is isometric, fact-boy.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:51 am

The Laird wrote:Powerdrive and Micro Machines are not isometric, they are top down.
Didn't say Micro Machines, did I?

Micro Maniacs

lol, double owned

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:31 am

Isometric makes me instantly think of the 8-bit platformers and the success they had. Even though I am not a major fan of platformers I appreciate they certainly made an impact.

Having a speccy back in the day Ant attack (topical for current RG issue), started it and Ultimate perfected it. Then games like Head over heels, Movie and Fairlight took it a little bit further.

Personally the RTS suits this type of game best, mainly due to it being one of my favourite gernes. Command and conquer series, Syndicate, Planetscape Torment, Early Fallouts, later heroes of might and magic titles (Ok some are turn based but close enough!)

I think it looks fine for Racing games but to be honest I have played enough to comment how well it works compared to top down or 1st/3rd person.

Shooters also should get a mention with Zaxxon and Viewpoint (not played it but looks great). Probably a fair few other but cant think.

With the Son of Mr Hewson on this forum slot Quazatron into the mix as well, Isometric Puzzler/Shooter type Gerne.

So yeah I suppose I am a fan of Isometric style, looking at games I played back in the day.

Note: I think Powerdrive is Isometric and Top down(ish) depending on where you are on the course, but hey :wink: .

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:46 am

There were tons of good isometric arcade adventures on the 8bits Knightlore and Head Over Heels being two of the most popular. See also Batman, Ant Attack, Sweevos World, Fairlight, Mermaid Madness to name just a few.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:13 am

Isometric graphics are ace - love Head over Heels and Batman, big fan of Alien 8 too.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:51 am

Isometric games were awesome. I'm still very surprised that so few dev's are doing iso games for IOS/Android etc.

Head over heels was one of my fave's too - remember 'Movie'? That was just brilliant!

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:53 am

Not really a fan of isometric racers, I prefer (fake or real) 3D ones. I like isometric puzzle/action games best, Bombuzal is one of my favourites, Brat on the Amiga and good old Marble Madness are great too.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:06 am

I like the old isometric style of game. I mean Knight Lore or Alien 8, i've seen some walkthroughs of those games and its amazing how kids back then completed those games. They must have spent hours and hours trying to map out the rooms etc. Head over Heels ! Again saw a walkthrough, amazing how people completed that without pokes etc. Same with Monster Max, that games meant to be quite huge on the Gameboy, i often fire that up for a quick go but nothing serious

Do enjoy isometic racing games, played a few of those.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:11 am

psj3809 wrote:I like the old isometric style of game. I mean Knight Lore or Alien 8, i've seen some walkthroughs of those games and its amazing how kids back then completed those games. They must have spent hours and hours trying to map out the rooms etc. Head over Heels ! Again saw a walkthrough, amazing how people completed that without pokes etc. Same with Monster Max, that games meant to be quite huge on the Gameboy, i often fire that up for a quick go but nothing serious

Do enjoy isometic racing games, played a few of those.
I was obsessed with Head over Heels for years - used to be able to complete it without cheats/pokes but man, it took some doing...

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:31 am

You can't really mention isometric gameplay without mentioning Diablo, what a game!

Also enjoy the likes of marble madness, snake rattle n roll and sonic 3D (on the Saturn)
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 am

not a fan off isometri cracers either
but im not a fan of isometrics at all they never clicked with me

surprised nobody mentioned fallout 1 and 2 or balders gate or icewind dal yet though
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:03 am

clarance wrote:Powerdrive is isometric, fact-boy.
Then you are playing a completely different Powerdrive to the one I own on 2 systems.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:04 am

I love the arcade ones like zaxxon, q-bert, congo bongo, marble madness, paperboy & 720

Found a list in Wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:V ... c_graphics